My Little Plot of Gold let me take you along my journey

#21 User is offline   glenn tan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks. Haha. :)/>

To Ma'am/Sir Heian Edenwood: yup sure thing will keep you guys updated. Soon they will go into dormancy. And I'm finushing with my FEs on Monday, so stay tuned.

To Mr Greyfingers: Okay yup. Will definitely bring some impatiens over from Chiangmai to try. Thanks :)/>

-Glenn 'Aran' Nantakarn Tan Jia Hao

#22 User is offline   glenn tan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

Monologue: The Ones That Got Away

Hey guys,

In the midst of frantically studying for physics tomorrow (which I absolutely suck at), I guess I'll take the time off to do a monologue.

Well I'm pretty sure you guys know the genus of ipomoea. Well, if you don't, just fry up a plate of kangkong with chili paste. Or chew on some Indonesian sweet potato sticks (well you've gotta ask your maid to help bring them back for this one). Yup, those vegetables belong to the Ipomoea genus. Other than that, beautiful garden flowers such as morning glories, cypress vines, and moonvines all belong to this ipomoea genus.

The genus comprises of about 500 plants that are mostly vines and climbers. They are part of an even bigger family called convolvulaceae, the Morning Glory family. They are found throughout the world, but the tropics hold the greatest concentration of these spectacular vines.

Throughout the world, many members of this family are cultivated as common garden plants. However, many are also known to be quite rampant weeds. Though blossoming with flowers of almost any colour in the colour spectrum, or your crayon box, many of the wild morning glory species are classified as noxious weeds: the Field Bindweed in North America, Water Morning Glory (yes, that's kangkung) choking up waterways in Vietnam, and the rampant, weediest of all found all over the world, ipomoea indica, the Blue Morning Glory that the Elves and fairies and whatnot children's fairy-tale characters live in. The ones that open promptly in the break of dawn and conveniently shut at dusk so that those magical creatures can sleep in them. The ones that those dang Princesses greet when they pass by the fence in the morning to go somewhere else.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r721/glenntjh/dsc08650_zps9921caeb.jpg"Hello Princess, you look gorgeous today.""I know, I am gorgeous."~what most fairy-tale princess probably feels. (not my Garden, nor the ChiangMai one. Got this off the net, by the way. The amount of photographic in this photo is too pro for my novice hands. )

I had the opportunity to grow a few if these flowers, and let me tell you, they're not for the weak. I brought back some ipomoea indica cuttings back from my house in ChiangMai. Our garderner helps us trip it in shape on the trellis, so I got some extras from him. Upon bringing them here, I stuck the cuttings in the ground and they immediately rooted, sending uo numerous vineous growth the next few days. Well, soon they took over the whole trellis I made, sent runners all over the place, and climbed up other plants. Well, so yea, I hacked it down. But soon, new growth sprouted from the stems left underground and they started the battle again. So yea, I uprooted the whole thing even before it got a chance to flower. Cus it got on my nerves how I had to trim and bind it every day (no joke!)

Well, you would think I learnt my lesson about the bad reputation of plants of this genus? Well, nope. Apparently I bought a packet of Cypress Vine seeds. Even though I had seen on numerous forums and read Daves Garden page on this plant, receiving many negatives for their rampant weedy habitat, I was intrigued by their happy little red trumpet flowers. Well, so I planted them in the other trellis I made. Well, they sprouted in days, and soon a mass of feathery leaves had started climbing up the trellis, around the trellis, and on each other. Thankfully the aunty managed to convince me about their weedy aggressive nature, and she Helped me hoe some out until one was left.

Well, good riddance, cus apparently, I'm still battling that one left now. It sends out branches like some sort of beanstalk. Plus, unlike indica, they drop their seeds all over the place and many plants start popping out in places I dont want them to be. Well, at least the plus side are their abundances of deep red flowers.

So certainly, these are the expert weeds. They keep getting out of their confined place, and are definitely the ones that got away (technically they are still getting away, though)

Well, thats that folks.

