GCS Forum: Help! The nasty wind broke my plumerias! - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Help! The nasty wind broke my plumerias! Desperate for help from Athens, Greece

#1 User is offline   Fairysugarpie 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:35 AM

Hello everyone,

I registered in panic!!!! I live in Greece and have been growing my plumerias (2) for 3 years. As they were about to bloom last year for the first time, frost killed my flowers before I even had a chance to see what color they were going to be:(

Anyway.... We have very strong winds in Athens currently, and it was so windy today that another very very large pot fell over my plumerias and broke them. Needless to say I am very very unhappy about this.

I've been reading the posts and I have questions. The cuts are not clean, so I will trim them. In the posts I read though, everyone is saying that I need to let them heal for about two to three weeks. Does it matter that the climate here is different? Is it ok if I put them in a dark room? Also, what about the 2 plants that are still in the pot? Also cuts are not clean. What do I need to do?

Thx in advance for your replies.

#2 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:35 AM

I believe the would have already dries up in an hour. If u have low humidity in your area then you probably can do stem cutting if the wound have dries up. Our local method of hanging for a few weeks ,might not make sense to you. How long does a dripping wet jean dries up in your weather ? Our take 2 weeks to do so.

#3 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

Just to compare the difference in humidity . A dripping wet jean that I just washed in a 20% humidity in winter dries up in 6 hours INDOOR compared to our rainy weather weather took 2 weeks just to dry up.

#4 User is offline   Fairysugarpie 

• Pip

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:36 AM

View Postdigitalgate, on 15 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

Just to compare the difference in humidity . A dripping wet jean that I just washed in a 20% humidity in winter dries up in 6 hours INDOOR compared to our rainy weather weather took 2 weeks just to dry up.

Hello digitalgate, thank for replying!

A dripping pair of jeans here would take about 2 days, it's quite hot this time of year and humidity is very low. I looked at the cut part of the branches and already they feel almost dry. Sap is not coming out, but they feel a bit wet.

I also cut clean the two branches in the pot, those because they were outside were a bit more dry.

My question now is: tomorrow I just replant the broken ones in the pot? And the ones that are left in the pot with roots and everything, I continue to water?

Thanks again!

#5 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

2 days ? That pretty wet. U might want to use our local method to hang dry for a while. Pulmeria suppose to handle dry spell. However here the problem, most stem cutting must be wet to root well. But can u read up on the rest of the pulmeria to see if other people do that . Every species propagate slight differently .

#6 User is offline   schan 

• PipPip

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:15 PM

View Postdigitalgate, on 16 May 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

2 days ? That pretty wet. U might want to use our local method to hang dry for a while. Pulmeria suppose to handle dry spell. However here the problem, most stem cutting must be wet to root well. But can u read up on the rest of the pulmeria to see if other people do that . Every species propagate slight differently .

This is what I will do if it is my plant. The broken branch - leave it in a dry place for 2 to 3 weeks or more for the cut to dry up. Pot it with rooting hormone when the weather is sunny in a quick draining medium. Successfully potted more than 10 cuttings using this method. For the existing plant, trim it. It should be fine. Just water less until you see new leaves.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users