GCS Forum: Which nursery has caladium bicolor? - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Which nursery has caladium bicolor?

#1 User is offline   Mikeel 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

I have been looking to buy caladium bicolor for many years. These plants are almost impossible to find in Singapore.
Why aren't they popular in Singapore? They have such beautiful and striking leaves. I am obsessed with getting them to relive my
childhood. When I was small, we kids used to pee or spit on those caladium leaves, and whatever bodily discharges that fell on them
would fall off like water off a duck's back.

Can somebody help, please! I need some caladium bicolor! :(/>

#2 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

Few months ago, Goodwood/FEF at Thomson rd have fresh stock of several ornamental varieties, however I'm not sure how are their stocks recently. The common feral ones are growing well recently due to rains.I thought I saw a few. They are sometimes dormant.

This post has been edited by AhSeng: 27 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

#3 User is offline   Mikeel 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

View PostAhSeng, on 27 February 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

Few months ago, Goodwood/FEF at Thomson rd have fresh stock of several ornamental varieties, however I'm not sure how are their stocks recently. The common feral ones are growing well recently due to rains.I thought I saw a few. They are sometimes dormant.

Thanks for the info.
Tried calling their online-listed no...they don't seem to answer calls?
I've been asking my florist at the market to be on the the lookout for caladium bicolor when she makes her regular rounds at the nursery,
and that if have 'sapu' all for me, but she says very hard to find. :(/> Sigh.

#4 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Which area you are at ? Any varieties are you looking for ? Anybody else have ?

#5 User is offline   Mikeel 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

http://http://www.sc...%20bicolor2.jpg

View PostAhSeng, on 04 March 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

Which area you are at ? Any varieties are you looking for ? Anybody else have ?

Just got thru and spoke with a staff of FEF. Currently no stocks. They told me to call back after Thurs for new stocks. Will surely do just that!

The one I am looking for is variegated with red and white spots as shown in the above link. I believe they have it in the Malaysian nurseries.
I grew up in a Malaysian kampung where this variety were once upon a time, planted by the British around their abandoned estate, and man, they were growing like weeds!
Nowadays, I rarely see this variety in Singapore. They are so rare that lately, I've also been looking at getting plastic ones.
Bo hu, hei pun ho! :wub:/>/>/> So I went to the plastic flower shop at the StarVista atrium sale, and guess what? Even artificial caladiums cannot find. Seriously!

This post has been edited by Mikeel: 05 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

#6 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

yes, singapore lesser of these plants. I still see them at some places and some community gardens may grow it. This plant sap is very itchy. I've two pictures . 2nd plant has no red in the center, or maybe a bit. There are a few other common types.

http://i48.tinypic.com/11lh66t.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/sdok21.jpg

#7 User is offline   Mikeel 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostAhSeng, on 04 March 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

yes, singapore lesser of these plants. I still see them at some places and some community gardens may grow it. This plant sap is very itchy. I've two pictures . 2nd plant has no red in the center, or maybe a bit. There are a few other common types.

http://i48.tinypic.com/11lh66t.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/sdok21.jpg

Yes! That's the one I am looking for, the 1st one. You grow them? Can sell? :lol:/>
And yes, I did see them in Singapore, but most nurseries don't seem to carry them. Think they need to be specially ordered.
Few years back, they were planted part of a landscape just outside the Clinical Research Centre near NUH, but they were unfortunately bulldozed away to make way for the
Centre for Translational Research. Damn! I should have asked the construction worker or the garderner to dig some out for me.
I have also seen a nice bunch thriving near a plaza carpark (don't know the name) at Clementi West Coast that houses Jack's Place. As you drive out from the car park, you could see them on the left.
That was years back.. don't know if they are still there.
I think I will try to ask FEF or some other nursery to see if they could order few pots for me.

#8 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

I've pm you.$$

#9 User is offline   Mikeel 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

For any looking for caladium bicolor...
I just spoke to the guys at World Farm, Yishun
They said they do have stocks for caladium bicolor.

Man, this nursery sprawls with plants!
Must go there!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users