GCS Forum: Annoying Ah Peks rambling rants - GCS Forum

Jump to content

  • 25 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Last »

Annoying Ah Peks rambling rants What I observe....

#41 User is offline   Ah Pek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: 21-August 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vasco da Gama/Singapore/Bangalore/Johor Bahru/Houston
  • Interests:[FIG COLLECTOR]
    [RARE FRUITER]

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Harvested tapioca....

not much tho.

my maids wanted to eat them.

they dun wanna eat the leaves.



Cut down about 20 galangal plants


Harvested Kang Kong as well. Again my maids craving for it despite the fact that only they have eaten the first, second third, fourth and fifth harvest all by themselves.

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz161/iblessonsspore/20131016_074626_zps6a88c94f.jpg

Check out the water .....above poor drainage

Check the pic below.

All the garden rubbish goes in here...

The galangal, tapioca, lemon grass, kang kong stems, banana leaves etc.

And I must say it deteriorates pretty fast as in decomposes.

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz161/iblessonsspore/20131016_084501_zps2a0fbec6.jpg
0

#42 User is offline   Click 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 626
  • Joined: 11-July 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bedok South
  • Interests:Only Edibles -- fruits, veggies, plants and herbs please.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

View PostAh Pek, on 16 October 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

Harvested tapioca....

not much tho.

my maids wanted to eat them.

they dun wanna eat the leaves.

Cut down about 20 galangal plants

Harvested Kang Kong as well. Again my maids craving for it despite the fact that only they have eaten the first, second third, fourth and fifth harvest all by themselves.

Check out the water .....above poor drainage

Check the pic below.

All the garden rubbish goes in here...

The galangal, tapioca, lemon grass, kang kong stems, banana leaves etc.

And I must say it deteriorates pretty fast as in decomposes.


Hello Ah Pek.
Nice! Compost heap in ground... must be fast action?
In JB or Singapore?



0

#43 User is offline   Ah Pek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: 21-August 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vasco da Gama/Singapore/Bangalore/Johor Bahru/Houston
  • Interests:[FIG COLLECTOR]
    [RARE FRUITER]

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

Hi Click,

Yeah in Ang Moh environment the compost takes a long time to happen.

I'm doing this in my garden in JB.

But in our humid tropical Spore Msia environment really fast action.

The garden waste is really a lot.

So when time permits, dig a pit and throw everything inside.

So the soil gets conditioned and richer and I also do not have a waste disposal issue.

Especially when you cut a banana tree (is it a tree) after harvest, disposing it off is a huge problem. Best way is to return it to my garden by cutting it into smaller pieces.

HOPEFULLY BY mid 2014, my garden will be in a, better shape.

View PostClick, on 16 October 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

[/size]

Hello Ah Pek.
Nice! Compost heap in ground... must be fast action?
In JB or Singapore?



This post has been edited by Ah Pek: 16 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

0

#44 User is offline   Click 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 626
  • Joined: 11-July 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bedok South
  • Interests:Only Edibles -- fruits, veggies, plants and herbs please.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostAh Pek, on 16 October 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

Hi Click,

Yeah in Ang Moh environment the compost takes a long time to happen.

I'm doing this in my garden in JB.

But in our humid tropical Spore Msia environment really fast action.

The garden waste is really a lot.

So when time permits, dig a pit and throw everything inside.

So the soil gets conditioned and richer and I also do not have a waste disposal issue.

Especially when you cut a banana tree (is it a tree) after harvest, disposing it off is a huge problem. Best way is to return it to my garden by cutting it into smaller pieces.

HOPEFULLY BY mid 2014, my garden will be in a, better shape.




Jia You!! I am looking forward to hearing that your garden has improved!..

0

#45 User is offline   Ah Pek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: 21-August 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vasco da Gama/Singapore/Bangalore/Johor Bahru/Houston
  • Interests:[FIG COLLECTOR]
    [RARE FRUITER]

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

I bought 100 bags of Tanah Campur .... mixed garden soil.

This is how it looks.

Lost track of the number of bags I bought. Around 2000 + ?

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz161/iblessonsspore/20131016_141604-1_zps0b7c7664.jpg

A few hundred bags were wasted coz I did not get the right soil mix while mixing the soil into my garden.

call it penny wise pound foolish
0

#46 User is offline   Ah Pek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: 21-August 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vasco da Gama/Singapore/Bangalore/Johor Bahru/Houston
  • Interests:[FIG COLLECTOR]
    [RARE FRUITER]

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

thank you Click

View PostClick, on 16 October 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Jia You!! I am looking forward to hearing that your garden has improved!..

