GCS Forum: Pulasan - GCS Forum

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1

Pulasan

#1 User is offline   Bangkok 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: 01-January 14

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:22 PM

I have a pulasan tree that i bought in Singapore. The nursery at ban poo wah? road told me it is seebabat variety. Do you guys know that variety and is it nice? It should be the dark purple one and in Thailand nobody knows this fruit. When and where are they sold in Singapore then i will come to eat them.
0

#2 User is offline   AhSeng 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1183
  • Joined: 28-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:virtual island

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

The word "seebabat" is found in the link below..
http://www.hort.purd...on/pulasan.html
0

#3 User is offline   Bangkok 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: 01-January 14

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

View PostAhSeng, on 01 January 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

The word "seebabat" is found in the link below..
http://www.hort.purd...on/pulasan.html



I know that link but it gives wrong info. Pulasan can also grow in lowland tropics, on the fruitforum.com are many members who grow them in Florida or Hawaii. They don't need to be at altitude.

In Thai they call them ngoh konsan (shorthaired rambutan) but i asked 50 thai and they all don't know the fruit so i bought a tree in Singapore.
0

#4 User is offline   Hupsusie 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 251
  • Joined: 18-December 12
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tampines
  • Interests:Edible plants and herbs. Cactus n succulents

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

I think you are referring to the nursery at Bah Soon Pah road. Pulasan season is just over I think. Saw lot in the months of aug to November.
0

#5 User is offline   Bangkok 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: 01-January 14

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

View PostHupsusie, on 01 January 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

I think you are referring to the nursery at Bah Soon Pah road. Pulasan season is just over I think. Saw lot in the months of aug to November.


Oh i see, well when i was in that nursery i saw rambutans hanging on the tree's and i also read that in Malaysia they fruit in December.

I asked some people in singapore about pulasan but they had never heard of it.

I hope i got the seebabat variety but the nursery didn't know for sure, his english was not that good though.

Are there nursery's in singapore with a good website? Singapore has many fruits that we don't have in Thailand and i guess many more people from overseas will like to order from them because singaporean can speak/write good english.
0

#6 User is offline   AhSeng 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1183
  • Joined: 28-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:virtual island

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

http://i42.tinypic.com/so4jus.jpg

Just now, I went to the neighbourhood market. One of the fruit stalls has some pulasans. so this means pulasan is still available, but likely season ending very soon. The variety is unknown. The batch is not that black, most are dull red. Said to be from Malaysia. We usually do not know the variety's name. Bangkok, This is probably not the variety you are looking for.

I'm surprised that Pulasan is not readily available in Thailand when in season. I think Malaysia is the best place to look for grafted fruit trees, However, I do not have the contacts.

This post has been edited by AhSeng: 03 January 2014 - 12:12 AM

0

#7 User is offline   Wisteria 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3713
  • Joined: 12-October 07
  • Gender:Female

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:30 AM

Is pulasan considered uncommon here or was this fruit very common here decades ago? Actually, I first came across the name 'pulasan' a few years ago in GCS forum & prior to that I had never even heard of this fruit. To date, I have also never seen the fruits being sold at the market/supermarkets.
0

#8 User is offline   Bangkok 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: 01-January 14

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

The seebabat should be the best variety, i hope i have them. The skin does not cling to the flesh and also not to the seed. They should be very sweet. I never saw them in real but hope they will be good.

http://www.123rf.com...al-country.html

They are dark purple, almost black.

Malaysia has them but english is the problem there. Also i can't find any nursery's online from malaysia.

Well i have to wait many years to see my tree having fruit, it is grafted though. I bought my tree's here:
http://www.huahng.com.sg/aboutus.htm

When i emailed him and asked for seebabat he said he has it, when i asked him again in person he said probably it is seebabat as he doesn't know the variety. So maybe i flew there for nothing. I really get tired that Asians (especially Thai) never know the variety that they are selling. They always know some local name that only is known in their own area.


Here is more info about pulasan:
http://rfcarchives.o...Pulasan5-81.htm

This post has been edited by Bangkok: 03 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

0

#9 User is offline   balistyle 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1170
  • Joined: 11-December 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:East

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

Hi,

Grafted Pulasan can be easily found in Johor nurseries. The problem is you need to "desoil" to bring it back to Singapore.

