Page 1 of 1

Buxus Harlandii

#1 User is offline   greglhc 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

Hi,

Looking for advice regarding the care of buxus harlandii. I am most worried about lighting requirements.

My balcony is well ventilated and airy but doesn't receive very much direct sunlight, as my place is mostly north south facing

If it does receive direct sun, it's only toward the evening - prob 2 hours max.

Anyone care to share their experience?

#2 User is offline   solar 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

I put mine in full sun. Perhaps that is why the leaves are more yellow than green. Got it less thab half a year. So its abit too early to judge

#3 User is offline   greglhc 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

View Postsolar, on 26 February 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

I put mine in full sun. Perhaps that is why the leaves are more yellow than green. Got it less thab half a year. So its abit too early to judge

direct overhead sun? i've been reading that it prefers shade and semi-shade though it was written by ppl in the West.

how about watering? I guess yours needs daily watering.

if got pics to share, would be great!

#4 User is offline   brett 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

These beautiful Buxus Harlandii are under super hot sun, in open air ... less than 5 minutes with them and I was sweating already. They are very healthy.

http://www.photofilma.com/images3/ct-S0084142.jpg

Mine are indoors. I kept mine under full sun simulation and it was fine, but to make way for other flowering plants that really need strong light, I moved the boxwoods elsewhere and decided to put them to the test under only 40 watts of direct light, so that's like really being in the shade. Same with another one I have, at slightly even less light, less direct too. I had to give them big "haircuts" though, for more light to reach inside, as I am using them with less light now (and is a good thing to do anyway). Both doing well growing branches and new leaves. Those in the picture above have very dense foliage, but they are under the full sun the whole day, which is the difference.

I use fast-draining soil mix, and I water them when the top is dry, like every 2 or 3 days, depends. I saw one with wilting leaves on some branches the other day, watered it quickly and it's back to its usual self in less than an hour.

#5 User is offline   greglhc 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for sharing your personal experience with boxwood.

Think might give this plant a shot.

Saw a few nicely potted ones in goodwood tho some yellowing of leaves.

#6 User is offline   brett 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

Bring it home, remove the yellow leaves, give it care, and it will perk up :)/>. A few yellow leaves are common with it, just remove them and all is well. Your 2 hours of sun should be fine, when there is no sun, there is still light anyway, although indirect.

#7 User is offline   greglhc 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

View Postbrett, on 27 February 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Bring it home, remove the yellow leaves, give it care, and it will perk up :)/>/>. A few yellow leaves are common with it, just remove them and all is well. Your 2 hours of sun should be fine, when there is no sun, there is still light anyway, although indirect.

Reassuring to hear that I might be able to care for it. Heh.

I'm interested in plants that are easy to maintain under low light but have some nice structure to it. Aesthetically various bonsai fit the bill but I doubt I'm able to care for it.

Any other similar types plant sp to recommend?

#8 User is offline   brett 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

Fukien Tea bonsai, lots at SinFlora ... leaves in bad shape, but defoliate all the leaves, repot in new soil, and they'll have new beautiful leaves in a week. Only water when almost dry, easy to care for.

I like the Pachira, needs watering only once or even twice a week, depending on how thick the trunk is, the trunk stores water like a camel. Never overwater, or it's stem/trunk rots. Podocarpus Bonsai also can work with the light you have, it is elegant-looking as a bonsai. Sin Flora has them too.

I'm looking as well for houseplants that can live in the "dark", I have one spot in the house I'd like to fill up. Now looking for a snake plant that is miniature, and I read that the lucky bamboo, transplanted to soil instead of water, can really live in the dark. Anyway, still looking around for others too.

#9 User is offline   greglhc 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

View Postbrett, on 27 February 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:

Fukien Tea bonsai, lots at SinFlora ... leaves in bad shape, but defoliate all the leaves, repot in new soil, and they'll have new beautiful leaves in a week. Only water when almost dry, easy to care for.

I like the Pachira, needs watering only once or even twice a week, depending on how thick the trunk is, the trunk stores water like a camel. Never overwater, or it's stem/trunk rots. Podocarpus Bonsai also can work with the light you have, it is elegant-looking as a bonsai. Sin Flora has them too.

I'm looking as well for houseplants that can live in the "dark", I have one spot in the house I'd like to fill up. Now looking for a snake plant that is miniature, and I read that the lucky bamboo, transplanted to soil instead of water, can really live in the dark. Anyway, still looking around for others too.

I always thought fukien tea and podocarpus require lots of light, preferrably direct overhead sun. What's your experience like?

#10 User is offline   brett 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

View Postgreglhc, on 27 February 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

I always thought fukien tea and podocarpus require lots of light, preferrably direct overhead sun. What's your experience like?

Fukien Tea is very well-known as a low light plant, so with my podocarpus. Podocarpus can take both full sun and non-full. It's a great tree, very low maintenance as it is so slow-growing.

https://ag.arizona.e...crophyllus.html

http://www.the-bonsa...ants-low-light/

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users