0

#47 User is offline   Click 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 626
  • Joined: 11-July 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bedok South
  • Interests:Only Edibles -- fruits, veggies, plants and herbs please.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostAh Pek, on 16 October 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

I bought 100 bags of Tanah Campur .... mixed garden soil.

This is how it looks.

Lost track of the number of bags I bought. Around 2000 + ?

A few hundred bags were wasted coz I did not get the right soil mix while mixing the soil into my garden.

call it penny wise pound foolish


Ah Pek! You are in JB!!
You can buy goo sai by the truckload!!
I suggest you buy garden soil by the truckload as well...
May be cheaper than to buy bags!

Goodness me!!!

0

#48 User is offline   Ah Pek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: 21-August 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vasco da Gama/Singapore/Bangalore/Johor Bahru/Houston
  • Interests:[FIG COLLECTOR]
    [RARE FRUITER]

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

Click, ur right.

Me penny wise pound foolish.

Any idea what this plant is ?

Thought it was lemon balm when I purchased it.

Am I wrong ?


http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz161/iblessonsspore/20131016_160851_zps20d1fc10.jpg

Back to Spore tonight.

Back to JB tmrw night.



View PostClick, on 16 October 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

Ah Pek! You are in JB!!
You can buy goo sai by the truckload!!
I suggest you buy garden soil by the truckload as well...
May be cheaper than to buy bags!

Goodness me!!!

0

#49 User is offline   Click 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 626
  • Joined: 11-July 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bedok South
  • Interests:Only Edibles -- fruits, veggies, plants and herbs please.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

View PostAh Pek, on 16 October 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

Click, ur right.

Me penny wise pound foolish.

Any idea what this plant is ?

Thought it was lemon balm when I purchased it.

Am I wrong ?

Back to Spore tonight.

Back to JB tmrw night.



Dont look like lemon balm..
Looks like Indian Borage..

This is Lemon Balm:
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/ClickCluck5/P10002661_zpsffa96133.jpg

This post has been edited by Click: 16 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

0

#50 User is offline   Ah Pek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: 21-August 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vasco da Gama/Singapore/Bangalore/Johor Bahru/Houston
  • Interests:[FIG COLLECTOR]
    [RARE FRUITER]

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

Sir Click, u r absolutely right.

You helped me identify it.

Thanks again.

So I'm off to WF tmrw to buy lemon balm.

Do you use plants for their medicinal benefits ?

Lemon balm has loads of benefits.

Do you use them for medical benefits ?

View PostClick, on 16 October 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

[/size]

Dont look like lemon balm..
Looks like Indian Borage..

This is Lemon Balm:
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/ClickCluck5/P10002661_zpsffa96133.jpg

0

#51 User is offline   Click 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 626
  • Joined: 11-July 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bedok South
  • Interests:Only Edibles -- fruits, veggies, plants and herbs please.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostAh Pek, on 16 October 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

Sir Click, u r absolutely right.

You helped me identify it.

Thanks again.

So I'm off to WF tmrw to buy lemon balm.

Do you use plants for their medicinal benefits ?

Lemon balm has loads of benefits.

Do you use them for medical benefits ?



Hello Ah Pek,
So far, I use it for dips and drinks..
What do you use it for? Let me
learn from you. Thanks!! :)/>

0

#52 User is offline   bridgehouse 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 163
  • Joined: 31-January 09

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

View PostClick, on 16 October 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

Hello Ah Pek,
So far, I use it for dips and drinks..
What do you use it for? Let me
learn from you. Thanks!! :)/>/>/>


Hi

Talking about Lemon Balm, I bought a pot from NTUC last week solely because of its smell! Sits near the kitchen window now. I happened to be cooking some pork meat and decided to throw some leaves in to kill the porky smell and it did! Tried it in my tea and it tasted nice. Btw, I know the plant can suffer root rot easily but it likes a lot of water. I have transferred the plant into a pot of Tref potting mix soon after I brought it home. It was sitting on tiny pebbles and very wet then. So far plant doing nicely except for some leaves at the bottom drying out and withered.
Was that the right thing to do!


