GCS Forum: Singapore Garden Festival - 2014 - Orchids - GCS Forum

• 3 Pages +

Singapore Garden Festival - 2014 - Orchids

#1 User is offline   brett 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

Just went for a quick visit of the SGF Marketplace, some stalls already open ...

First stop was a Taiwanese shop, got some nice Phals. Second stop was Joseph Wu's stall, argh, stayed too long here. Top quality stuff, managed to get a pure white tetraspis (they only brought in a few), as well as a very white hieroglyphica with well-defined bars, and others. Saw a very red luedemanniana, never saw one like it before. The equestris they have is so unique ...

No more time, back again later for more ... poisonous marketplace for orchid lovers.

#2 User is offline   lavendergarden 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Associate Member
  • Interests:Lover of Lavenders. Huge Country Music Fan. Endorphin Junkie.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

Any lavender sightings? Thanks

Cheers

Joyce

#3 User is offline   brett 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

Sorry, Joyce, was not really paying much attention, was there only for a brief time and had a target already for Joseph Wu's stall. Just got sidetracked a bit at Ching Hua Orchids.

Anyway, many were still not open, still setting up. I saw neps store which was advertised in the sales section here still being set up as well.

#4 User is offline   keff 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

View Postlavendergarden, on 15 August 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

Any lavender sightings? Thanks

Cheers

Joyce

Actually yes, there is one stall called "Urban Green" or "Urban ...something" a few stalls down from the Taiwanese guy. They are selling seeds and vegetable starter kits. Very friendly and helpful people. Sorry I can't be more precise about the name or location. But they definitely have lavender!

K

This post has been edited by keff: 15 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

#5 User is offline   lavendergarden 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

View Postkeff, on 15 August 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

Actually yes, there is one stall called "Urban Green" or "Urban ...something" a few stalls down from the Taiwanese guy. They are selling seeds and vegetable starter kits. Very friendly and helpful people. Sorry I can't be more precise about the name or location. But they definitely have lavender!

K

Thanks Keff! Looks like I gotta head there soon pronto!

Cheers

#6 User is offline   keff 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

View Postlavendergarden, on 15 August 2014 - 08:27 PM, said:

Thanks Keff! Looks like I gotta head there soon pronto!

Cheers

No problem Joyce. Just remember to keep us posted on your lavenders, I would love to see your progress!

This post has been edited by keff: 15 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

#7 User is offline   lavendergarden 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

View Postkeff, on 15 August 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

No problem Joyce. Just remember to keep us posted on your lavenders, I would love to see your progress!

Hi Keff

Ok will do so!

Cheers

Me

#8 User is offline   brett 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Went back there again around 7:30 for a quick one with some friends while waiting for our kids, got some bargains like a white equestris for $10, mounted ! Finally got an amabilis, $10, phal bear king,etc Saw a lovely huge gigantea beautifully mounted, $1k, so we settled for 6 year old ones.

I think they open until past 9

#9 User is offline   tc68 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

View Postbrett, on 15 August 2014 - 09:03 PM, said:

Went back there again around 7:30 for a quick one with some friends while waiting for our kids, got some bargains like a white equestris for $10, mounted ! Finally got an amabilis, $10, phal bear king,etc Saw a lovely huge gigantea beautifully mounted, $1k, so we settled for 6 year old ones.

I think they open until past 9

Brett, you are quick indeed!
Are these blooming, near flowering size or seedlings going for $10?
Thanks.

#10 User is offline   Ifurita 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

Dracula...must get Dracula...
:P/>

#11 User is offline   brett 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:24 PM

View Posttc68, on 15 August 2014 - 09:34 PM, said:

Brett, you are quick indeed!
Are these blooming, near flowering size or seedlings going for $10?
Thanks.

The $10 ones I got are blooming, like the amabilis has around 8 - 10 flowers on one spike, equestris had 2 spikes blooming ... $15 David Lim blooming ...

Lots of little and medium seedlings not flowering, some have. Prices depends on how exotic the seller thinks they are I guess. I got this Bastiani without flowers yet for $40, and the seller thinks I was lucky as he didn't notice there was a keiki in it. Javanica seedling $30, etc. Some lovely flowering hybrids from $20 upwards ...

We were only in and out quick, so we stuck in one area, near Song orchids, until we were called by our bosses, most of the above were at Meidarland Orchids. We haven't even around yet, will be back another day for a full half-day. Haven't even looked at the Paphs yet. Got a Violacea blue seedling without flowers for $10, mounted, and I remember the same thing potted at the neighbouring Song Orchids for $90 ! That's one place I don't want to go to anymore, might as well go to Joseph Wu's stall.

Surprisingly, the woman at Joseph Wu's stall forgot the name of a beautiful one she recommended to me, have to go back later to get the name.

Anyway, just go and enjoy, even the walkways were paved with orchids ...

#12 User is offline   Don 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

@Bret, are you sure about the indigos at Song or not? Could it be a case of mistaken identity?

They didn't have violacea indigos at Song when I went there today.

Anyway, I have bought a few indigos from Song on a few occasions, and I believe they have never priced them at 90, especially now when the prices of violacea indigos went down by quite a bit.

