GCS Forum: Singapore Garden Festival - 2014 - Orchids - GCS Forum

Jump to content

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

Singapore Garden Festival - 2014 - Orchids

#21 User is offline   furret 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 427
  • Joined: 18-December 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ghim Moh

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

View Poststhh, on 17 August 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

I think i saw you at the stall with your mum. You must be that enthusiastic boy. I also bought one of the only 2 Sophronitis Cernua (Mounted on oak), but as i have grown hybrid of them before, they are not easy plants, and can rot easily. Do try to keep them growing in your place, and give them the environment they need. I will grow them in very bright with no direct sun environment and water them carefully.

Were you that really buff guy? Haha ok thanks for the advice... looks like I have to go do research on them.. is it alright that the leaves feel really tugid and hard?
Do PM me
Cheers
Furret
0

#22 User is offline   Chatbud 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 598
  • Joined: 12-June 13

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:23 PM

Wah lao, sthh, 14! What did you buy?? QUick post!
0

#23 User is offline   sthh 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1862
  • Joined: 13-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sembawang

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

View Postfurret, on 17 August 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

Were you that really buff guy? Haha ok thanks for the advice... looks like I have to go do research on them.. is it alright that the leaves feel really tugid and hard?
Do PM me
Cheers
Furret

Don't think I am the guy you spoke to. I hardly speak to anyone except for the plant vendors. It's good to look for orchid leaves that are really turgid and hard. It means they have received regular watering.

View PostChatbud, on 17 August 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

Wah lao, sthh, 14! What did you buy?? QUick post!


Oh... i am ashamed of my uncontrollable buying self. This figure of 14 no longer holds true. It's more in the 2x region now. Will post some pictures once i get them sorted out.

This post has been edited by sthh: 20 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

0

#24 User is offline   sthh 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1862
  • Joined: 13-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sembawang

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

Here's my damages:

Phals.
Seedlings:
Phal. corringiana (chantawisurt orchid, Thailand)
Phal. gigantea (chantawisurt orchid, Thailand)
Phal. violacea var. cerrurea (chantawisurt orchid, Thailand)
Phal. bellina 'alba'(chantawisurt orchid, Thailand)
Phal. Fusheng's world 'FS" sm Toga (Meidarland Orchids)
Phal. Golden Sun 'RL' x Ld's Bear King 'RK#1" (Meidarland Orchids)
Phal. Nobby's Green Eagle x bellina 'Blue" (Meidarland Orchids)
Phal. bellina x violacea (Joseph Wu)
Phal. bellina 'Blue' (Joseph Wu)

These will be grown in a basket with holes suspended by a plastic box, till they are ready to be mounted. Seedlings from Joseph Wu are not cheap, but their flowering samples are beautiful. Price of phal seedlings ranges from $10-20.
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0593_zps6fbe6cc0.jpg

Flowering Phals:
Phal. Tzu Chiang Prince (Joseph Wu)
Phal. Golden Sun (Meidarland Orchids)

Will grow it in pots for now, till I can find space to mount these 2 fellows. Joseph Wu stall increased the price of the Tzu Chiang Prince after I bought it on Sat, lol, and the Tzu Chiang Prince smells very nice !!!. The Phal Golden Sun is so red and well grown.
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0566_zpsf296dfcc.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0571_zpsa8cac471.jpg

Cattleya:
C. Chife Gem x Self (seedling from Meidarland Orchids)
C. Chife Gem x SLC. Dogashima Sunset (seedling from Meidarland Orchids)
sophronitis cernua (Joseph Wu)

All these cattelya have sophronitis blood in them, and will turn out so red when and if they bloom. The 2 seedlings are much more affordable at $10 than the blooming plant which cost $100. The sophronitis cernua is quite ex for a little plant. Bought it so that i may considering making hybrid from it in the future.
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0609_zps3ffb3fc7.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0592_zps8cc54974.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0591_zps9715f39d.jpg

Dendrobium:
Bought 5 hirsute dendrobium with nigrohirsute hybrid and cruentum hybrid in them. Had some success with them before, so I thought I could repeat my success with these. The mini den. Enobi Purple is very nice, and should be easy to grow. Bad thing is that the Thai vendor grew all the den. in coconut husk, which will rot easily here. I have to think about repotting them, arrgghh.. so much work.
Den. Frosty Dawn x Den formosum (Chanthasit Orchid)
Den. Mareezuki (Den. Frosty Dawn x Den Dawn Maree) (Chanthasit Orchid)
Den. dearei x Den lowwii (Chanthasit Orchid)
Den. lowwii (Chanthasit Orchid)
Den. Frosty Dawn x Den. fosidol
Den. Enobi Purple
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0601_zpsc85eff2b.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0610_zpsa8933477.jpg

