• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Giant Earthworm Largest I've ever seen

#1 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

Hello all - been a while since I've posted anything. Anyway, was cleaning out the backyard (actually, a small clearing opening into a small neck of woods just at the back of my house) and came across this fella. It's the biggest I've ever seen. Full length would be between 25 - 30 cm and about 1.5 times the thickness of a pencil. Also noticed a few bluish veins running the length of the body. I don't usually have a problem with earthworms, but this guy made me squeamish ...
Am wondering if it's a regular earthworm, or a local species of the composting type.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/mmlim/GiantEarthworm.jpg

P.S. The watch is mine, and there to give an indication of the the size of this guy. It's not the earthworm's. B)/>/>

#2 User is offline   Click 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Only Edibles -- fruits, veggies, plants and herbs please.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

View Postmm, on 09 January 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

Hello all - been a while since I've posted anything. Anyway, was cleaning out the backyard (actually, a small clearing opening into a small neck of woods just at the back of my house) and came across this fella. It's the biggest I've ever seen. Full length would be between 25 - 30 cm and about 1.5 times the thickness of a pencil. Also noticed a few bluish veins running the length of the body. I don't usually have a problem with earthworms, but this guy made me squeamish ...
Am wondering if it's a regular earthworm, or a local species of the composting type.

P.S. The watch is mine, and there to give an indication of the the size of this guy. It's not the earthworm's. http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif/>

Wow! Would love to visit your place... I go to Clementi Ave once per fortnight. Can swing by your place since it is near...

#3 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

Quite common le.. This is one of the species found in my garden .Great in making hole in soil.

#4 User is offline   pebble 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:AV, Episcia, foliage plants, edibles

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

Hi mm. Nice to see you on the forum again. :)/>

Yes, I frequently come across those earthworms you described too. It does give me the chills too, especially when I dig the soil and accidentally uncover them, and they wriggle fiercely and lash about looking for cover. They are like mini snakes. Eks!

Big worms like those means your soil is full of organic matter (i.e. fertile)! :)/>

#5 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

View Postdigitalgate, on 10 January 2014 - 01:02 AM, said:

Quite common le.. This is one of the species found in my garden .Great in making hole in soil.

View Postpebble, on 11 January 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Hi mm. Nice to see you on the forum again. :)/>/>

Yes, I frequently come across those earthworms you described too. It does give me the chills too, especially when I dig the soil and accidentally uncover them, and they wriggle fiercely and lash about looking for cover. They are like mini snakes. Eks!

Big worms like those means your soil is full of organic matter (i.e. fertile)! :)/>/>

It's not actually my garden, but public land just beyond my rear garden. Hmm ... so it seems these wormies are not uncommon as I thought. Makes me think that maybe I should have kidnapped and forcibly resettled it in my own garden, and begin a breeding program. I'm actually wondering if they are ex FWs (Foreign Worms) who have become naturalised denizens, because in all my many years of gardening (and digging in the ground), this is the first time I've come across them - unless they are simply exceptionally well fed members of the usual class of pinks. Or perhaps they are mutants creations of the Fukushima fallout. :)/>

Anyway, glad to be back again, Pebble. Actually, I've not really been away. Have logged in occasionally, but just not posted. :)/>

#6 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

LOL

#7 User is offline   worm-compost-bins.com 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Registered Merchant
  • Interests:Vermicomposting, Worms, Gardening, Worm Castings, Composting

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

It's a Malaysian Blue Worm. You can see the shade of blue when it's under the sun. Yes they can grow up to that length and size.

You can take a look at our video here on a giant worm we encountered My link

View Postmm, on 09 January 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/mmlim/GiantEarthworm.jpg

P.S. The watch is mine, and there to give an indication of the the size of this guy. It's not the earthworm's. B)/>/>/>

#8 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

View Postworm-compost-bins.com, on 19 February 2014 - 08:11 PM, said:

It's a Malaysian Blue Worm. You can see the shade of blue when it's under the sun. Yes they can grow up to that length and size.

So, it's a Perionyx excavatus! Think it's time for me to do some worm hunting. Been looking for these guys to do vermicomposting, but no body seems to sell them. My several attempts in the past with Ensida fetidas were abject (and expensive) failures.

#9 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

View Postmm, on 19 February 2014 - 11:48 PM, said:

So, it's a Perionyx excavatus! Think it's time for me to do some worm hunting. Been looking for these guys to do vermicomposting, but no body seems to sell them. My several attempts in the past with Ensida fetidas were abject (and expensive) failures.

Stephen seah still around le.. When u picking up your passiflora .

#10 User is offline   worm-compost-bins.com 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Registered Merchant
  • Interests:Vermicomposting, Worms, Gardening, Worm Castings, Composting

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

Yup that's right. We do provide blue worms if you need them. Drop by our website or just give us a text.

View Postmm, on 19 February 2014 - 11:48 PM, said:

#11 User is offline   marvinuncleherbs 

• PipPip

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:41 PM

This kind of earthworms makes soil more healthy for the plants.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users