GCS Forum: Dendro leaves suddenly turned yellow - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Dendro leaves suddenly turned yellow in a matter of a few hours!

#1 User is offline   grannyhobby 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

Hi Forummers!

I got my first orchid a few weeks ago from Heng Soon. Its been doing pretty well but suddenly yeterday 2 leaves suddeny turned yellow and dropped off! It was fine in the morning but in the evening this happened !
Since its been very rainy last few days, I have been watering it alternate days only. Could this be a sun burn? My window get direct, hot sunlight from 1pm to 6pm. Since last few days not much sun, I put it near the window. But yesterday the sun was scorching and unfortunately forgot to take it away from the windowside!

I also haven't been applying a fungicide ... could this be a fungal infection??
Argh!! Help!!

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w607/Princess031604/Gardening/IMG_11381_zps770e641c.jpg

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w607/Princess031604/Gardening/IMG_11361_zpsaeba6278.jpg
http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w607/Princess031604/Gardening/IMG_11351_zpse27b7ac3.jpg

Roots seem ok:
http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w607/Princess031604/Gardening/IMG_11371_zps40cf2543.jpg

#2 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:03 PM

Sunburn. U should provide partial shade for the plant. It thrive in partial shade . Give it a 50% shade or 20% if u wish.

#3 User is offline   Chatbud 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Ok lah, 1 or 2 leaves only.

All my dendrobiums are under bright shade; NO DIRECT SUN.

#4 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

It also need more water :)/>

#5 User is offline   grannyhobby 

• PipPip

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

Hi,

Thanks DG, chatbud!

How do you recognise the signs of underwatering? I was told not to water it on rainy days. Is this true?

These few days not much sunlight. In this case, do i need to move the plant to a brighter place ( without direct sunlight?)

Does 50% refer to intensity or duration?

#6 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

Look at the yellow leave and look at the corresponding pseudobulb.
Does the pseudobulb still have viable roots, or does it look rotten? It's been raining non stop daily.

#7 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

50% is intensity ,duration minimum 5 hours of continuous sunlight .

#8 User is offline   hypercad 

• PipPip

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

Some of the yellowing leaves look like they had a change of environment (from farm to your home) and thus changes in humidity, etc. etc. triggered droppage.

They could of course be due to other reasons also.

When I bought dendrobium phal, the lower and older leaves react this way....

Unless this continues, then no cause for concern.

When I bought one dendro phal (big one), one of the pseudobulbs shed all leaves, leaving the stalk. I left it alone, after a few mths, it decided to send out a spike.

I also think quite unlike underwatering cos they have pseudobulbs, but you can water at least once a day - the charcoal medium drains out immediately.

I think light-wise, you need bright light, they can take full sunlight until 11am, and later afternoon sun from 5 pm onwards.

50% light is not half a day light, half a day no light. 50% means 50% light coming in throughout day.

A good friend told me that sometimes he moves some of them to different areas in the flat but I think that is extreme lah. No point.

My friend lifts the plants as much as possible to ledge of balcony so they can receive as much light (pls tie them or strong winds blow and they could be killer litter). If your balcony is exposed to light, from ceiling to floor, grow them there.

Lately I changed my 50% shade to maybe 10-20% shade (using a green netting), and there was sunlight coming in, and burnt my leaves (ouch!). Usually the older leaves burn, and drop off or scarring occurs, but the new pseudobulbs harden to high sunlight, and reward with lotsa spikes and blooming. OK I must confess I live in a house with a south-facing garden, so conditions may be right.

I am pretty convinced that light green leaves, or leaves with purple tinge are right light levels. My growing culture is to expose high light as much until light green. Fertilisation is less concern.

Many of the dend phal do well and easy in Singapore. They tend to be pretty free-flowering because of hybridisation.

OK these are my own opinions - others may differ but this works for me.

#9 User is offline   grannyhobby 

• PipPip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

Hypercad,

That was very valuable information! Thank you!

The yellowing and dropping have stopped (only 2 leaf victims!) and they were new leaves (not the old ones). I have since moved the plant to a window with bright light and protection from the noon sun as you have suggested. Thanks for the tips on looking out for the leaf colour.