Bridgehouse.
0

#53 User is offline   Click 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 626
  • Joined: 11-July 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bedok South
  • Interests:Only Edibles -- fruits, veggies, plants and herbs please.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

View Postbridgehouse, on 17 October 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

Hi

Talking about Lemon Balm, I bought a pot from NTUC last week solely because of its smell! Sits near the kitchen window now. I happened to be cooking some pork meat and decided to throw some leaves in to kill the porky smell and it did! Tried it in my tea and it tasted nice. Btw, I know the plant can suffer root rot easily but it likes a lot of water. I have transferred the plant into a pot of Tref potting mix soon after I brought it home. It was sitting on tiny pebbles and very wet then. So far plant doing nicely except for some leaves at the bottom drying out and withered.
Was that the right thing to do!

Bridgehouse.


Hello Bridgehouse,
My plant is in soil. But the withered and dry leaves are common for lemon balm. They love water. Sometimes when the weather is very hot, I water them twice a day. My soil is quick draining. I water to brim, and let water escape. So far so good. When your plant is established, think of propagating a couple more pots. They are easy to grow as well. :)/>

0

#54 User is offline   Wisteria 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3713
  • Joined: 12-October 07
  • Gender:Female

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

Isn't the photo in post #49 mint? Lemon balm looks totally different.
0

#55 User is offline   Ah Pek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: 21-August 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vasco da Gama/Singapore/Bangalore/Johor Bahru/Houston
  • Interests:[FIG COLLECTOR]
    [RARE FRUITER]

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

Just info from google dude regarding the med values of herbs.

But I know couple of ppl who eat lemon balm, sage, Indian borage, fenugreek etc for their medicinal values first thing in d morning.

They Hv been doing it for years and r quite in good shape at such an old age.

Me trying or rather dying to get them to establish themselves in my garden.




View PostClick, on 16 October 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

Hello Ah Pek,
So far, I use it for dips and drinks..
What do you use it for? Let me
learn from you. Thanks!! :)/>/>

0

#56 User is offline   Ah Pek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: 21-August 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vasco da Gama/Singapore/Bangalore/Johor Bahru/Houston
  • Interests:[FIG COLLECTOR]
    [RARE FRUITER]

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

Hi Wisteria, yea.. lemon balm n mint look so alike and are yet so apart.

I can only make them out by crushing the leaf n sniffing them or by touching the leaves.

Regd the pic in post #49, I'm none the wiser..really.

Only you can advise n il listen.




View PostWisteria, on 17 October 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

Isn't the photo in post #49 mint? Lemon balm looks totally different.

0

#57 User is offline   Wisteria 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3713
  • Joined: 12-October 07
  • Gender:Female

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hi Ah Pek, I'm referring to the photo posted by Click in post #49 (I grew this mint variety before years ago), not the photo posted by yourself in post #48 (that one is Indian Borage).

I don't have a photo of lemon balm in my photo album. Google for lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) and immediately can see the differences between lemon balm & the plants in post#48 and post#49.

This post has been edited by Wisteria: 17 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

0

#58 User is offline   Ah Pek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: 21-August 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vasco da Gama/Singapore/Bangalore/Johor Bahru/Houston
  • Interests:[FIG COLLECTOR]
    [RARE FRUITER]

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

Hi Wisteria thanks.

Someday hope to acquire about 10% of ur knowledge.

Are you a botanist? or is this your hobby?

Some of you so good with the scientific names.




View PostWisteria, on 17 October 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

Hi Ah Pek, I'm referring to the photo posted by Click in post #49 (I grew this mint variety before years ago), not the photo posted by yourself in post #48 (that one is Indian Borage).

I don't have a photo of lemon balm in my photo album. Google for lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) and immediately can see the differences between lemon balm & the plants in post#48 and post#49.

0

#59 User is offline   Wisteria 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3713
  • Joined: 12-October 07
  • Gender:Female

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

Gardening is just one of my hobbies. It's good to know the botanical names because some of the common names are very misleading. The same plant may have more than 5 different names used by different people. Sometimes, the same common name may refer to a few totally unrelated plants. Hence when the botanical name is used, we know we are talking about the same plant and meaningful discussion can proceed further.
0

#60 User is offline   Click 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 626
  • Joined: 11-July 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bedok South
  • Interests:Only Edibles -- fruits, veggies, plants and herbs please.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostWisteria, on 17 October 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

Isn't the photo in post #49 mint? Lemon balm looks totally different.


Hmmm Wisteria... cant tell the difference from photos in
Google images between Mint and Lemon Balm.

Pls teach.

Mint:
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/ClickCluck5/Mintleaf_zpse9290488.jpg

Lemon Balm:
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/ClickCluck5/Melissa_officinalis-LemonBalm_zps7e1a6eac.jpg

This post has been edited by Click: 17 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

0

Share this topic:


  • 25 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users