-Glenn "Aran" Nantakarn Tan Jia Hao

This post has been edited by glenn tan: 15 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

#23 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

Try growing some lantanas. Fast grower yet easy to control.

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad83/Greyfingers/Lantana/DSCF6258_zpsaf7283a1.jpg

#24 User is offline   glenn tan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

Oh okay. But cus I'm collecting like the more "exotic-looking" plants in my plot, so are there lantanas that are not of the normal orange-red and dark pink? Looking for those with other colours, like maybe white or light pink or yellow?

#25 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

View Postglenn tan, on 15 July 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

Oh okay. But cus I'm collecting like the more "exotic-looking" plants in my plot, so are there lantanas that are not of the normal orange-red and dark pink? Looking for those with other colours, like maybe white or light pink or yellow?

How can white, light pink and yellow be exotic?

There are two kinds of white, dwarf and normal type. Pink I can think of three types including a dwarf. Yellow is non dwarf. To grow dwarf or normal will depend on space and situation.

#26 User is offline   glenn tan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:19 AM

View PostGreyfingers, on 15 July 2014 - 11:06 PM, said:

How can white, light pink and yellow be exotic?

There are two kinds of white, dwarf and normal type. Pink I can think of three types including a dwarf. Yellow is non dwarf. To grow dwarf or normal will depend on space and situation.

I see I see. Cus I've seen like these really common red-orange flowered bug leaved lantana, but then I've also come across one or two lantanas with really small leaves and their flowers arent really that bright and gaudy, but they still look quite sweet. Like pretty pastel in colour. Maybe they are the dwarf ones? Cus they have really small leaves and yet flower alot

#27 User is offline   furret 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:33 AM

View Postglenn tan, on 15 July 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

Monologue: The Ones That Got Away

Hey guys,

In the midst of frantically studying for physics tomorrow (which I absolutely suck at), I guess I'll take the time off to do a monologue.

Well I'm pretty sure you guys know the genus of ipomoea. Well, if you don't, just fry up a plate of kangkong with chili paste. Or chew on some Indonesian sweet potato sticks (well you've gotta ask your maid to help bring them back for this one). Yup, those vegetables belong to the Ipomoea genus. Other than that, beautiful garden flowers such as morning glories, cypress vines, and moonvines all belong to this ipomoea genus.

The genus comprises of about 500 plants that are mostly vines and climbers. They are part of an even bigger family called convolvulaceae, the Morning Glory family. They are found throughout the world, but the tropics hold the greatest concentration of these spectacular vines.

Throughout the world, many members of this family are cultivated as common garden plants. However, many are also known to be quite rampant weeds. Though blossoming with flowers of almost any colour in the colour spectrum, or your crayon box, many of the wild morning glory species are classified as noxious weeds: the Field Bindweed in North America, Water Morning Glory (yes, that's kangkung) choking up waterways in Vietnam, and the rampant, weediest of all found all over the world, ipomoea indica, the Blue Morning Glory that the Elves and fairies and whatnot children's fairy-tale characters live in. The ones that open promptly in the break of dawn and conveniently shut at dusk so that those magical creatures can sleep in them. The ones that those dang Princesses greet when they pass by the fence in the morning to go somewhere else.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r721/glenntjh/dsc08650_zps9921caeb.jpg"Hello Princess, you look gorgeous today.""I know, I am gorgeous."~what most fairy-tale princess probably feels. (not my Garden, nor the ChiangMai one. Got this off the net, by the way. The amount of photographic in this photo is too pro for my novice hands. )

I had the opportunity to grow a few if these flowers, and let me tell you, they're not for the weak. I brought back some ipomoea indica cuttings back from my house in ChiangMai. Our garderner helps us trip it in shape on the trellis, so I got some extras from him. Upon bringing them here, I stuck the cuttings in the ground and they immediately rooted, sending uo numerous vineous growth the next few days. Well, soon they took over the whole trellis I made, sent runners all over the place, and climbed up other plants. Well, so yea, I hacked it down. But soon, new growth sprouted from the stems left underground and they started the battle again. So yea, I uprooted the whole thing even before it got a chance to flower. Cus it got on my nerves how I had to trim and bind it every day (no joke!)

