GCS Forum: My Gardening Journal .... Aquaponics, Hydroponics, Community Garden, Corridor etc - GCS Forum

• 5 Pages +

My Gardening Journal .... Aquaponics, Hydroponics, Community Garden, Corridor etc Rojak ... Messy Garden ...

#41 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:46 PM

View PostJesse, on 07 November 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

I thought sweet potato can thrive in our weather but not potato.

i thought it only applies to potato for the toxin and not sweet potato?

Sweet potato grows well in the tropics, can be grown from the tuber you show sprouting or can be grown from a cutting just cut off a piece and plant . It is very invasive and takes up a lot of space I grow mine around banana plants so keeps the ground area around the base of the banana covered from weeds etc.

#42 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:23 PM

Wow your veges are all so lush and green! Eh Soup Restaurant's grandma/grandpa sweet potato leaves taste very good, maybe you can learn the recipe to fry the extra leaves!

#43 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:53 AM

I am on an American forum and this is about growing strawberries hydroponically with no pumps electricity etc called the Kratky method which I also use for my chinese vegetables open the link and have a look , this process works well with all kinds of vegetables my Kang Kong really does well , as does lettuce etc etc.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Iu7bIrbKaDg

#44 User is offline   Jesse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:39 AM

View PostRobert1943, on 07 November 2014 - 07:46 PM, said:

Sweet potato grows well in the tropics, can be grown from the tuber you show sprouting or can be grown from a cutting just cut off a piece and plant . It is very invasive and takes up a lot of space I grow mine around banana plants so keeps the ground area around the base of the banana covered from weeds etc.

I intend to make one part of the community garden lush and sweet potato is one of the choice. I love that it is invasive. I also intend to grow some pumpkin n water melon at that part.

View Postlazearus, on 07 November 2014 - 09:23 PM, said:

Wow your veges are all so lush and green! Eh Soup Restaurant's grandma/grandpa sweet potato leaves taste very good, maybe you can learn the recipe to fry the extra leaves!

When it is a weed and a delicacy, i think it is best of both world.

View PostRobert1943, on 08 November 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

I am on an American forum and this is about growing strawberries hydroponically with no pumps electricity etc called the Kratky method which I also use for my chinese vegetables open the link and have a look , this process works well with all kinds of vegetables my Kang Kong really does well , as does lettuce etc etc.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Iu7bIrbKaDg

Hi Robert, thanks for sharing. Setting up the system pose no problem for me. Is the lack of space and sun that give me more issues. For example, i tried planting some vege (using soil) at my corridor, they dun even sprout. When i planted at the community garden. i manage to harvest them in 3 weeks cause of the strong sun. I have tried nai bai, kailan, kang kong and lettuce at my corridor, so far only lettuce sprout and the growth rate is quite slow. I will still be trying and hopefully, something will thrive.

#45 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    Helping others.

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:27 AM

View PostJesse, on 10 November 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

I intend to make one part of the community garden lush and sweet potato is one of the choice. I love that it is invasive. I also intend to grow some pumpkin n water melon at that part.

When it is a weed and a delicacy, i think it is best of both world.

Hi Robert, thanks for sharing. Setting up the system pose no problem for me. Is the lack of space and sun that give me more issues. For example, i tried planting some vege (using soil) at my corridor, they dun even sprout. When i planted at the community garden. i manage to harvest them in 3 weeks cause of the strong sun. I have tried nai bai, kailan, kang kong and lettuce at my corridor, so far only lettuce sprout and the growth rate is quite slow. I will still be trying and hopefully, something will thrive.

Hi Jesse I think you have hit the answer on the head all plants need sunlight to produce growth and warmth to germinate the seed, the answer to no light is to use artificial light to have the same effects on growth.You may not want to go down this path as there is a cost involved. If you have a small patio ( not corridor) you will have success. If you have a window ledge also with light this will also work. In some countries where there is a severe dark winter people grow in basements with artificial light, even in submarines they grow plants with artificial light but as mentioned there is the cost of lighting and where to set up as corridors have people traffic etc and may not be practical. I would stick to soil growing at the community garden if there are restrictions as I have mentioned , good luck and keep me posted.

#46 User is offline   Jesse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

View PostRobert1943, on 10 November 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

Hi Jesse I think you have hit the answer on the head all plants need sunlight to produce growth and warmth to germinate the seed, the answer to no light is to use artificial light to have the same effects on growth.You may not want to go down this path as there is a cost involved. If you have a small patio ( not corridor) you will have success. If you have a window ledge also with light this will also work. In some countries where there is a severe dark winter people grow in basements with artificial light, even in submarines they grow plants with artificial light but as mentioned there is the cost of lighting and where to set up as corridors have people traffic etc and may not be practical. I would stick to soil growing at the community garden if there are restrictions as I have mentioned , good luck and keep me posted.

