GCS Forum: Any conifer experts here? - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Any conifer experts here? Evergreens

#1 User is offline   Chatbud 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:28 PM

Q1. Can Cupressus Macrocarpa (Cypress Goldcrest) be grown in our climate??

I used to have a pot of this. The needles turned brown and it died a slow and certain death.
Could I be underwatering it? I see it being sold at FEF and WF.

Q2
. How to differentiate between Cook Pine and Norfolk Island Pine? They look too similar. Are both sold at local nurseries?
I thought I have a Norfolk Island Pine until somebody pointed out I could have a Cook Pine instead.

Q3. I have this Thuja. Bought from nursery. Is it the same as Arborvitae that the Americans like to call?
Q4. Do you water your evergreens with diluted coffee/coffee grounds?
Q5. Are the above evergreens very big drinkers and feeders? I am still experimenting with the latter 2. Recently, I dumped a lot of chix poo & liquid NPK on to my plants. Most seemed unable to take it. :lol:/>/> (growth slowed/no blooms) However, the 2 evergreens seem to LOVE the chix poo. The Norfolk Island or Cook Pine grew very fast. The foliage is spreading out wide and high. The Thuja looked very green and got noticeably taller. I believe they also need to be watered as much as possible? Just need to be certain so I won't drown or overfertilise them. I just love the intricate needles and foliage patterns of these evergreens. B)/>/>

This post has been edited by Chatbud: 04 August 2013 - 11:29 PM

#2 User is offline   Chatbud 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:07 AM

The evergreen on the right - is it a Cook Pine or Norfolk Island Pine??

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq29/abbylimab/IMG_3219.jpg

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users