Page 1 of 1

Vanilla plants at Ang Mo Kio!

#1 User is offline   Clickclock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:aromatic plants, watermelons

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

Hey guys, i had always wanted to own a vanilla plant at my house and my dream finally came true today, initially wanted to buy potting charcoal for my orchids but I bumped into a nice array of vanilla plants, 4/5 pots at Ang mo kio plant centre!

The nursery is next to the Ang Mo Kio public library along AMK ave 6.
I've frequent myself there as the spread is just awesome.

here's a pic.
http://i46.tinypic.com/14kec6s.jpg

None of them are in blooming maturity yet.. i think. the blooms last for a day by the way

They're having a year end sale, so its at $12.50, down from $25.
When i left, only 4/5 pots remain, they're pretty bulky so you guys might want transportation.

well, this is not advertising, I am just a happy customer and I do know that vanilla plants are rather rather to find in singapore nurseries, thought that you guys might love the mention of it! =D

I really love Vanilla, the smell of it is so sweet, stronger than jasmine and as sweet.

This post has been edited by Clickclock: 13 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

#2 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

View PostClickclock, on 12 December 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

Hey guys, i had always wanted to own a vanilla plant at my house and my dream finally came true today, initially wanted to buy potting charcoal for my orchids but I bumped into a nice array of vanilla plants, 4/5 pots at Ang mo kio plant centre!

The nursery is next to the Ang Mo Kio public library along AMK ave 6.
I've frequent myself there as the spread is just awesome.

here's a pic.
http://i46.tinypic.com/14kec6s.jpg

None of them are in blooming maturity yet.. i think. the blooms last for a day by the way

They're having a year end sale, so its at $12.50, down from $25.
When i left, only 4/5 pots remain, they're pretty bulky so you guys might want transportation.

well, this is not advertising, I am just a happy customer and I do know that vanilla plants are rather rather to find in singapore nurseries, thought that you guys might love the mention of it! =D

I really love Vanilla, the smell of it is so sweet, stronger than jasmine and as sweet.

You may be very disappointed, it may just own a evergreen plant known as Vanilla and hard to see the bloom and due to no nature pollinator, you have to try hand pollination if it ever bloom for you, some thread here ever discuss b4.

#3 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

Maybe clickclock can do a better job than others, eh? I hope yours grow into a beautiful plant.

Ang Mo Kio nursery; they should be having sales all year round. Just why you may ask. Their prices are always marked up so high they could afford to have sales at normal prices!

I once wanted to buy an adenium at $28. The sales woman there told me it's a mistake and wanted $70 for it! I looked there were no $70 plant on sale there! She marked up the price right there at the counter! And the plant I took amongst other $28 plants there. Plants that size I can get for $15 elsewher. I only wanted that plant because I didn't have that colour.

By the way she's the one wearing spectacles. Face looked like the world and everyone is a problem.

#4 User is offline   falterego 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Trying to grow anything I'm not supposed to in the tropics.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

View PostGreyfingers, on 15 December 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

By the way she's the one wearing spectacles. Face looked like the world and everyone is a problem.

Oh my goodness YES. I went there the other day and asked her a few questions regarding the items I wanted to buy. I've already put it on the counter but she was so rude to me that I told her to forget it and I walked out. That can't be how anyone runs a business.

As for the vanilla plants, my neighbour has it and it seems to require a lot of space. He has his growing on the fence (on a landed property) and it has stretched for 5 metres and it says it grows for another 5 before even flowering. Do keep us posted on how it does though, vanilla pods are so expensive!

#5 User is offline   lavendergarden 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Associate Member
  • Interests:Lover of Lavenders. Huge Country Music Fan. Endorphin Junkie.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

Vanilla pods can be bought off ebay cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item35baaaaa06

#6 User is offline   Clickclock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostAbby Lim, on 15 December 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

You may be very disappointed, it may just own a evergreen plant known as Vanilla and hard to see the bloom and due to no nature pollinator, you have to try hand pollination if it ever bloom for you, some thread here ever discuss b4.

I don't get what you are trying to say to me,
sure, it has no natural pollinator, but that does not mean it can't bloom, blooming has nothing to do with natural pollinators.
The only thing I know that can result from the absence of natural pollinators is the low chance of a pod forming from a fertilized flower.
and yes, I will do hand pollination, its no big a deal.

By the way, from the looks of that short, grumpy looking woman with glasses, I have met her several times, I sorta knew how her personality his going to be like, so I simply bought things from her with minimal conversations and I'll keep my questions to myself and I'll google them when I get home.

After all, its the vanilla plant that I wanted, bloom or no bloom, fruit or no fruit, grumpy lady or not, its the plant that I treasure and see the beauty of it being a vanilla plant, i've always wanted to have one.

#7 User is offline   Clickclock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

View Postfalterego, on 15 December 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

Oh my goodness YES. I went there the other day and asked her a few questions regarding the items I wanted to buy. I've already put it on the counter but she was so rude to me that I told her to forget it and I walked out. That can't be how anyone runs a business.

As for the vanilla plants, my neighbour has it and it seems to require a lot of space. He has his growing on the fence (on a landed property) and it has stretched for 5 metres and it says it grows for another 5 before even flowering. Do keep us posted on how it does though, vanilla pods are so expensive!

The plant that I got, as seen from the pic is grown to twirl around a wire/cane cage set-up, so I reckon the vanilla plant is about 2.8-3 meters in length, if stretched out, should be alright. And yes, I will keep you people posted on the flowers, if they bloom at all.

#8 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

View PostClickclock, on 15 December 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

I don't get what you are trying to say to me,
sure, it has no natural pollinator, but that does not mean it can't bloom, blooming has nothing to do with natural pollinators.
The only thing I know that can result from the absence of natural pollinators is the low chance of a pod forming from a fertilized flower.
and yes, I will do hand pollination, its no big a deal.

By the way, from the looks of that short, grumpy looking woman with glasses, I have met her several times, I sorta knew how her personality his going to be like, so I simply bought things from her with minimal conversations and I'll keep my questions to myself and I'll google them when I get home.

After all, its the vanilla plant that I wanted, bloom or no bloom, fruit or no fruit, grumpy lady or not, its the plant that I treasure and see the beauty of it being a vanilla plant, i've always wanted to have one.

Sorry to have my feedback, I am upset because my plant already 2 storey tall and very beautiful, no bloom yet, like what you say, just enjoy it, as it up on a palm tree, it just all the way Z up there.

If you like to have a variegated one, I can spare you a cutting.

#9 User is offline   khamsulv 

• Pip

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

View PostAbby Lim, on 16 December 2012 - 12:36 AM, said:

Sorry to have my feedback, I am upset because my plant already 2 storey tall and very beautiful, no bloom yet, like what you say, just enjoy it, as it up on a palm tree, it just all the way Z up there.

If you like to have a variegated one, I can spare you a cutting.

Why do they call it a vanila plant? It looks green.

#10 User is offline   Skechid 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that's easy to grow and doesn't require CRAZY amounts of sun, water, care and can take a lil neglect. *ahem*

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

Vanilla, the flavoring, comes from that plant. It's a type of Orchid. So the plant itself is a vine, as you can see, then when it flowers and POSSIBLY puts out seed pods, the seed pods are smoked and dried. The seeds... are your vanilla. That's why they are called Vanilla plant.

#11 User is offline   Peterfarmer 

• Pip

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:20 AM

Hi to All,

I ma looking for vanilla plants for my garden. Please advise where I can get them. Thank you! Also happy to get or buy cuttings from any member.

Peter

This post has been edited by Peterfarmer: 22 April 2018 - 10:21 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users