Hi Robert, actually there is still lighting along the corridor, as to whether it is enough or not, i cant be sure. The only artificial lighting in my house is above my aquarium which i am using for some vegetable planting if possible. I also using it for growing sphagnum moss.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l56/jessetanbk/Gardening%20Journal/Aquaponics/791346AC-0EF6-4A88-973C-F1495EE75422_1.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l56/jessetanbk/Gardening%20Journal/Aquaponics/82E2DC72-7B57-4B1B-94AB-879E09B19DD4.jpg

#47 User is offline   Jesse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:57 AM

This is the plot i am growing on to plant pumpkin and sweet potato. The pumpkin seeds have already germinated but the growth rate is slow as the weather is very bad, raining almost everyday.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l56/jessetanbk/Gardening%20Journal/Community%20Garden/C7F1FB6B-41AE-40FD-9323-EADA6ECB2821.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l56/jessetanbk/Gardening%20Journal/Community%20Garden/4E540454-FF1A-4069-BD90-E748C3781098.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l56/jessetanbk/Gardening%20Journal/Community%20Garden/890705EC-7489-4DCD-88DF-3B4874216216.jpg

#48 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:38 AM

View PostJesse, on 19 November 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

This is the plot i am growing on to plant pumpkin and sweet potato. The pumpkin seeds have already germinated but the growth rate is slow as the weather is very bad, raining almost everyday.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l56/jessetanbk/Gardening%20Journal/Community%20Garden/C7F1FB6B-41AE-40FD-9323-EADA6ECB2821.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l56/jessetanbk/Gardening%20Journal/Community%20Garden/4E540454-FF1A-4069-BD90-E748C3781098.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l56/jessetanbk/Gardening%20Journal/Community%20Garden/890705EC-7489-4DCD-88DF-3B4874216216.jpg

Yeah, it's been a thunderstorm week. Hope that your plants will grow well. I saw you filled up lots of surface area of your aquarium tank with a floating platform for veg.

My fishes are now eating leaves of lettuces that droop onto the water surface

#49 User is offline   Jesse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:56 AM

Ya the plants are still doing fine, just that they are not growing as fast as before. I also did some major trimming cause some tall plants cannot stand the heavy rain and start to sway to one side.

How is the growth rate for your lettuce? mine is really very slow, not too sure is normal or not. Thinking of trying kale or rocket.

Below is the one i had done previously, growth rate is slow, could be due to lowering of water level as this one dun float.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l56/jessetanbk/Gardening%20Journal/Aquaponics/65FC13A4-1FC8-4C17-ADC8-3EE792F0E09C.jpg

#50 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    Helping others.

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:21 AM

[quote name='Jesse' timestamp='1416365775' post='370357']
Ya the plants are still doing fine, just that they are not growing as fast as before. I also did some major trimming cause some tall plants cannot stand the heavy rain and start to sway to one side.

How is the growth rate for your lettuce? mine is really very slow, not too sure is normal or not. Thinking of trying kale or rocket.

Below is the one i had done previously, growth rate is slow, could be due to lowering of water level as this one dun float.

Hi Jesse you are doing really well trial and error I have found is the best teacher even though it is frustrating, lettuce will do very well as does Kang Kong in a weak nutrient , plus lighting can be weak. I have found over the years that companion planting is the way to go eg , some plant,like lots of light and heat and others like lettuce and kang kong can take weak light and weak nutrients.

I have attached a scale not to confuse you but to show what plants like different PH and nutrient strengths to indicate what I mentioned about companion planting.
For instance if you look at the chart and see Bok Choy it is not compatable with lettuce and that is the point I am trying to make.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/PH-and-EC_zpsadf99fa2.jpg

This post has been edited by Robert1943: 19 November 2014 - 11:22 AM

#51 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    Helping others.

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:27 AM

I have found a happy medium where most plants will thrive and grow together , Ph about 6.2 and an EC nutrient level of about 1.5 , I understand that you are doing things by trial and error at present and that will suffice until you determine what plants are doing the best.

#52 User is offline   Jesse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for the table, i didnt know that lettuce require so little nutrient to grow. Read too many reviews on the net and some said fast growth and some said slow, i guess i have to be patient.

ya still trial and errors, i guess will take some time.

#53 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    Helping others.

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:59 PM

View PostJesse, on 19 November 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

Thanks for the table, i didnt know that lettuce require so little nutrient to grow. Read too many reviews on the net and some said fast growth and some said slow, i guess i have to be patient.

ya still trial and errors, i guess will take some time.

Lettuce are fast growers and are commercially grown hydroponically successfully all around the world .
There are so many types and colours available in lettuce and are attractive ornamentally as well.

PS in all my years of gardening (NEVER I REPEAT NEVER) grow Brussel Sprouts after 7 months they are finally ready and have taken up so much space I could have used productively with other plants, plus I could have bought them in the supermarket better quality .