Well, you would think I learnt my lesson about the bad reputation of plants of this genus? Well, nope. Apparently I bought a packet of Cypress Vine seeds. Even though I had seen on numerous forums and read Daves Garden page on this plant, receiving many negatives for their rampant weedy habitat, I was intrigued by their happy little red trumpet flowers. Well, so I planted them in the other trellis I made. Well, they sprouted in days, and soon a mass of feathery leaves had started climbing up the trellis, around the trellis, and on each other. Thankfully the aunty managed to convince me about their weedy aggressive nature, and she Helped me hoe some out until one was left.

Well, good riddance, cus apparently, I'm still battling that one left now. It sends out branches like some sort of beanstalk. Plus, unlike indica, they drop their seeds all over the place and many plants start popping out in places I dont want them to be. Well, at least the plus side are their abundances of deep red flowers.

So certainly, these are the expert weeds. They keep getting out of their confined place, and are definitely the ones that got away (technically they are still getting away, though)

Well, thats that folks.

-Glenn "Aran" Nantakarn Tan Jia Hao

Hi Glenn I have a few moon vine seeds to spare want some?
Cheers
Furret

#28 User is offline   glenn tan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

Furret,

Oh my god haha no thanks. Done with dem rowdy vines for awhile. :)/>

#29 User is offline   furret 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

View Postglenn tan, on 16 July 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

Furret,

Oh my god haha no thanks. Done with dem rowdy vines for awhile. :)/>/>

Haha ok if you change your mind 3 months down the road do ask! :)/>

#30 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

So pretty, I love to have some of this weeds also and I have another weeds to give away too.

#31 User is offline   furret 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

View PostAbby Lim, on 18 July 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

So pretty, I love to have some of this weeds also and I have another weeds to give away too.

Abby want to trade seeds?
Cheers
Furret

#32 User is offline   glenn tan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

Ipomoea Quamoclit "Cypress Vine"

Hey guys,

So I'm having Gap Semester now and im really free as ****. Like serious, I can like laze and sh*t around for the next 6 months lol, cus JC starts in February . Except for the Higher Chinese. And it's cool, but I get bored to death sometimes haha :)/> And it's just been 3 days.

Anyway, a follow up from the monologue, the cypress vines have taken over their trellis. For me, I personally like them as their leaves are really darn dainty cute and interesting. They're really like little green feathers. And they grow really fast, so they cover up a bare patch pretty well.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r721/glenntjh/20140716_172835_zps4s4herkt.jpg Numerous buds almost bursting into bloom.

So the cypress vine is really a non-fussy plant. And it requires really little too. I seldom fertilise that patch as I thought it was pretty much a waste since they grow like no ones business already and it doesn't really matter to me whether the grow faster or not. Like really, these vines grow at a rate of probably 5.3514268651829936552*92602083cm a day. No kidding. Everyday I go down to check on the plants, I see growth sticking out of the previous days tucking in and pruning.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r721/glenntjh/20140719_164206_zpsrqz3dpkh.jpg Almost bursting into flower.

Plus, these flowers are really floriferous. Once they bloom, the whole lot blooms at once, and they never stop blooming. And the plus one of these flowers is that they are really rich in nectar, and attract tons of butterflies to feed on their sugary goodness. Like, holy crap, its a butterfly storm. The black-and-yellow patterened ones, the green-checkered ones, the really huge ones with like a black front wing and a yellow hind wing (no kidding, it was like larger than my two palms oh my god like saw it twice or thrice they were so funny trying to suck the nectar cus they were too heavy and the flowers kept falling lol) and many more.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r721/glenntjh/PicsArt_1405413914338_zpsaje1kugy.jpg Nectar sugar-filled goodness that drives the butterflies crazy.

