GCS Forum: Help with LED lighting to rescue tomato plant - GCS Forum

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2

Help with LED lighting to rescue tomato plant

#21 User is offline   baktao 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 13-June 14

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

View Postoolongmilktea, on 02 July 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

"Heat Tolerant" refers to our weather. Some varieties cannot tolerate our hot and humid weather and will grow poorly.


Thanks for your tips! Very valuable so I don't restart again if smth goes wrong!
0

#22 User is offline   baktao 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 13-June 14

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

View PostRobert1943, on 02 July 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

Here is a great tomato I have grown and still at this moment, I bought the seeds on ebay, and very happy with the fruit size taste etc.And they love tropical weather heat and water tolerant so easy to grow, my plants are only about 75cm tall and full of fruit, and now they are producing another second lot of many fruit, most tomato's produce and slowly die off but this tomato is throwing out new shoots and lots of flowers and fruit, PS hardly any bees so they must self pollinate.
I have attached a link that says it all . PS they are grown all over Thailand and are heirloom not hybridised as most fruit today, in other words you save the seeds and the plant to get again is identical to the original.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/Thai-tomatos_zps9f1960cd.jpg


Hi Robert... thanks for your tips on this plant. If it's 75cm then it's just amazing!!! Because my new LED lighting growing area will actually be IN MY ROOM!!!! No hydroponics yet though because I don't wanna go all in yet if I cannot confirm LED lights work.... If LED lights work, it might be worth to explore that.

I have taken a look at ebay, but I cannot find the exact one that you have shown... might be because of the keywords or area we're based in... could u give me the exact ebay link? Or I actually found this one.... which looks promising!

http://www.ebay.com....=item2c85b53d07

Big thanks!

This post has been edited by baktao: 03 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

0

#23 User is offline   baktao 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 13-June 14

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

Anyway, I've placed an order for the below...

http://www.ebay.com....=item2c85b53d07

Only 3 USD.... it takes 2 weeks to ship, so I figured I better order it first!!!

Anyone here wants some seeds? There's 30 seeds... Guess I would have some excess!!
0

#24 User is offline   oolongmilktea 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 29
  • Joined: 30-March 14

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

View Postbaktao, on 03 July 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

Thanks for your tips! Very valuable so I don't restart again if smth goes wrong!



you are welcome! I also just started with tomatoes and I have my fair share of failure. currently I have some fruits and I am waiting for them to ripen. hope they ripen before they die. lol.
0

#25 User is offline   baktao 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 13-June 14

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

View Postoolongmilktea, on 03 July 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

you are welcome! I also just started with tomatoes and I have my fair share of failure. currently I have some fruits and I am waiting for them to ripen. hope they ripen before they die. lol.


I think no matter what, as long as you have a will to try, u will have success!!! ha ha.... many of my friends don't understand why I also spend $250 on a light to grow some tomatoes... but well, theres no reason why we do it... we just do!
0

#26 User is offline   brett 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 605
  • Joined: 18-October 13

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

Haha, I was wondering about that too, and add to that the electricity cost. Next you need to buy is a good timer.

Led Princess sales staff were nice, but I still thought it was too expensive.

Anyway, you already got it. All the best in LED growing. Besides heat-tolerant tomatoes, I would choose a short compact one that wouldn't go tall, or the 120-watt LED will only be effective at the top part (unless you buy another one for the lower extremities).

View Postbaktao, on 03 July 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

I think no matter what, as long as you have a will to try, u will have success!!! ha ha.... many of my friends don't understand why I also spend $250 on a light to grow some tomatoes... but well, theres no reason why we do it... we just do!

0

#27 User is offline   baktao 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 13-June 14

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

View Postbrett, on 03 July 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

Haha, I was wondering about that too, and add to that the electricity cost. Next you need to buy is a good timer.

Led Princess sales staff were nice, but I still thought it was too expensive.

Anyway, you already got it. All the best in LED growing. Besides heat-tolerant tomatoes, I would choose a short compact one that wouldn't go tall, or the 120-watt LED will only be effective at the top part (unless you buy another one for the lower extremities).


Yes so far the start up cost is high but I think LED is much more energy efficient than our usual fluorescent tubes... but then again, have to see how that adds up to the bills in Singapore!!

I've actually thought about DIY the whole rack for the LED lights and plants but in the end I got a ready made shelving from NTUC at a good price! Will share some pictures later!!!

For the 120watt LED, I will be doing up on enclosure with white background (or mylar if I can find), the reflections should enable the light to reach the other parts of plants hopefully!

As for timer no worries, because I work from 9am - 6pm.... I can turn it on when I leave the house say 7-8am... when I come back, go about my usual business, I sleep around 11pm, so before I sleep, i'll turn it off!

Now I just hope, it doesn't catch fire and burn my room down!!!
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2


Fast Reply

  

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users