GCS Forum: Dendrobiums - GCS Forum

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1

Dendrobiums Easiest orchids to rebloom

#1 User is offline   Greyfingers 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2086
  • Joined: 05-July 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Singapore

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

They rebloom easily. :)/>

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad83/Greyfingers/Orchids/DSCF5710_zps6885558c.jpg
0

#2 User is offline   Chatbud 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 598
  • Joined: 12-June 13

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

How often does this pot bloom in a year?

I got 4 pots. Dun know is it cos I put under direct sun too hot?
They grew a lot of keikis but dun want to bloom leh
How often do you pump NPK into this pot?
Looking at the foliage, this pot doesn't go under direct sun right?
0

#3 User is offline   Greyfingers 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2086
  • Joined: 05-July 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Singapore

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

But I must say I have been unable to keep their leaves if they want to drop. :hysterical:/>

Yes this pot is not in the sun. I put it in a shaded area. Direct sun will cause sunburn. You may see a spot of burn at the top of my picture.

I bought this pot soon after Chinese NY. The old blooms expired and even grew a new off set(plant). Their blooms can last a loooong time.

I haven't been following the proper regime. Sometimes feed it once in two weeks and the last time more than one and half month no feeding. I think the feeding break caused it to spike.

I use liquid orchid fertilizer and spray on the roots only.
0

#4 User is offline   boonboon 

  • Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 5385
  • Joined: 13-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Singapore
  • Interests:Roses, Orchids, Cacti and Succulents, Gesneriads, Fragrant Plants etc

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostChatbud, on 23 July 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

How often does this pot bloom in a year?

I got 4 pots. Dun know is it cos I put under direct sun too hot?
They grew a lot of keikis but dun want to bloom leh
How often do you pump NPK into this pot?
Looking at the foliage, this pot doesn't go under direct sun right?

If they grow a lot of keikis, it shows that you have overwatered them. The roots may have rotted. I think most of us are too excited about what fertilisers to use etc etc. Orchids will still bloom even when there is no fertilisers. I guess you might have overfertilised them thereby causing their roots to rot. Overfertilisation coupled with heat will escalate the death of its roots. As such, the orchid responds by growing keikis above the pot. If the orchid is doing well, new shoots should appear at the base of the plant and not above. Hope this helps. Happy growing. :flowers:/> Remove the orchid from its pot and inspect its roots. They might have all turned brown and not fleshy anymore.
0

#5 User is offline   Chatbud 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 598
  • Joined: 12-June 13

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:10 AM

View Postboonboon, on 23 July 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

If they grow a lot of keikis, it shows that you have overwatered them. The roots may have rotted. I think most of us are too excited about what fertilisers to use etc etc. Orchids will still bloom even when there is no fertilisers. I guess you might have overfertilised them thereby causing their roots to rot. Overfertilisation coupled with heat will escalate the death of its roots. As such, the orchid responds by growing keikis above the pot. If the orchid is doing well, new shoots should appear at the base of the plant and not above. Hope this helps. Happy growing. :flowers:/>/> Remove the orchid from its pot and inspect its roots. They might have all turned brown and not fleshy anymore.



Serious boh, boonboon?
From my observation, my dens were so dehydrated previously till the mature canes all shrivelled.
There was once the leaves started to wrinkle and droop even. The roots were crispy like biscuit.

Once I oversoaked them, and days later the mature canes became noticeably fuller the leaves became hard and sturdy.
They look much better now. The leaves all got that light green shade. Some were a bit yellowish green cos of the direct sun.
They really seem to like more water rather than less. I spray water on the roots daily and soak them in NPK every Sun.

Overwatering causing green growth and overwatering causing rootrot are different?
0

#6 User is offline   Chatbud 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 598
  • Joined: 12-June 13

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:19 AM

View Postboonboon, on 23 July 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

new shoots should appear at the base of the plant and not above.



This part - do u mean a healthy den. should have keiki appear at the bottom of the mature cane (near charcoal surface) rather than at the top of the mature cane?
0

#7 User is offline   boonboon 

  • Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 5385
  • Joined: 13-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Singapore
  • Interests:Roses, Orchids, Cacti and Succulents, Gesneriads, Fragrant Plants etc

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostChatbud, on 24 July 2013 - 12:10 AM, said:

Serious boh, boonboon?
From my observation, my dens were so dehydrated previously till the mature canes all shrivelled.
There was once the leaves started to wrinkle and droop even. The roots were crispy like biscuit.

Once I oversoaked them, and days later the mature canes became noticeably fuller the leaves became hard and sturdy.
They look much better now. The leaves all got that light green shade. Some were a bit yellowish green cos of the direct sun.
They really seem to like more water rather than less. I spray water on the roots daily and soak them in NPK every Sun.

Overwatering causing green growth and overwatering causing rootrot are different?

Yes. In general most orchids require a dry and wet cycle in order to do well. As your orchids are dehydrated previously, it pays to give them a good soak to speed up their recovery. However, once they have perked up and recovered, you should have stopped this treatment and only water them when their roots have dried out completely. Without following this regime of wet and dry cycle, the roots will rot. I would not recommend soaking them in water. Spraying is preferred. Fertilisation should be done once a fortnight or even monthly. Adequate light without leaf burns and consistent watering only when the roots are dried out completely are more important. You need to provide some shade to prevent leaf yellowing.

The surface of the charcoal may be dry. But it could still be wet internally especially after soaking on every weekends in liquid fertilisers which I think is too excessive. Orchids in their natural habit grow on tree branches and do not enjoy such luxurious treatment especially during the dry season where there is little or no rainfall.

Among the orchid genera, dendrobium prefers drier conditions than most which makes them so suitable to grow in apartments where the relative humidity is usually quite low. I used to spray them daily in the early morning under filtered sun and they grow very well. Could I check where you grow them? Near to the parapet wall or window? It is important for sunlight to shine on the base of the plant.
0

#8 User is offline   boonboon 

  • Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 5385
  • Joined: 13-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Singapore
  • Interests:Roses, Orchids, Cacti and Succulents, Gesneriads, Fragrant Plants etc

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

View PostChatbud, on 24 July 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

This part - do u mean a healthy den. should have keiki appear at the bottom of the mature cane (near charcoal surface) rather than at the top of the mature cane?

Not really. A healthy plant will produce keikis but it MUST produce offshoots at the base of the plant. If a dendrobium orchid produces only keikis and no offshoots, then it is time for inspection. In most cases, the root system has rotted. Plants grown from keikis need a few years to reach flowering size which explain why your orchid is not blooming.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users