The flowers themselves are quite small, about 2.5cm in diameter. But they're really a beautiful shade of red - chilli red. Plus, they have some sort of iridescent sheen to them, which somehow make photographing them tough as they reflect light all over the place. Really, just look at how the flowers look under different settings.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r721/glenntjh/PicsArt_1406039392531_zpsztuinr0c.jpg With flash, it looks really weird yet fascinating.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r721/glenntjh/20140711_145408_RichtoneHDR_zpspaflqnlj.jpg Probably the most accurate colour I see, except its a lot more red and less pink in real life.

And when they start going into bloom, it throws up tons of tiny little flowers. And when in full bloom, the little starry red flowers really light the whole thing up. Sorta like some kind of Christmas Tree.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r721/glenntjh/ipo-1_zpsjq5odnqt.jpg I guess I'm having an early Christmas.

Well, but the bad sides really equate to the plus sides. Firstly, they grow too fast, and really "vine" out of shape really fast even though I prune them regularly. That's why they look really straggly and out of shape every 3 days. Secondly, they fruit almost instantaneously after every flower drops. Either the butterflies have done an excellent job, or these vines are really self-pollinating creepyass vines. I'd like to think its the first one. But the way they spray tons of seeds everywhere really makes me think the latter. The base of the main vine has tons of tiny cypressvine seedling popping up. Luckily they are easy to spot as they have unique leaves. Otherwise, I'd probably hack the whole thing down.

Bye for now,
Glenn "Aran" Nantakarn Tan Jiahao

#33 User is offline   Heian Edenwood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

Haha! Cute update! If you want more plants, I'll be happy to pass you some cuttings if you can pop by the community garden I'm at. :)/>

#34 User is offline   glenn tan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

Hey guys,

So my mum just randomly flew to Japan with some friends to visit their friend from their nostalgic stewardess flying days, Aunty Kate. They were really close, and are still lol. Like I think its weird cus they're grown ups, and they're still acting like little kids, bringing their old "Singapore Girl" kebayas their to have some sort of dress up stewardess reniunion. Uhhhhhh, I shudder at the thought.

Anyway, Aunty Kate stays on the foot on Mount Fuji, so its a really pretty place for a homestay for my mum and friends. Plus, they visited tons of places of interests around Japan, and Hokkaido was spectacular, with the peak of summer putting out splendid fields of lavenders and sunflowers.

Plus, Autumn bulbs were on sale, cus well, autumn bulbs are sold during summer, like how summer bulbs are sold during Spring, and winter bulbs are sold during autumn and so on. So here's her haul for me :)/>

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r721/glenntjh/20140810_142740_zpscmjp15gd.jpg

Definitely growing lycoris and gladiolus ans sternbergia here. As for saffron, I guess I'll take them back to Chiang Mai to grow cus its probably more conducive there.

Cheers,
Glenn 'Aran' Nantakarn Tan Jia Hao

#35 User is offline   DarylC 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Herbs, Carnivorous Plants

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

Are you going to attempt to harvest the Saffron stigma =D

#36 User is offline   glenn tan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

Hey all,

Super excited. The Sea Lilies or Sea Daffodils or something like that, are gonna bloom. My maid, the Super Awesome Kakak Eni, brought some bulbs here for me from her garden when she went home to Indonesia, specifically Tanjung Mojo, last year for Hari Raya, and they're finally flowering.

Well, since Pancratium Maritanium originates from the sandy shores of the Mediterranean, plus, my maids house is near a cliffy sea area, her farm and garden around the house gets maritime surroundings. So she told me her garden skil is quite sandy, so I might as well grow them in sorta the same thing.

