Help needed from veggie growers

#1 User is offline   brendali 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Diving, reading and gardening

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:19 AM

Hi all,
Town council had just approve and work on my area CG. However, it will only be ready end Oct and must do opening by mid Nov. I'm not a veggie grower so will really appreciate if I can get advices here cos I have 6 plots to 'fill' for the Opening Day.

1) soil issue
We will be given the usual topsoil and compost from Town Council. Will it help and improve the veg if I top up a layer of Tref for the veg? Other then bone meal, is there any other fertilizers I should get?

2) shade cloth
The area has full morning and afternoon sun. Will they need to be shaded or it is okay that I can leave them expose as least till after the Opening Day?

3) choice of veg
I only have 15 days to prepare the garden for opening. But thankfully I have a lot of residents who are willing to take care of the plants from now till the garden is ready along their corridors. So I thought of getting those black grow bags to do seedlings. But any idea if the vegetables will be fine to grow 15 days in black bags then transplant into the ground? Any recommendations for easier and faster choices? I will be visiting World Farm and the seed shop at Clark quay this weekend.

4) okra plants
I have a resident who offered a dried pod of okra to grow. So I thought of growing 4 plants out of it then plop into one of the plot. Can I do complement gardening with it? For example, filling the ground (since it is like a mini tree) with Kangkong or some creeping edibles?

5) pesticide
Any recommendations that is mild in case I really have to resort to it? It will be a headache if end up transplanting in and we lose the battle to insect within the 15 days to Opening cos it is a new area non of us ever grown before. It is next to a canal so high chance loads of snails.

6) big pests
We have rats, cats and snakes issues here. Is there any concerns that I might have for veggie growing? I already ask to build the planters 3 bricks high to deter...

Thanks in advance for any advices!

#2 User is offline   DarylC 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Herbs, Carnivorous Plants

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:28 AM

From personal experience, kangkong can grow very fast. I bought seeds from NTUC before and they sprouted overnight. You can also try planting stems with roots still attached and they can grow back.

Onions and gingers are also easy options as they need little time to start sending up shoots.

#3 User is offline   brendali 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:16 AM

View PostDarylC, on 11 October 2014 - 12:28 AM, said:

From personal experience, kangkong can grow very fast. I bought seeds from NTUC before and they sprouted overnight. You can also try planting stems with roots still attached and they can grow back.

meaning i can sow straight into the beds, by 15 days they will be of decent size for presentation?

Onions and gingers are also easy options as they need little time to start sending up shoots.

#4 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

Mout important question , how many hours of direct sunight do u get in a day ?

#5 User is offline   brendali 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:11 AM

View Postdigitalgate, on 11 October 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

Mout important question , how many hours of direct sunight do u get in a day ?

That area gets full day sun so it is really hot in the afternoon till evening

#6 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

meaning i can sow straight into the beds, by 15 days they will be of decent size for presentation?

2 weeks' time is too short to sow anything from seeds & to have them reach decent size for presentation. Some seeds take at least 1 week to germinate. You have to buy instant plants from nurseries and then transplant them to the ground.

We have rats, cats and snakes issues here. Is there any concerns that I might have for veggie growing? I already ask to build the planters 3 bricks high to deter...

Planters that are 3 bricks high will not deter rats, cats or snakes.

#7 User is offline   brendali 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostWisteria, on 11 October 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

2 weeks' time is too short to sow anything from seeds & to have them reach decent size for presentation. Some seeds take at least 1 week to germinate. You have to buy instant plants from nurseries and then transplant them to the ground.

we have limited funding really as the garden is far from the RC thus we had to get a garden shed to lock the tools. How about transplanting half grown kangkong? Since they are so hardy.. can work? Btw, any idea if I can grow them in the same plot as the okra?

Planters that are 3 bricks high will not deter rats, cats or snakes.

#8 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:48 AM

My suggestions:

1) Sow your okra seeds immediately and grow in pots containing 100% TREF. 1 plant per pot. By mid Nov, they will be 3-4 weeks old and ready for transplant to the ground.

2) Go to the wet market to buy these leafy vegetables ~ sweet potato leaves, ceylon spinach & cekur manis. Pluck the leaves for consumption and poke all the thicker stems into soil. These 3 can easily be propagated via stem cuttings. In 3-4 weeks time, they will have rooted well and grown a fair amount of leaves. Then you transplant them to the ground.

#9 User is offline   brendali 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

View PostWisteria, on 11 October 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

My suggestions:

1) Sow your okra seeds immediately and grow in pots containing 100% TREF. 1 plant per pot. By mid Nov, they will be 3-4 weeks old and ready for transplant to the ground.

2) Go to the wet market to buy these leafy vegetables ~ sweet potato leaves, ceylon spinach & cekur manis. Pluck the leaves for consumption and poke all the thicker stems into soil. These 3 can easily be propagated via stem cuttings. In 3-4 weeks time, they will have rooted well and grown a fair amount of leaves. Then you transplant them to the ground.

ooh... that is good news! all these also need to use pure Tref?

#10 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:42 AM

You can use $2 normal soil (choose the dark brown or black type) for the leafy vegetable stem cuttings. I use TREF for sowing seeds. Seedlings grow very fast in TREF with minimal effort on growers' part.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users