• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

Just to share :)/>/>

Anyone going?

Orchid Plant Sales

When: 3 Nov (Sun), 8am - 6pm
Where: Drop-Off point, Green Pavilion, Botany Centre, Singapore Botanic Gardens
A sale for all orchid lovers. Every first Sunday of the month, pick a bargain and bring home one of these beautiful plants.

#2 User is offline   Chatbud 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

View Postleenateo, on 31 October 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

Just to share :)/>/>/>

Anyone going?

Orchid Plant Sales

When: 3 Nov (Sun), 8am - 6pm
Where: Drop-Off point, Green Pavilion, Botany Centre, Singapore Botanic Gardens
A sale for all orchid lovers. Every first Sunday of the month, pick a bargain and bring home one of these beautiful plants.

Woon Leng brought a lot of vandas (all the Roberts all spiking and blooming) and ascocentrums I think. Saw him packing.
Then got free gifts too. Buy dun know how many free smaller pot of orchid (all those in the middle of the jungle area at the farm. lol)

#3 User is offline   bukitimah 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

I was there yesterday and saw some lovely Taiwan phalaenopsis. However, that guy told me they are good for about 2 weeks and they you need to replace it.

Can we grow them here? I have tried but after a while, the leaves become yellow and die. Saw some, but not sure if they are the same species hanging with their roots exposed but cost much more. Which one is a better choice for our climate?

#4 User is offline   Chatbud 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

View Postbukitimah, on 04 November 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

I was there yesterday and saw some lovely Taiwan phalaenopsis. However, that guy told me they are good for about 2 weeks and they you need to replace it.

Can we grow them here? I have tried but after a while, the leaves become yellow and die. Saw some, but not sure if they are the same species hanging with their roots exposed but cost much more. Which one is a better choice for our climate?

Neither is good for our climate.
Can grow here but difficult to bloom or will only bloom at year-end.

All these TW phals are being brought in for the unsuspecting/uneducated consumers.

Woon Leng is going big into this TW phals - more for the landscaping and decor business.

This post has been edited by Chatbud: 04 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

#5 User is offline   bukitimah 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

lucky I ask. So, what would you suggest. Those that I pick up in the nursery?

#6 User is offline   keff 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

Actually i find TW phals quite hardy. You just have to make sure you dont over water them, and dont let the crowns stay wet for extended period of time. They may bloom once or twice a year depending on your location. If you have seen the thread by Boonboon, you can see what fantastic results a skilful grower can achieve. I really hope to have his skill one day.

However if you prefer "novelty phals" (do a search on what this means), they also do well in our climate. The blooms tend to be smaller but pnce they start blooming, they can be flower almost perpetually.

On your TW phal leaves turning yellow, my hunch is that you have overwatered them, causing the roots to rot
The plant then dehydrates and dies. How much to water is like any other skill that has to be learnt and adjusted for your location. My suggestion is that you pick up some post-season TW phals from WL. He may sell them between $5-8. Try out on those. My personal experience is to let the medium just dry out completely before watering again. For me this takes between 3 to 5 days because I leave the sphagnum moss medium it came with

This post has been edited by keff: 05 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

#7 User is offline   bukitimah 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for your advice. Yes, I will try out some before moving to the more expensive ones. It is less painful if it cost less than $10 when it fails.

#8 User is offline   Chatbud 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

View Postbukitimah, on 06 November 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

Thanks for your advice. Yes, I will try out some before moving to the more expensive ones. It is less painful if it cost less than $10 when it fails.

Why not grow orchids more native to our climate? Like dendrobiums, vandaceous types and cattleyas?
Comparing foliage to foliage when there are no blooms: I find dendrobium canes, monopodial vanda and cattleya pbulbs a lot more interesting to look at than the floppy leaves of a phalaenopsis.

#9 User is offline   bukitimah 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

Went to Hua Hng this afternoon and pick up some plants. Will post the 2 orchid that I will try out. All
Advice welcome.

#10 User is offline   keff 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:16 PM

Its really not hard. Here is pic of a TW phal I bought from WL.

I like hanging my phals instead of the traditional upright pot because I find that water does not collect in the crowns. Notice that the newer leaves are in held in a growing direction from the older leaves. I think my lighting level is too low as the new leaves are long and narrow. Also the blooms are a little smaller than I would like.

You also often read people say that the medium should always be left moist. For me, my phals do not seem to mind drying out for a couple of days in between waterings. I suppose you have to experiment with your own conditions to find what works for you.

Hope this helps.

K

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab124/lim-share/Orchids/first_bloom.jpg

This post has been edited by keff: 08 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

#11 User is offline   bukitimah 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

This is interesting. I would like to hang some in my shaded patio. Need to work on it. Flowers always add life and make the place pretty. I have just updated here

My link

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users