Page 1 of 1

Arundina graminifolia (Bamboo Orchid)

#1 User is offline   Orchidlover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hello

Anyone here grow Arundina graminifolia (Bamboo Orchid)??

I had seen some selling at one of the nurseries at Kovan area.....flower at the height of around 50cm tall

Can share the experience of growing them? Are they frequent bloomers? How long can the flowers last? (1 week)?

#2 User is offline   Ben Naden 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Orchids, Birds, Dogs, Scuba diving, photography

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Arundina requires the following:

1. Full sun. It flowers less if there is not enough sun. The plant also is slow to grow as a result.
2. It can grow in just about any mixed soil. I pot them in those $2 bag of soil and they are happy.
3. It likes daily watering so monitor the soil to make sure it does not dry out. Too little watering will lead to yellowing of the leaves and they drop quickly.
4. They like the same fertilising regime as my Vandas, meaning alternate weeks of Gaviota 63 and 67 ferts.

Arundinas are free flowering but the flowers don't last beyond a couple of days.

They also reproduce thru keikis which I would pluck off the mother plant and stick them in a pot of fresh soil. There are many varieties of Arundina gramminifolia and they vary in size of the plant/flower, flower color and patterns. Hope this helps.

View PostOrchidlover, on 18 November 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

Hello

Anyone here grow Arundina graminifolia (Bamboo Orchid)??

I had seen some selling at one of the nurseries at Kovan area.....flower at the height of around 50cm tall

Can share the experience of growing them? Are they frequent bloomers? How long can the flowers last? (1 week)?

#3 User is offline   lucas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:CPs

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

As Ben Naden said,it likes full sun, and as long as you fulfil that and you are careful with the watering it is actually quite fuss free and will flower readily. Mine flowered without any fertiliser at all, but i find that it needs to grow to a rather sizeable clump before it will start flowering.You can also propogate it by splitting the clump of pseudobulbs.

#4 User is offline   Orchidlover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

Hello

It means the Arundina graminifolia needs at least 6 hours of undisturbed light in order to do well

#5 User is offline   Orchidlover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostOrchidlover, on 20 November 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

Hello

It means the Arundina graminifolia needs at least 6 hours of undisturbed light in order to do well

Another question is: Can the flower spike of the Arundina graminifolia be cut off after all the flowers had wildered?

#6 User is offline   Ben Naden 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Orchids, Birds, Dogs, Scuba diving, photography

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

I would cut off the flower bract after it has withered as it turns black and looks really ugly. Trimming the end tend to induce keikis as well.

View PostOrchidlover, on 20 November 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

Another question is: Can the flower spike of the Arundina graminifolia be cut off after all the flowers had wildered?

#7 User is offline   lucas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:CPs

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

View PostOrchidlover, on 20 November 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

Hello

In my case 4 hours of direct morning light with indirect light for the rest of the day was sufficient.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users