GCS Forum: Vanda Robert Delight - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Vanda Robert Delight what is vanda not blooming?

#1 User is offline   faithsuria 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:26 AM

Hi all,
Bought a Vanda Robert's Delight Red for Chinese New Year. When the last bloom dropped off- I hung it up bare-rooted along a North facing corridor. It gets ample sunlight from 8am to 3pm and good air circulation. I sprayed it once a day at night during weekdays till the plant is dripping in water and twice during weekends (8am and at night). At times, I would dunk it into the pail of water. The leaves are light green with tinge of yellow. Roots grew well; thick and fleshy but no luck with flowers. The leaves also seem to grow really slowly.

Twice, the bud turned brown while it is still hidden between the leaves. Lately, the leaves at the bottom of the stem has turned yellow and then brown. I fertilized it frequently weakly with seaweed and epsom salt as I do with the other orchids (a mini Catt and brassalova -and they are both budding now.) Anyone can tell me why and what else I can do for the Vanda? I would love for it to bloom since I had it the longest and fuss over it the most. :P/>/>

This post has been edited by faithsuria: 30 June 2014 - 03:28 AM

#2 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

This is a difficult genus to grow in HDB . Very often the dry air just not helping .One general rule of thumb is - If the root of the vanda has a 1 inch GREEN root tip, the plant is happy. If the root tip is white and it only turn green when watered. Then the plant is not happy with the micro climate.

#3 User is offline   brett 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

Hmm, didn't realize humidity is not good enough for vandas in a corridor, I was thinking of placing some.

Well, take my post with a grain of salt, I am just a novice.

Mine is indoors and my room has a humidity of 60++ measured with a hygrometer. I am waiting for one of the Vandas to bloom, the spike started peeking out of the leaves 15 days ago, and has now lengthened since then, this picture was 3 days ago.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5575/14520505332_d6f5f80f7b_o.jpg

#4 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

View Postbrett, on 30 June 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

Hmm, didn't realize humidity is not good enough for vandas in a corridor, I was thinking of placing some.

Well, take my post with a grain of salt, I am just a novice.

Mine is indoors and my room has a humidity of 60++ measured with a hygrometer. I am waiting for one of the Vandas to bloom, the spike started peeking out of the leaves 15 days ago, and has now lengthened since then, this picture was 3 days ago.

that a Aerides right?

micro climate is very important. If i stay near coaster. I would have a easier time growing it. If central Singapore, then good luck la..

#5 User is offline   brett 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

Yes, i think so, one of the plants i got at WL and forgot to ask the name.

I see, regaring location, i didn't think of that. I am notcin central singapore so should have more luck :-)

#6 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

you might want to dilute your fungicides further. Over dosages of fungicides is not good for you. (not plant) Average application rate for carptan is 1 teaspoon for one litre of water. That look like 4 teaspoon per litre. Unless you did not shake when you spray.:)/>

#7 User is offline   brett 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:55 PM

Oh, that came like that, sprayed at WL ...

#8 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

WA. . Like that also can. :)/>

#9 User is offline   keff 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

View Postbrett, on 30 June 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

Oh, that came like that, sprayed at WL ...

I actually thought it was your wrought iron garden fence with an "antique" effect!

#10 User is offline   brett 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

Haha, must be some super dosage antifungus, it won't go away no matter how much I drench it with water everyday.

#11 User is offline   faithsuria 

• PipPip

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:50 PM

This is so sad. :(/> Initially I was quite hopeful since I see many root tips on vanda :(/>

#12 User is offline   Chatbud 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

faithsuria, which nursery did you get your RD?
Some of our local nurseries get lousy ones from Thailand. Recent ones at Toh and WL not so good imho. Not so easy bloomers.
The ones that I brought back directly from Thailand with very good genes all bloom regularly whereas the ones bot locally bloom less frequently.

Last year, WL had a very good batch from Thailand. I bot a Pachara Delight and it bloomed 4 times in the last 12 mths.

I believe what you're doing is right and the plant is happy just that it could be genes issue.

So be careful when you buy Thailand vandas. A lot overcloned until really sibei lousy.

#13 User is offline   faithsuria 

• PipPip

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:34 AM

It is a CNY plant from the market near my house. The uncle said he got it from the nursery and it comes with a tag. I am not sure of the source. For a new person, how do I know if the gene is good? Generally, I will try to pick those with growing root tips. Is that a good method?

#14 User is offline   keff 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

View Postfaithsuria, on 06 July 2014 - 05:34 AM, said:

It is a CNY plant from the market near my house. The uncle said he got it from the nursery and it comes with a tag. I am not sure of the source. For a new person, how do I know if the gene is good? Generally, I will try to pick those with growing root tips. Is that a good method?

Quality genetics is the field of the breeders and gurus. For us mere mortals, we have enough on our plates trying learning to grow strong and vibrant plants. My personal experience is that our own growing culture influences flowering far more than the differences in genetics.

From your description, I think your vanda will benefit from more watering. Why don't you try watering twice a day everyday and see if has any effect?

This post has been edited by keff: 06 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

#15 User is offline   Chatbud 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

faithsuria, where do you live? North?

You should choose a vanda by looking at how many cut spikes it already has.
If you see a vanda which has bloomed b4 at every axil or nearly every axil that is the vanda to buy.
Very often, you'll see a fairly big vanda but blooming for the 1st time or only has 1-2 cut spikes. Avoid buying this no matter how pretty are the flowers. These are poor bloomers.

Heng Soon Farm has a lot of low quality vandas. They are trying to clear them by selling cheap to the smaller shops island wide who sell to ppl like you and me.

Also, another note on Robert Delight. This is a very very widely (over)cloned hybrid. Very difficult to get a good RD.

#16 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

A easy bloomer will depend on the breeder knowing his plant . Assuming your microclimate condition is ideal , the breeder will tell u that . Taking plant from 3 party who has not cross that plant before ,will not be able to tell u. So better visit a reputable orchid nursery .

#17 User is offline   faithsuria 

• PipPip

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

thanks all for the advice. I will find time to visit the Song and WL. There is a shop at Alexandra that specialized in orchids. Are they any better?

#18 User is offline   Chatbud 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

View Postfaithsuria, on 06 July 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

thanks all for the advice. I will find time to visit the Song and WL. There is a shop at Alexandra that specialized in orchids. Are they any better?

Seasonal Mart is it?
That is the most expensive orkid retailer on our island other than KKH & Song

#19 User is offline   faithsuria 

• PipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:26 AM

Vanda threw a gigantic root out from the base last week. Still no new leaves...and I've watering twice daily. *deep sigh* I think i about to give up on it already...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users