GCS Forum: Question on EDIBLE Bananas - GCS Forum

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1

Question on EDIBLE Bananas I'm not sure where to post this... *lol*

#1 User is offline   Skechid 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 576
  • Joined: 01-June 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bt Panjang
  • Interests:Anything that's easy to grow and doesn't require CRAZY amounts of sun, water, care and can take a lil neglect. *ahem*

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

I saw some posts on edible bananas here and none of the Fruit tree forum so I thought I'd just ask here.

Can someone recommend me a suitable dwarf banana that can produce edible fruits that is small sized? Like... the smallest possible size and not difficult to find in Singapore or grow. My campus is starting a community garden and I was thinking that mulberry and bananas would provide good edibles for an average sized plot and not too difficult to grow.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
0

#2 User is offline   digitalgate 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 5356
  • Joined: 24-October 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Yaba

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

i know some community garden have them. Give me some time or you can contact the garden leader yourself. Sent me a text.
0

#3 User is offline   Abby Lim 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6061
  • Joined: 17-July 08
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Bukit Merah
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

View PostSkechid, on 17 July 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

I saw some posts on edible bananas here and none of the Fruit tree forum so I thought I'd just ask here.

Can someone recommend me a suitable dwarf banana that can produce edible fruits that is small sized? Like... the smallest possible size and not difficult to find in Singapore or grow. My campus is starting a community garden and I was thinking that mulberry and bananas would provide good edibles for an average sized plot and not too difficult to grow.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.


I have dwarf banana that produce big size banana, if you interesed can take picture to show you.
0

#4 User is offline   Skechid 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 576
  • Joined: 01-June 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bt Panjang
  • Interests:Anything that's easy to grow and doesn't require CRAZY amounts of sun, water, care and can take a lil neglect. *ahem*

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

Oh wow. Thanks guys. I'd love to see the banana you have, Abby. Are there any offshoots I could have in the future? Our community garden is only ready to view in 2 months, so I don't exactly need it now. I'd also like to have a change at your rose cuttings and maybe hydrangea cuttings. So I probably gonna try and arrange to come over to your office one of these weekends. Probably end August tho, coz I'm swamped at the moment.

Digitalgate, if you have access to community gardens, I would like to speak to someone about finding out how to concept generally works and if any of them have available herbs/spices they could share that would be great.

I plan to segregate my garden into 3 main parts... flowering plants (rose, hydrangea and maybe hibiscus, maybe 1 or 2 orchids), herbs (basils, mints, tarragon, curry leaf, aloe vera, cat whiskers) and fruits (banana, mulberry, pineapple, peppers and chilis)

Yeah, so I'm kinda excited. *lol*
0

#5 User is offline   Abby Lim 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6061
  • Joined: 17-July 08
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Bukit Merah
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

View PostSkechid, on 19 July 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

Oh wow. Thanks guys. I'd love to see the banana you have, Abby. Are there any offshoots I could have in the future? Our community garden is only ready to view in 2 months, so I don't exactly need it now. I'd also like to have a change at your rose cuttings and maybe hydrangea cuttings. So I probably gonna try and arrange to come over to your office one of these weekends. Probably end August tho, coz I'm swamped at the moment.

Digitalgate, if you have access to community gardens, I would like to speak to someone about finding out how to concept generally works and if any of them have available herbs/spices they could share that would be great.

I plan to segregate my garden into 3 main parts... flowering plants (rose, hydrangea and maybe hibiscus, maybe 1 or 2 orchids), herbs (basils, mints, tarragon, curry leaf, aloe vera, cat whiskers) and fruits (banana, mulberry, pineapple, peppers and chilis)

Yeah, so I'm kinda excited. *lol*


All depend on how big are your plot, don't get too excited, I do have banana, pineapple and mulberry waiting for you to take them away, come over to give me a helping hand to tidy up some of my plants and move some to your plot when there are ready.
0

#6 User is offline   Skechid 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 576
  • Joined: 01-June 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bt Panjang
  • Interests:Anything that's easy to grow and doesn't require CRAZY amounts of sun, water, care and can take a lil neglect. *ahem*

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

Thanks Abby. One of these days, I'll be free to come over to help you tidy, even if my plot not ready. Visiting your garden makes me happy. But I am just so swamped at the moment...SOOON!!!!
0

#7 User is offline   Laurence 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 51
  • Joined: 13-January 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Siglap
  • Interests:British Personal Trainer growing veg and herbs on my roof in singapore.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:18 PM

Can anyone tell me where I can get a banana plant from? In fact there are a few down my road which have bananas on right now. And babies by it's feet. It's just by the road
But I don't think I can dig one out! Any idea where I can get one?
0

#8 User is offline   cym. ensifolium 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 144
  • Joined: 02-July 09

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:33 AM

View PostLaurence, on 27 January 2014 - 11:18 PM, said:

Can anyone tell me where I can get a banana plant from? In fact there are a few down my road which have bananas on right now. And babies by it's feet. It's just by the road
But I don't think I can dig one out! Any idea where I can get one?



I bought an extra plant from Thong Hup, and I can sell it to you if you want it.

It's a dwarf banana plant, self collect at Yio Chu Kang area.

Eugene
0

#9 User is offline   Laurence 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 51
  • Joined: 13-January 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Siglap
  • Interests:British Personal Trainer growing veg and herbs on my roof in singapore.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for the offer. I kind neighbor gave me one, I planted a seedling into a pot for my roof garden.

It's currently in full sun all day but with protection. What is the idea amount of sun for this small seedling (which has grown two big leaves since planting)

Also do you think these pots are big enough?

https://plus.google....sts/MSmZtYD7cuQ

Or

http://instagram.com/p/lT3d0zHApo/

Thanks so much
Laurence

This post has been edited by Laurence: 09 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

0

#10 User is offline   cym. ensifolium 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 144
  • Joined: 02-July 09

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

[quote name='Laurence' timestamp='1394344060' post='362427']
Thanks for the offer. I kind neighbor gave me one, I planted a seedling into a pot for my roof garden.

It's currently in full sun all day but with protection. What is the idea amount of sun for this small seedling (which has grown two big leaves since planting)

>> I am planting my bananas under full sun, more than 6hrs of sun daily. However it is already much bigger than your pup, which would require less exposure in terms of duration and light intensity, ie some shading should be used to prevent burning. At the moment the pot is sufficient, and you should repot when the plant is 3-4feet tall. In this weather, it is important to keep your plants well hydrated.

Eugene
0

#11 User is offline   HenryH 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13
  • Joined: 23-February 17

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:15 PM

am i right to say HDB corridor is too small to rear banana plants?

View PostHenryH, on 23 February 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

am i right to say HDB corridor is too small to rear banana plants?


thinking of growing bananna plants or papaya plants, but i guess no space :(/>
0

#12 User is offline   digitalgate 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 5356
  • Joined: 24-October 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Yaba

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:06 PM

yes it is too narrow anything else.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users