#13 User is offline   boonboon 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Roses, Orchids, Cacti and Succulents, Gesneriads, Fragrant Plants etc

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

The prices of Song Orchids are not cheap and with the high rental at SGF, its prices are not going to be cheap either and will never follow market rates

#14 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

Went to the Singapore Garden today. Only wanted to visit the marketplace, but went to the wrong entrance, where the ticketing booth is.
So I asked the helpers there (Wearing Garden fest T-shirt) how to go to the marketplace, they asked each other and then told me i have to buy weekend tickets to go to Singapore Garden festival, and the marketplace will be there!!!

I remember reading earlier in GCS thread that it is free to go to marketplace, so i went to the main entrance, found out that the marketplace stalls are located near the supertree area. Tsk tsk tsk.

Anyway, if you are buying orchids, i highly recommend some orchids i bought 2 years ago, which are very easy bloomer here.

Ching Hua Orchids - get the
Epic. Volcano Trick 'Orange Fire' You will not regret this.

Thai orchid seller (Can't remember the name) - get the
Rhynchodenia Magic Wand

Ok, sorting out my 14 new purchases now, and looking for space. Will post pictures later.
Joseph wu stall only brought limited stuff, and those are selling out fast on the sat morning i was there.

This post has been edited by sthh: 16 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

#15 User is offline   brett 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:08 PM

View PostDon, on 16 August 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

@Bret, are you sure about the indigos at Song or not? Could it be a case of mistaken identity?

They didn't have violacea indigos at Song when I went there today.

Anyway, I have bought a few indigos from Song on a few occasions, and I believe they have never priced them at 90, especially now when the prices of violacea indigos went down by quite a bit.

Oh, sorry for the confusion, it was the price i paid at their choa chu kang shop, $90 for a small seedling. And other stuff, really high. I didn't know much at that time, so that's ok, i just learned to skip them. Maybe if i want something elusive, will go try them.

#16 User is offline   furret 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:14 PM

Hi guys
went to the marketplace specially to check out Joseph Wu's shop and got poisoned! Arghhhh burnt a hole in my mum's wallet :P/> $110 for 3 orchids... -.- got the Sophronitis Cernua(mounted)(last one) for $50, Den. Bracteosum(potted)(last one) for $35 and a Hoya(mounted) for $25... for the hoya I need you guy's help to help me ID as the kind Auntie was too busy to help me label... Will post pics of all the plants later tomorrow when the flowers bloom... although the Sophronitis Cernua is not in bloom yet :D/>
Sooo delighted with this trip's haul!
Cheers
Furret

#17 User is offline   brett 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

View Poststhh, on 16 August 2014 - 09:04 PM, said:

Ok, sorting out my 14 new purchases now, and looking for space. Will post pictures later.

haha, looking for space, I guess many of us will go through this. Hmm, got too many, I have to remove some stuff ...

#18 User is offline   prok 

• PipPip

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:03 AM

Hi everyone,

Quite new to growing orchids. But nonetheless, I bought a dtps joy nancy lady (flowering) and a trichoglottis philippinensis var. brachiata (seedling) from Joseph Wu today. $35 each. Any tips on their culture? Especially the trichoglottis?

Also got a cernua ($10) and a leptotes bicolor ($15) from this Taiwan seller (I think the same guy that was selling $10 violacea). If i didn't understand him wrongly, he said his plants were jungle collected? So the form and color of the flowers are a big question mark?

#19 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

View Postprok, on 17 August 2014 - 02:03 AM, said:

Hi everyone,

Quite new to growing orchids. But nonetheless, I bought a dtps joy nancy lady (flowering) and a trichoglottis philippinensis var. brachiata (seedling) from Joseph Wu today. $35 each. Any tips on their culture? Especially the trichoglottis?

Also got a cernua ($10) and a leptotes bicolor ($15) from this Taiwan seller (I think the same guy that was selling $10 violacea). If i didn't understand him wrongly, he said his plants were jungle collected? So the form and color of the flowers are a big question mark?

There are some personal rules which i have learn over the years, which i think is useful to orchid growing.

1. Grow something you can't kill

2. Grow something that likes your environment.

3. Grow something that can re-bloom easily.

If i look at a plant, no matter how much i like it, but it doesn't fulfill 1 of these rules, i will not buy them.

The vendor is probably telling you that they have in the past got those plants from the wild, and have propagated and retain their unique form or colour, or improved on them. Those plants they are selling are not harvested from the wild. Can't help you with those cultures, but they are all quite different and will need different requirements.

This post has been edited by sthh: 17 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

#20 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

View Postfurret, on 16 August 2014 - 11:14 PM, said:

Hi guys
went to the marketplace specially to check out Joseph Wu's shop and got poisoned! Arghhhh burnt a hole in my mum's wallet :P/>/> $110 for 3 orchids... -.- got the Sophronitis Cernua(mounted)(last one) for $50, Den. Bracteosum(potted)(last one) for $35 and a Hoya(mounted) for $25... for the hoya I need you guy's help to help me ID as the kind Auntie was too busy to help me label... Will post pics of all the plants later tomorrow when the flowers bloom... although the Sophronitis Cernua is not in bloom yet :D/>/>
Sooo delighted with this trip's haul!
Cheers
Furret

I think i saw you at the stall with your mum. You must be that enthusiastic boy. I also bought one of the only 2 Sophronitis Cernua (Mounted on oak), but as i have grown hybrid of them before, they are not easy plants, and can rot easily. Do try to keep them growing in your place, and give them the environment they need. I will grow them in very bright with no direct sun environment and water them carefully.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users