Vanda:
Rhy. coelestis
Vasco. Janice Allison
The Rhy. coelestis is going to useful if I am going to hybridise some of my Vandas, but this is only going to bloom once a year. But at only $10, what the heck. The Vasco. Janice Allison is beautifully grown, and comes with 2 flowering spike, and 2 keiki, at $15 !!!
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0552_zps82d9ddda.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0556_zps59301e79.jpg

This post has been edited by sthh: 20 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

0

#25 User is offline   Two thumbs 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 121
  • Joined: 16-June 10
  • Gender:Female

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

Hi sthh, what a collection with beautiful flowers! Unfortunately, orchids are way beyond me, don't understand the naming, care etc. Only know how to enjoy the blooms :)/>

BTW, for a total newie, what type of orchid should one try? I visited the booth at SGF that sold the orange fire you mentioned and still dare not buy due to fear to killing it....
0

#26 User is offline   sthh 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1862
  • Joined: 13-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sembawang

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

View PostTwo thumbs, on 20 August 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Hi sthh, what a collection with beautiful flowers! Unfortunately, orchids are way beyond me, don't understand the naming, care etc. Only know how to enjoy the blooms :)/>/>/>/>/>

BTW, for a total newie, what type of orchid should one try? I visited the booth at SGF that sold the orange fire you mentioned and still dare not buy due to fear to killing it....


Buy that Orange Fire !!! Buy Buy !!. If you mount it on a fern bark, it will not die of rot, and will keep flowering on every new pseudobulb !!!
Mine is constantly flowering, and each pseudobulb has so many flowers.
Here's a pic of it flowering, just taken. You don't see this orchid commonly sold in Singapore.
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0574_zps02a05537.jpg

And did you also look at the Rhynchodenia Magic Wand?
Mine is flowering very regularly. And it is flowering now as well. But when i checked out the vendor, they brought in plants that are not flowering, so you may not recognize it. And they forgot to label it too. It is not commonly found in Singapore, and is sold cheaply at the garden fest.
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0523_zps6a6c5909.jpg

This post has been edited by sthh: 20 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

0

#27 User is offline   sthh 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1862
  • Joined: 13-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sembawang

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

Here's another good product that I just bought.
Fertiliser holder !!!
Pack of 10 for $2, and $5 for 3 packs.

Just what I needed, and it will make life so much easier for me once i fill them up with slow release fertiliser like osmocote.
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0611_zps070b2d9d.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0613_zps44681ffb.jpg
0

#28 User is offline   brett 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 605
  • Joined: 18-October 13

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

View Poststhh, on 20 August 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

Here's my damages:

Flowering Phals:
Phal. Tzu Chiang Prince (Joseph Wu)



Good haul !

So that's what it's called, Tzu Chiang Prince, she couldn't give me the name earlier ...

Argh, now must find the Tzu Chiang Princess :)/>

You had me worried where you wrote chantawisurt orchid. How could we have missed that ? But after looking at his namecard, we didn't miss it after all, it was under Kokkok Orchid Nursery. Got a lot from there too.


.

This post has been edited by brett: 20 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

0

#29 User is offline   sthh 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1862
  • Joined: 13-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sembawang

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

View Postbrett, on 20 August 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

Good haul !

So that's what it's called, Tzu Chiang Prince, she couldn't give me the name earlier ...

Argh, now must find the Tzu Chiang Princess :)/>/>

You had me worried where you wrote chantawisurt orchid. How could we have missed that ? But after looking at his namecard, we didn't miss it after all, it was under Kokkok Orchid Nursery. Got a lot from there too.


.


Did you buy the Phal. Joy Spring Canary from Joseph Wu? It's their pride and joy. Came with a big price tag, which I reasoned could buy me loads of orchids from Thai vendor, so I gave it a miss.
0

#30 User is offline   tc68 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 294
  • Joined: 10-April 13

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

Hello
Got some phals too..a question though..
Do you guys repot those spiking or flowering ones immediately or wait? Does repotting affect them?
Thanks.
Ps too many choices for a first timer to SGF...gonna ask my wife to tag along to rein me in! Should I decide to make another visit. :wacko:/>
0

#31 User is offline   sthh 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1862
  • Joined: 13-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sembawang

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

View Posttc68, on 20 August 2014 - 05:53 PM, said:

Hello
Got some phals too..a question though..
Do you guys repot those spiking or flowering ones immediately or wait? Does repotting affect them?
Thanks.
Ps too many choices for a first timer to SGF...gonna ask my wife to tag along to rein me in! Should I decide to make another visit. :wacko:/>/>


Always check the roots. If they are all nicely white with green tips, then just enjoy the flowers and don't rush to repot them. That way, you can enjoy the bloom first. I usually repot after the flowers have wilted.
0

#32 User is offline   tc68 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 294
  • Joined: 10-April 13

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

View Poststhh, on 20 August 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

Always check the roots. If they are all nicely white with green tips, then just enjoy the flowers and don't rush to repot them. That way, you can enjoy the bloom first. I usually repot after the flowers have wilted.


