GCS Forum: Dicliptera chinensis - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Dicliptera chinensis A vegetable (or not)?

#1 User is offline   Leo_Breman 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Hello,
I am a plant lover and nurseryman in the Netherlands, and do botanical/horticultural research as a hobby. I am hoping people here may be able to help me answering some questions regarding two of the subjects I have been working on.

This question is regarding the species Dicliptera chinensis. I understand that it is also marketed as a medicinal herb by Chinese companies in SE Asia, but my question is mainly culinary. Is it eaten as a pot herb/vegetable at all in Singapore? Is it eaten cooked or raw? In this case it has been approved for use as food in Europe, on the basis of it having been eaten on Java in the 1920-30s (single source in PROSEA). So I have been systematically looking at each country in SE Asia where it is native, looking for better information on use as a vegetable by searching for it using the local name + 'recipe'/'food'/'cooking' in the local languages, and have found very little (rarely eaten in soup in Vietnam, drunk as tea in the city of Pontianak).

http://s7.postimage.org/plc3dfzon/IMG_0303.jpg

Thank you very much for your time, I hope members of the forum can help, or can redirect me elsewhere.

Friendly regards,
Leo Breman.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users