GCS Forum: Proper gating stem cutting of fittonia - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Proper gating stem cutting of fittonia

#1 User is offline   Sherlyn 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

Hi,

I took a stem cutting from the main plant for propagation. The original plant just sprout new leaves at the top. After locking it up in ziplock bag for around 3 weeks, there are new plants from near bottom of stems (where leaves previously dropped). But when I take out from ziplock bag. The leaves wilt again. Any advise?

Many thanks
Sherlyn

#2 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

You'll need to acclimatize them slowly. Open just a tiny bit and then increase the gap every few days, slowly. Should be acclimatized in a week or two.

But fittonias root easily by cuttings in open air. So you don't actually need to place them in a bag.

Sky

#3 User is offline   Sherlyn 

• Pip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

Dear sky,

Ic. Will try that.
I also think they can do without bag but they get softer n softer so I worried n google around for solution. Of cos, the solution said after 1-2 weeks shd be fine. And that new growth means rooting ok so I thought I can transfer them out of bag. They proved me wrong so I seek help here.

Thks. Will try climatize them this way to see the outcome.

Sherlyn

View Postskyfiery, on 02 November 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

You'll need to acclimatize them slowly. Open just a tiny bit and then increase the gap every few days, slowly. Should be acclimatized in a week or two.

But fittonias root easily by cuttings in open air. So you don't actually need to place them in a bag.

Sky

#4 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

Is it? I've used fittonias for ages and I usually just cut the stem, plonk into the soil, and keep it in a shaded area. After a few days to a week, the cutting roots...

Hope yours acclimatize then.

Sky

#5 User is offline   Skechid 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that's easy to grow and doesn't require CRAZY amounts of sun, water, care and can take a lil neglect. *ahem*

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Also... whenever I do cuttings, I generally remove some of the leaves so as to reduce moisture loss. Fittonia cuttings really root easily tho... so... yeah... just cut and plonk in soil should be ok. They might look a bit sad the first few days, but they'll come back to life as long as you keep the soil somewhat moist. (NOT WET)

#6 User is offline   BMB Albert 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

Fittonia can also be propagated by leaf cuttings. Put leaf in soil and bb will be out in about 4 weeks time.
Snail is the worst pest which destroys this beautiful plant.

#7 User is offline   weonlycut 

• Pip

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Fittonias are easily rooted from tip cuttings with roots appearing in 1-2 weeks and cuttings well rooted by 3-4 weeks.

#8 User is offline   Opus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Houseplants, pet birds, carp (koi) fish

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for all replies regarding tips on Fittonia propagation.
I am planning to propagate my Fittonias by tip cuttings very soon. I just bought 3-4 small pots last month and they thrive well so far.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users