Thanks. I mounted two seedlings from Kakok. A bellina alba and a Cornu cervi flava x ambo flava. Roots are fleshy white but don't remember seeing any green tips though. Let see how they do...
Would you mount the Cornu cervi hybrid up or down? I mounted it hanging down like most phals though.
Thanks.
0

#33 User is offline   brett 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 605
  • Joined: 18-October 13

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

View Poststhh, on 20 August 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

Did you buy the Phal. Joy Spring Canary from Joseph Wu? It's their pride and joy. Came with a big price tag, which I reasoned could buy me loads of orchids from Thai vendor, so I gave it a miss.


No, I guess it didn't catch my fancy, I was more keen on their species, and hybrids later. That's the same reasoning I had, like I really wanted the multi-flowered $1k Gigantea mounted on the wall of a stall, looking like an art piece, so tempting (forgot where the stall was, looked like they only sold giganteas). But I decided to just get the smaller one and grow it to the same size, should be fulfilling if I can get it done.
0

#34 User is offline   Chatbud 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 598
  • Joined: 12-June 13

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:42 PM

sthh, which stall is selling Janice Allison & Magic Wand?
0

#35 User is offline   sthh 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1862
  • Joined: 13-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sembawang

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

View PostChatbud, on 20 August 2014 - 09:42 PM, said:

sthh, which stall is selling Janice Allison & Magic Wand?


It's a Thai stall near one of the supertree, near nep's stall.
If you are getting those vandas, I recommend you also get a spanish moss. Got my spanish moss for $4 for a large clump from the same Thai stall selling those vanda. Vanda roots loves those spanish moss around. This Janice Allison is priced from $10-30, depending on size. Looks like it's going to be another constant bloomer. The magic wands is all left in a cardboard, like selling vegetable, $10 for a plant.

This post has been edited by sthh: 20 August 2014 - 09:49 PM

0

#36 User is offline   furret 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 427
  • Joined: 18-December 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ghim Moh

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

Any Idea when the thai stalls are leaving? Thinking of convincing my parents to go and buy those two orchids since its so value for money haha
0

#37 User is offline   Two thumbs 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 121
  • Joined: 16-June 10
  • Gender:Female

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:45 PM

View Poststhh, on 20 August 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

Buy that Orange Fire !!! Buy Buy !!. If you mount it on a fern bark, it will not die of rot, and will keep flowering on every new pseudobulb !!!
Mine is constantly flowering, and each pseudobulb has so many flowers.
Here's a pic of it flowering, just taken. You don't see this orchid commonly sold in Singapore.
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0574_zps02a05537.jpg

And did you also look at the Rhynchodenia Magic Wand?
Mine is flowering very regularly. And it is flowering now as well. But when i checked out the vendor, they brought in plants that are not flowering, so you may not recognize it. And they forgot to label it too. It is not commonly found in Singapore, and is sold cheaply at the garden fest.
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0523_zps6a6c5909.jpg


Bought the orange fire today! How much light does it like? Any other advice on its growing condition? Thanks!
0

#38 User is offline   MT9 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10
  • Joined: 01-April 14

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:57 PM

Which stall you got the 'Orange Fire' and for how much?

Thanks! :rolleyes:/>
0

#39 User is offline   Chatbud 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 598
  • Joined: 12-June 13

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:22 PM

View Poststhh, on 20 August 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

It's a Thai stall near one of the supertree, near nep's stall.
If you are getting those vandas, I recommend you also get a spanish moss. Got my spanish moss for $4 for a large clump from the same Thai stall selling those vanda. Vanda roots loves those spanish moss around. This Janice Allison is priced from $10-30, depending on size. Looks like it's going to be another constant bloomer. The magic wands is all left in a cardboard, like selling vegetable, $10 for a plant.



sthh, the stall is manned by Thai ladies is it? They're selling packets of Cym. Golden Vanguard in sp. moss that stall?? They have a lot of vandas in all sizes all around the stall?
0

#40 User is offline   sthh 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1862
  • Joined: 13-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sembawang

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

View PostTwo thumbs, on 20 August 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

Bought the orange fire today! How much light does it like? Any other advice on its growing condition? Thanks!

I grow my orange fire with very bright morning sun. It is mounted on a fernbark with no moss, and watered every morning, fertilised weakly weekly.
0

Share this topic:


  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users