GCS Forum: Growing mint? - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Growing mint? Help required!

#1 User is offline   brownbear 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:42 PM

I was reading some websites and alot of them were saying that it is almost impossible in some scenarios to grow mint from seed.
So the best method is still using a cutting and growing it from there.

Went around those DIY shops and unfortunately, couldn't find any mint seeds to experiment.

Just wondering if anyone can help?

I am not sure what else to grow. The sweet basil seeds I'd bought from the DIY store a few days ago are all germinating very well along with the capsicum plant that I'd transplanted the seedings to full soil, so once I'd transplanted all these, I was thinking of growing another batch of herbs so mint came to mind.

Any help to getting mint seeds (if its even remotely possible to germinate them!) or mint cuttings would be helpful!

#2 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:11 PM

Mint grow quite well from seed . But I have friends who are very good gardener who have problem growing from seed . So it is difficult to say if it is going to be difficult for u . Why don't u try ?

#3 User is offline   DarylC 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Herbs, Carnivorous Plants

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:44 PM

Mint is readily available in most plant nurseries in Singapore, with the more uncommon Pineapple Mint being sold by NParks during their Gardener's Day Out (next one in December) 4 times a year.

That being said, I've tried growing Peppermint from seed before (bought at NTUC, they have a small gardening section) and while I've had them since May, they are nowhere near as big as those from nurseries (maybe because I don't fertilise or that I just neglect it beyond watering it). I have Chocolate Mint currently and they are easy to root from cuttings.

#4 User is offline   brownbear 

• PipPip

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:18 PM

Wow, didn't know about this Gardener's Day Out thing! Thanks DarylC!

Will try my luck with the mint seeds at Cold Storage first. Sometimes they do sell those seeds for planting. My last purchase of Horti sunflower seeds did not turn out too well. Only managed to sprout 2 strong ones. Plan to get more sunflower seeds. But so far getting lucky with their sweet basil seeds. Its all germinating like crazy in an enclosed plastic food container. Probably can transplant it to soil after the long weekend next week.

Lets see if I can get lucky with mint seeds first. If I fall flat on my nose, perhaps I should look at mint cuttings from you guys. Kinda feels like 'cheating' if I were to use cuttings or to buy a pot of it straightaway. It kills the enjoyment. :D/>/>

P/S: DarylC, I am thinking of growing Carolina Reapers and Trinidad Moruga Scorpion as well and looking at eBay.

This post has been edited by brownbear: 26 September 2014 - 06:19 PM

#5 User is offline   Laurence 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:British Personal Trainer growing veg and herbs on my roof in singapore.

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:07 PM

I have grown three varieties from seed well in Singapore, each of them have a different shape and size leaf. However the ones from the garden cane are just fine too. I have so many cuttings and have tried growing them all in every way and in fact cuttings from the same plant grow differently depending on conditions.

I just thought I would share that the depper the pot, the thicker the mint grows and the bigger the leaves. I have just added some new photos to my blog

http://laurencemanch...-singapore.html

I have so much mint. If anyone wants some they can come and get some mint plants. I have many pots of mint which I no longer require as the mint is growing mental in my papaya and banana tree pots.

Laurence

This post has been edited by Laurence: 14 February 2015 - 12:30 PM

#6 User is offline   BeatriceSmith101 

• Pip

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:03 PM

I think they exaggerated the results. It's true that growing mint with cutting will have a more chance of germinating, but growing with seeds is fine too. What you will need is some rooting hormone and a good piece of soil for the plant to grow. And the environment also plays an important role (25 to 28oC is best). Good luck.

This post has been edited by BeatriceSmith101: 24 November 2017 - 02:44 PM

#7 User is offline   lollipot 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Girls and bus driver uncles.

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:16 PM

Mint grew from seeds are messy. I tried before, the results not very good - seeds from horti. Just buy a plant is preferred - my experience.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users