Well, it turned out I waa lazy to mix soil lol, so I just potted all the bulbs in pure sand. And they flourished. Like cus read somewhere in like the Mediterranean they grow in the friggin beach. Like ON the beach. So yea... sand.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r721/glenntjh/20140814_203355_RichtoneHDR_zps0c3syab7.jpg

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r721/glenntjh/20140814_202913_RichtoneHDR_zpsontthzkg.jpg

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r721/glenntjh/20140814_202548_RichtoneHDR_zpsfzzsakrv.jpg

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r721/glenntjh/20140814_201654_zpsane4i0p0.jpg

Night guys,
Glenn 'Aran' Nantakarn Tan Jiahao~

This post has been edited by glenn tan: 16 August 2014 - 10:05 PM

#37 User is offline   Click 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Only Edibles -- fruits, veggies, plants and herbs please.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

View Postglenn tan, on 11 August 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

Hey guys,

So my mum just randomly flew to Japan with some friends to visit their friend from their nostalgic stewardess flying days, Aunty Kate. They were really close, and are still lol. Like I think its weird cus they're grown ups, and they're still acting like little kids, bringing their old "Singapore Girl" kebayas their to have some sort of dress up stewardess reniunion. Uhhhhhh, I shudder at the thought.

Anyway, Aunty Kate stays on the foot on Mount Fuji, so its a really pretty place for a homestay for my mum and friends. Plus, they visited tons of places of interests around Japan, and Hokkaido was spectacular, with the peak of summer putting out splendid fields of lavenders and sunflowers.

Plus, Autumn bulbs were on sale, cus well, autumn bulbs are sold during summer, like how summer bulbs are sold during Spring, and winter bulbs are sold during autumn and so on. So here's her haul for me http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Definitely growing lycoris and gladiolus ans sternbergia here. As for saffron, I guess I'll take them back to Chiang Mai to grow cus its probably more conducive there.

Cheers,
Glenn 'Aran' Nantakarn Tan Jia Hao

Interesting you have a home in Chiang Mai.. Is your dad Thai as well?
Do your house in CM have the Thai Longan growing? If yes, can you
give me some seeds pls. I like to have such a plant in my house! :)/>

#38 User is offline   glenn tan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

Hey Click,

Yup my Dad's Thai. But in Chiangmai we're into flowers though heh heh. Sorry :)/> but I'll try to find some when I come across them :)/> cheers

#39 User is offline   Click 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Only Edibles -- fruits, veggies, plants and herbs please.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

View Postglenn tan, on 17 August 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

Hey Click,

Yup my Dad's Thai. But in Chiangmai we're into flowers though heh heh. Sorry http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif but I'll try to find some when I come across them http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif cheers

Thank you very much Glenn!
Thai longan are big and sweet.. :)/>

#40 User is offline   bridgehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

View Postglenn tan, on 16 August 2014 - 10:04 PM, said:

Hey all,

Super excited. The Sea Lilies or Sea Daffodils or something like that, are gonna bloom. My maid, the Super Awesome Kakak Eni, brought some bulbs here for me from her garden when she went home to Indonesia, specifically Tanjung Mojo, last year for Hari Raya, and they're finally flowering.

Well, since Pancratium Maritanium originates from the sandy shores of the Mediterranean, plus, my maids house is near a cliffy sea area, her farm and garden around the house gets maritime surroundings. So she told me her garden skil is quite sandy, so I might as well grow them in sorta the same thing.

Well, it turned out I waa lazy to mix soil lol, so I just potted all the bulbs in pure sand. And they flourished. Like cus read somewhere in like the Mediterranean they grow in the friggin beach. Like ON the beach. So yea... sand.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r721/glenntjh/20140814_203355_RichtoneHDR_zps0c3syab7.jpg

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r721/glenntjh/20140814_202913_RichtoneHDR_zpsontthzkg.jpg

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r721/glenntjh/20140814_202548_RichtoneHDR_zpsfzzsakrv.jpg

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r721/glenntjh/20140814_201654_zpsane4i0p0.jpg

Night guys,
Glenn 'Aran' Nantakarn Tan Jiahao~

Let us see them when they bloom, Glenn. Such a lovely plant sitting in a that pot! Good job, Glenn. Bridgehouse

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users