I noticed in one of you postings that you had to reduce the growth as they were getting leggy, I do not do this as it probably means that the plant is stretching towards the light , however I find that if I plant the seedling a little deeper just as the roots touch the water source in your net pot , I always put a few grow pebbles I dont know what you call them but the baked clay pebbles used in all hydroponics so the water is just level with these pebbles I then put in the seedling and fill with pebbles to the top so it is anchored and wont wobble around and grow straight. I will send a few photos of my Bok Choy I planted a couple of weeks ago and they show that being a little wobbly wont make any problems I will then send further photos to show these plants in various of growth that you may relate to.

#54 User is offline   Jesse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:05 AM

View PostRobert1943, on 19 November 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

Lettuce are fast growers and are commercially grown hydroponically successfully all around the world .
There are so many types and colours available in lettuce and are attractive ornamentally as well.

PS in all my years of gardening (NEVER I REPEAT NEVER) grow Brussel Sprouts after 7 months they are finally ready and have taken up so much space I could have used productively with other plants, plus I could have bought them in the supermarket better quality .

I noticed in one of you postings that you had to reduce the growth as they were getting leggy, I do not do this as it probably means that the plant is stretching towards the light , however I find that if I plant the seedling a little deeper just as the roots touch the water source in your net pot , I always put a few grow pebbles I dont know what you call them but the baked clay pebbles used in all hydroponics so the water is just level with these pebbles I then put in the seedling and fill with pebbles to the top so it is anchored and wont wobble around and grow straight. I will send a few photos of my Bok Choy I planted a couple of weeks ago and they show that being a little wobbly wont make any problems I will then send further photos to show these plants in various of growth that you may relate to.

I guess it is different for me, i find lettuce quite a slow grower. At the community garden. i planted nai bai, kang kong, jielan and lettuce, already harvested the first 2 few weeks back, this weekend going to harvest the 3rd one, lettuce still a few leaves. Planted them on same soil. Hopefully the one above my aquarium will do well.

Look forward to your pics, really have a lot to learn.

#55 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    Helping others.

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:38 AM

View PostJesse, on 20 November 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

I guess it is different for me, i find lettuce quite a slow grower. At the community garden. i planted nai bai, kang kong, jielan and lettuce, already harvested the first 2 few weeks back, this weekend going to harvest the 3rd one, lettuce still a few leaves. Planted them on same soil. Hopefully the one above my aquarium will do well.

Look forward to your pics, really have a lot to learn.

#56 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    Helping others.

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:42 AM

Jesse dont worry about lettuce they are a cool weather crop and that is why in Malaysia they are grown in the Cameron Highlands, try your hallway and see if you have any success there.
Yesterday I Mentioned that I too have leggy plants but it is all due to sunlight and which plants get the most light, these plants were planted on the same day but as you can see due to light some plants grew taller, so I rearranged them so the smaller plants can catch up.These are Bok Choy.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/20141120_131523_zps5d028cd1.jpg

This post has been edited by Robert1943: 20 November 2014 - 11:43 AM

#57 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    Helping others.

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:50 AM

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/20141120_131546_zps4e429439.jpg

I just planted some strawberries in an old bucket will keep you posted

Also my Egg plants are fruiting will have to tie up to stop the plants falling over.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/20141120_131619_zpscf2eb41d.jpg

#58 User is offline   Jesse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:57 AM

Cool, seem like your plants are doing well. Ya i will have to wait patiently. Cool vege dun really thrive here.

Your pak choy grow for how many days already? Your eggplants seem like a small plant. Keep us updated on the strawberries.

Anyone tried growing purple flesh sweet potato? I tried soaking in water and there seem to have no buds and the water really smelled.

#59 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    Helping others.

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostJesse, on 20 November 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

Cool, seem like your plants are doing well. Ya i will have to wait patiently. Cool vege dun really thrive here.

Your pak choy grow for how many days already? Your eggplants seem like a small plant. Keep us updated on the strawberries.

Anyone tried growing purple flesh sweet potato? I tried soaking in water and there seem to have no buds and the water really smelled.

#60 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    Helping others.

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:06 PM

My Pak Choy is about 2 weeks old, the egg plant is very small 2 days old and will grow much larger .
Some time ago you mentioned Kang Kong and the way I grow is in two to three stages
1. I plant seeds or cuttings
2. I harvest
3 I plant some more seeds or cuttings

In the attached photo the larger ones were harvested two weeks ago and have regrowth, the smaller ones are seedlings I planted and so I keep two growing Kang Kong plants in the one tray , one for harvesting the other to be ready when the regrowth ones are ready to reharvest again. The bigger the plant the faster growth.

PS it is windy today so that is why the plants look a little lop sided I just ran outside and took a photo.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/20141120_135353_zps4c680cbd.jpg

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users