If you travel along Jalan Pandan toward kota tinggi direction. There is a nursery, Soon Huat Brothers, opposite Jusco Tebrau City (Now it is called Aeon) sells many types of fruit trees. However the pulasan are usually small. I don't think the workers there know the variety. English is a problem as the workers are Indonesian. Check out Google map for general direction. The nursery in not in the map!! It is inside a slip road beside a petrol station.

I also saw some pulasan at NTUC supermart.

Good luck.

This post has been edited by balistyle: 03 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

0

#10 User is offline   Bangkok 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: 01-January 14

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

View Postbalistyle, on 03 January 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

Hi,

Grafted Pulasan can be easily found in Johor nurseries. The problem is you need to "desoil" to bring it back to Singapore.

If you travel along Jalan Pandan toward kota tinggi direction. There is a nursery, Soon Huat Brothers, opposite Jusco Tebrau City (Now it is called Aeon) sells many types of fruit trees. However the pulasan are usually small. I don't think the workers there know the variety. English is a problem as the workers are Indonesian. Check out Google map for general direction. The nursery in not in the map!! It is inside a slip road beside a petrol station.

I also saw some pulasan at NTUC supermart.

Good luck.


Okay thanks a lot for the info. Johor is Malaysia so maybe i better fly there then. Indonesians call it capullasan but i want to be sure they have seebabat before i might go there. The seebabat is bigger then the normal one and also tastes the best is what i read. Normally the best fruits of Thailand go to Singapore and overseas so i expected the best pulasans would also be in Singapore but maybe i was wrong with that.

Too bad that here in Asia not all nationality's can speak/write english well. There is much more great fruit on the world that can be grown here and maybe it is allready in Asia but we don't know it. Are there also fruitforums in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Phillipines etc? If they all would post on fruitforum.com then maybe we can help eachother to find new fruittree's.

The good thing about singapore is that it is easy to fly to and they speak english. I have been in south malaysia some years ago but they can't speak english well. It would be great if they can send the plants by courier but then i need phytosanitairy reports for the Thai customs.

In december there is a big fruit fair in Kuala Lumpur, i might go there this year to find new tree's.
0

#11 User is offline   AhSeng 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1183
  • Joined: 28-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:virtual island

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

View PostWisteria, on 03 January 2014 - 12:30 AM, said:

Is pulasan considered uncommon here or was this fruit very common here decades ago? Actually, I first came across the name 'pulasan' a few years ago in GCS forum & prior to that I had never even heard of this fruit. To date, I have also never seen the fruits being sold at the market/supermarkets.


These days, it is available when in season. but not as common as rambutans. I first know of this fruit around 1987-1990. I saw some at AMK hub NTUC last week, but this week they didn't stock it. Dialect name is " Pu tor sang ".
0

#12 User is offline   AhSeng 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1183
  • Joined: 28-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:virtual island

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

View PostBangkok, on 03 January 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

Okay thanks a lot for the info. Johor is Malaysia so maybe i better fly there then. Indonesians call it capullasan but i want to be sure they have seebabat before i might go there. The seebabat is bigger then the normal one and also tastes the best is what i read. Normally the best fruits of Thailand go to Singapore and overseas so i expected the best pulasans would also be in Singapore but maybe i was wrong with that.

Too bad that here in Asia not all nationality's can speak/write english well. There is much more great fruit on the world that can be grown here and maybe it is allready in Asia but we don't know it. Are there also fruitforums in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Phillipines etc? If they all would post on fruitforum.com then maybe we can help eachother to find new fruittree's.

The good thing about singapore is that it is easy to fly to and they speak english. I have been in south malaysia some years ago but they can't speak english well. It would be great if they can send the plants by courier but then i need phytosanitairy reports for the Thai customs.

In december there is a big fruit fair in Kuala Lumpur, i might go there this year to find new tree's.


Anyone knows where are the fruit stalls in Singapore that stock premium grade tropical fruits ?
I know a fruit stall opposite Fu Lu Shou Complex at Queen street/Rochor road. I've seen tourists eat durians there.
However, I didn't go there recently, I don't know if they stock pulasan. Otherwise, it is Geylang area fruit stalls, but said to be notorious, when it is about durians.

Malaysia has several fruit farms that cater to tourists. I've not visited any, but I've heard the advertisements on radio a while back. Something like Desaru Fruit Farm, or there are several others. Anyone been to such farms ? Anything interesting ?

