GCS Forum: Singapore Garden Festival - 2014 - Orchids - GCS Forum

Jump to content

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

Singapore Garden Festival - 2014 - Orchids

#41 User is offline   sthh 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1862
  • Joined: 13-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sembawang

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostMT9, on 20 August 2014 - 10:57 PM, said:

Which stall you got the 'Orange Fire' and for how much?

Thanks! :rolleyes:/>/>


The stall is Ching Hua Orchids
Epic. Volcano Trick 'Orange Fire'
0

#42 User is offline   sthh 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1862
  • Joined: 13-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sembawang

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

View PostChatbud, on 20 August 2014 - 11:22 PM, said:

sthh, the stall is manned by Thai ladies is it? They're selling packets of Cym. Golden Vanguard in sp. moss that stall?? They have a lot of vandas in all sizes all around the stall?

Yes, that's the stall. Try not to mix up the magic wand with the asco. miniatum. Likely in same cardboard box.
0

#43 User is offline   Rich1048 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 98
  • Joined: 07-March 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampines
  • Interests:Photography, travelling, aquarium and Gardening.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

Hi, any one went today to the market place ? Are most of the orchid stalls still around ? Intend to go tomorrow morning. tks
0

#44 User is offline   drektster 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 149
  • Joined: 14-February 12

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

View PostRich1048, on 22 August 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

Hi, any one went today to the market place ? Are most of the orchid stalls still around ? Intend to go tomorrow morning. tks

many stall singing this song

This post has been edited by drektster: 23 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

0

#45 User is offline   Chatbud 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 598
  • Joined: 12-June 13

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:53 AM

Kokkok closed liao.
0

#46 User is offline   sthh 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1862
  • Joined: 13-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sembawang

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

Decided to keep the newly acquired phals in pots. Just removed 50% to 70% of sphagnum moss from all the clear pots of phals, especially from the middle of the pot, and replaced the space with pine bark from world farm. It's going to be much easier to keep the phals alive, and going to only water them once or twice a week.

The phals from the kokkok thai stall has coconut husk mixed into the pot, those will rot easily. The phals from Meidarland Orchids is too tightly packed with moss, those from Joseph Wu are not as packed.
0

#47 User is offline   furret 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 427
  • Joined: 18-December 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ghim Moh

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:38 PM

View Poststhh, on 25 August 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

Decided to keep the newly acquired phals in pots. Just removed 50% to 70% of sphagnum moss from all the clear pots of phals, especially from the middle of the pot, and replaced the space with pine bark from world farm. It's going to be much easier to keep the phals alive, and going to only water them once or twice a week.

The phals from the kokkok thai stall has coconut husk mixed into the pot, those will rot easily. The phals from Meidarland Orchids is too tightly packed with moss, those from Joseph Wu are not as packed.

I Need help/tips of getting the den.s out of coconut husks anyone can help?

This post has been edited by furret: 25 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

0

#48 User is offline   sthh 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1862
  • Joined: 13-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sembawang

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

View Postfurret, on 25 August 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

I Need help/tips of getting the den.s out of coconut husks anyone can help?


I just did that for 5 of my dens from kokkok.
First, soak them in a pail of water for 30mins to 1 hour.
Then you slowly pry the coconut husk away, along the roots, try not to break the roots.
Use a sterilized scissor to cut away any dead roots.
Remove all the sphagnum moss that is packed with those slow released fertiliser packed in the middle of the moss. It is killing all the roots.
Use a tweezer to carefully remove any moss stuck amongst the roots. Rinse roots under running water to loosen the moss, and repeat moss removal process.
Once you get the bare-rooted den, repot in den in very large pieces of charcoal. You can also consider mounting nigrohirsute type den on fernbark.
0

#49 User is offline   brett 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 605
  • Joined: 18-October 13

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

Got a lot of small ones from Kokkok, they do have coconut chips. I've transferred almost all small ones from various SGF stalls into baskets.

I transferred one of my Joseph Wu phals into fern bark, it clearly has been in its plastic pot for some time, and was super tightly packed I had to use tweezers to slowly remove the sphagnum. It had very healthy roots so I can only assume that properly watered, tight packing is not a problem for the short-term (although not recommended).
0

#50 User is offline   furret 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 427
  • Joined: 18-December 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ghim Moh

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

View Postbrett, on 25 August 2014 - 06:34 PM, said:

Got a lot of small ones from Kokkok, they do have coconut chips. I've transferred almost all small ones from various SGF stalls into baskets.

I transferred one of my Joseph Wu phals into fern bark, it clearly has been in its plastic pot for some time, and was super tightly packed I had to use tweezers to slowly remove the sphagnum. It had very healthy roots so I can only assume that properly watered, tight packing is not a problem for the short-term (although not recommended).

I got one den. Bracteosum from them and just mounted it up with the moss... should I remove? I mount with wool string
0

#51 User is offline   ATP 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 97
  • Joined: 24-October 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:singapore

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:18 PM




This is a good tip. I had great trouble with coconut husk before.





0

#52 User is offline   sthh 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1862
  • Joined: 13-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sembawang

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:33 PM

View Postfurret, on 25 August 2014 - 06:49 PM, said:

I got one den. Bracteosum from them and just mounted it up with the moss... should I remove? I mount with wool string


Don't mount your den. Bracteosum with moss. The roots will rot. You should consider charcoal or bark chips.
0

#53 User is offline   furret 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 427
  • Joined: 18-December 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ghim Moh

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

View Poststhh, on 25 August 2014 - 07:33 PM, said:

Don't mount your den. Bracteosum with moss. The roots will rot. You should consider charcoal or bark chips.

As in I mounted the den. Bracteosum together with the moss that It was originally potted in on a piece of wood I bought from one of the thai stalls for $2 ermm does that mean that I should still remove?
Cheers
Furret
0

#54 User is offline   sthh 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1862
  • Joined: 13-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sembawang

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

View Postfurret, on 25 August 2014 - 08:10 PM, said:

As in I mounted the den. Bracteosum together with the moss that It was originally potted in on a piece of wood I bought from one of the thai stalls for $2 ermm does that mean that I should still remove?
Cheers
Furret

Remove the moss. Den. roots don't need to be covered in moss. Den draw their water and store them in the pseudobulb, so they are not so likely to dry out.

This post has been edited by sthh: 25 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

0

#55 User is offline   hazellina07 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42
  • Joined: 28-August 14

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

Was looking at ecuagenera website.Saw that they will be coming next year to Singapore again in November but thus could be just tentative.thought I'll share.but please keep a lookout and take note of deadline for pre orders.


SINGAPUR
November 05-07, 2015.
Green Urban Scape 2015 Show and Sale -Sinagpore
Address: Singapore Expo Convention & Exhibition Centre
Deadline for preorders: September 30, 2015

This post has been edited by hazellina07: 18 September 2014 - 06:47 PM

0

Share this topic:


  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users