Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

Just sharing my ribbon ferns...

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/kkwokhoo/rf-1_zps818115d2.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/kkwokhoo/rf-2_zpsf23c9f6e.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/kkwokhoo/rf-3_zpsd4567412.jpg

#2 User is offline   janaka 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Country music,cricket, collecting huperzia, platycerium and rare and unusual plants

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:54 PM

Very nice what is the media you have used for this plant.

View Postkalex, on 07 November 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

#3 User is offline   kalex 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

View Postjanaka, on 07 November 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

Very nice what is the media you have used for this plant.

Hi, I use fern roots to wrap around the roots and top up with coconut husks; then with a layer of sphagnum moss to keep the pot moist. I use the slotted pots to give opportunity for the ferns to grow out (through the slots). I keep the pot moist as much as I can with no worry of root-rot as that area has pretty good air circulation... Cheers!

#4 User is offline   pino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

hi alex did you feed them with osmocote?

#5 User is offline   myherb 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Herbs, fragrant plants, jewel orchids, ferns-platycerium.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

View Postkalex, on 08 November 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

Hi, I use fern roots to wrap around the roots and top up with coconut husks; then with a layer of sphagnum moss to keep the pot moist. I use the slotted pots to give opportunity for the ferns to grow out (through the slots). I keep the pot moist as much as I can with no worry of root-rot as that area has pretty good air circulation... Cheers!

Hi,
You have a lovely fern garden there. I have a few pots of ribbon fern and lately they are producing spore pod and I am hoping to grow them from spore. What I did was gather a spore pod which has change to yellow color, breaks it to pour the powdery spore on to a 'chunk of root' of the bird nest plant. (Platycerium peat will do nicely but I don't have enough of those). I stab the 'chunk' to create as many depression,(It is then mounted on a piece of fern root slab) I sprinkle some Mycorrhizal fungi made by Empathy, uk. I have heard the fungi are needed for them to grow. I am hoping for some advice on growing Ribbon fern from spores. cheers!

An interesting site regarding Ribbon fern

http://www.rareferns...phioglossum.htm

#6 User is offline   kalex 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

View Postpino, on 08 November 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

hi alex did you feed them with osmocote?

Hi Pino, long time no see (or hear). So far never use osmocote, just seaweed occasionally...Cheers!

#7 User is offline   kalex 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

View Postmyherb, on 08 November 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

Hi,
You have a lovely fern garden there. I have a few pots of ribbon fern and lately they are producing spore pod and I am hoping to grow them from spore. What I did was gather a spore pod which has change to yellow color, breaks it to pour the powdery spore on to a 'chunk of root' of the bird nest plant. (Platycerium peat will do nicely but I don't have enough of those). I stab the 'chunk' to create as many depression,(It is then mounted on a piece of fern root slab) I sprinkle some Mycorrhizal fungi made by Empathy, uk. I have heard the fungi are needed for them to grow. I am hoping for some advice on growing Ribbon fern from spores. cheers!

An interesting site regarding Ribbon fern

http://www.rareferns...phioglossum.htm

Hi, I have not tried growing from spores per say. What I did was to take the spore pod and stir it in a pail of water. Then I water the pots with it; hoping they will grow naturally. I may have been successful; if you notice my last photo above where there was a new growth up from the top of the pot and also from one of the side slot. The ribbon ferns seem to grow pretty well with me; and the five pots (in the first photo) was re-potted from a single large chunk of a single pot...Cheers!

#8 User is offline   pino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

View Postkalex, on 08 November 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

Hi Pino, long time no see (or hear). So far never use osmocote, just seaweed occasionally...Cheers!

i see. tks.
nice to hear from you too.

#9 User is offline   janaka 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Country music,cricket, collecting huperzia, platycerium and rare and unusual plants

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

Thanks, so much for the information.

View Postkalex, on 08 November 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

#10 User is offline   nst 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

My ophioglossum died out unfortunately after my house renovation. Any (legal) sources for them in Singapore ?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users