Most of us may have slightly different experiences in caring for our plants. Thats common. No two kids are the same even though they come from the same parents *wink* There are perhaps many genetic and climatic factors that play a role. So any information from the experts is valuable.

Thanks!!

#10 User is offline   Chatbud 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:27 AM

View Postgrannyhobby, on 15 November 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

Hypercad,

That was very valuable information! Thank you!

The yellowing and dropping have stopped (only 2 leaf victims!) and they were new leaves (not the old ones). I have since moved the plant to a window with bright light and protection from the noon sun as you have suggested. Thanks for the tips on looking out for the leaf colour.

Most of us may have slightly different experiences in caring for our plants. Thats common. No two kids are the same even though they come from the same parents *wink* There are perhaps many genetic and climatic factors that play a role. So any information from the experts is valuable.

Thanks!!

Actually afternoon sun is a big no no for orchids except for big vanda types.

Btw, wanna check with you.
Which part of Heng Soon did you enter to buy orchids?
The same entrance as Song?

#11 User is offline   grannyhobby 

• PipPip

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

Yes chatbud.

I walked up the slope from Song Orchids.

#12 User is offline   Chatbud 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

View Postgrannyhobby, on 18 November 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

Yes chatbud.

I walked up the slope from Song Orchids.

Once up the slope can see orchids already?
Or need to walk some more?
HSF is H U G E. :ninja:/>

#13 User is offline   grannyhobby 

• PipPip

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

Haha. Very huge.

Yep. Orchids are just next to the slope. As you enter the farm there are many common garden varieties to the right ( downslope from the airplants). There are some to the left of the slope too. These are the larger hanging orchids ( as opposed to the potted ones).

All the best!

#14 User is offline   Chatbud 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:31 PM

View Postgrannyhobby, on 18 November 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Haha. Very huge.

Yep. Orchids are just next to the slope. As you enter the farm there are many common garden varieties to the right ( downslope from the airplants). There are some to the left of the slope too. These are the larger hanging orchids ( as opposed to the potted ones).

All the best!

WOH! HSF got vandas????? :o/> :wub:/> :drool:/>
Thanks! Must go see see liao

#15 User is offline   drektster 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:36 AM

View PostChatbud, on 18 November 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

WOH! HSF got vandas????? :o/>/> :wub:/>/> :drool:/>/>
Thanks! Must go see see liao

但是他們的花,根部附著很多青苔。有些人嫌牠礙眼,但是我倒是喜歡這種自然的美。

#16 User is offline   Lionel Teng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Plants that I started growing:

Herbs:
    Climbing Gyruna, Rose Catcus, Cat's Whisker
    Plantain Herbs, Chinese Knotweed, Patchouli

Culinary Herbs:
    Thyme, Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Bay Leaf and Lemon Myrtle, Mint including Bergamot Mint, Tashkent Mint Corn Mint.Mexican Tarragon

Currently Growing: Orchid Both Sun Loving and Shade Loving

Including:

Hybird
    LC,Laeliocattleya BLC, Brassolaeliocattleya

Brassavola Codrata

and also Jewel Orchids including Macodes Lowii,
    Anoectochilus Formansanus and also Roxburghii

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

In the plant every one help and compliements each other like for an example:

A Tree bark provides the space for lichen and Hyphaes to grow on the bark surface thus, Ecologist uses the growth and the scale of the lichen to indicates the air quality in that specific areas whether its air circulation is good or poor.

Then the Hyphae and Mosses provides the seed of the epiphytes such as ferns and orchids or even some unknown mistletoes to feed on the hyphaes as their seed do not have a diecotes or monocotes to support the growth with foods.

Therefore we see a ecology cycles takes place !.

That why I also prefers Vanda with some lichens or mosses that grows on their roots, However that means you do not have to overwater your vanda roots

There always a tradition methods of removing the excess mosses by diluting sparse amount of vinegar those rice vinegar are best with hefty amount of water and spread it on the surface of the roots however, do exercise care on doing it !.

Hopes this helps!.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users