This post has been edited by AhSeng: 04 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

0

#13 User is offline   balistyle 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1170
  • Joined: 11-December 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:East

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

Was at NTUC mart at Changi city biz east this morning. It has pulasan going at $2.70/kg. Not sure about other Fairprice marts!
0

#14 User is offline   jambul 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 66
  • Joined: 01-August 11

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:58 PM

In the past when I was young (many years ago) pulasan was considered a poorer cousin of rambutans and there were not many ppl growing them although they existed in kampongs in Malaysia. Rambutans were the preferred tree to grow but prices have dropped and labour costs gone up and I understand from plantation owners in Malaysia (Johor) that they seldom export them to Singapore now.
I remember some years back when there was a big harvest and the price of rambutans dropped to 10 cents a kilo!
Nowadays most rambutans, mangosteens, and even pulasan are imported from Thailand. That is according to my friendly neighborhood fruit seller. In the past, pulasan was just sweet but the flesh tended to stick to the seeds but in recent years, it has become much more like rambutans and the flesh no longer sticks to the seeds. Must be new cultivars
Anyway, I think it would be much easier to find such plants in Thailand than in Singapore. Everything here is imported, even people!

This post has been edited by jambul: 05 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

0

#15 User is offline   Bangkok 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: 01-January 14

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

View Postjambul, on 04 January 2014 - 11:58 PM, said:

In the past when I was young (many years ago) pulasan was considered a poorer cousin of rambutans and there were not many ppl growing them although they existed in kampongs in Malaysia. Rambutans were the preferred tree to grow but prices have dropped and labour costs gone up and I understand from plantation owners in Malaysia (Johor) that they seldom export them to Singapore now.
I remember some years back when there was a big harvest and the price of rambutans dropped to 10 cents a kilo!
Nowadays most rambutans, mangosteens, and even pulasan are imported from Thailand. That is according to my friendly neighborhood fruit seller. In the past, pulasan was just sweet but the flesh tended to stick to the seeds but in recent years, it has become much more like rambutans and the flesh no longer sticks to the seeds. Must be new cultivars
Anyway, I think it would be much easier to find such plants in Thailand than in Singapore. Everything here is imported, even people!


I gave up looking for them in Thailand. The seebabat variety tastes much better then any rambutan, doesn't stick to the seed (which you can eat)and is a bigger fruit. I hope i have one of those tree's. I don't like rambutans.

I never heard of changi-market, must be close to the airport i guess. I will go back to singapore and spend some days there, also want to visit the botanical garden.
0

#16 User is offline   balistyle 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1170
  • Joined: 11-December 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:East

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

View Postbalistyle, on 04 January 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

Was at NTUC mart at Changi city biz east this morning. It has pulasan going at $2.70/kg. Not sure about other Fairprice marts!


Here is the pic taken at the mart.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5496/11789575763_b59c4bc461.jpg
0

#17 User is offline   Bangkok 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: 01-January 14

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

View Postbalistyle, on 06 January 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

Here is the pic taken at the mart.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5496/11789575763_b59c4bc461.jpg


They look great! But a little small i guess. If i compare them to these pics then i still don't know if this is seebabat.

https://www.google.n...fe=off&tbm=isch

Anyway i will just grow my tree and if i see a grafted tree from seebabat somewhere i will buy it as well. I am not sure but i think the ones from the market are not seebabat. They have to be bigger then a rambutan.

This post has been edited by Bangkok: 06 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

0

#18 User is offline   Bangkok 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: 01-January 14

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:15 PM

View PostBangkok, on 06 January 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:

They look great! But a little small i guess. If i compare them to these pics then i still don't know if this is seebabat.

https://www.google.n...fe=off&tbm=isch

Anyway i will just grow my tree and if i see a grafted tree from seebabat somewhere i will buy it as well. I am not sure but i think the ones from the market are not seebabat. They have to be bigger then a rambutan.



Are there any new nursery's who sell pulasan seebabat in singapore? Or other nice fruittree's?
0

#19 User is offline   AhSeng 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1183
  • Joined: 28-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:virtual island

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:53 PM

View PostBangkok, on 21 January 2016 - 06:15 PM, said:

Are there any new nursery's who sell pulasan seebabat in singapore? Or other nice fruittree's?



Now it is near chinese new year. Most of the nurseries are selling citrus plants,Kumquats, rhododendrons etc.. But these plants are common. I think I saw Ponderosa lemon plant, retailing at $80. Quite expensive to me. It has a big lemon, but they didn't state ponderosa. They just label lemon.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users