GCS Forum: Need diagnosis for my rabbit's foot and pteris - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Need diagnosis for my rabbit's foot and pteris They are getting smaller and smaller! Help!

#1 User is offline   fattlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

Hi hi. I love plants. I have them every corner of my apartment as long as there's light. I bought a mini pot of rabbit's foot from World Farm almost a year ago. It was so cute. I put it in a white decorative pot to go with the ID of my place. I water once a week, let the excess drain off and made sure the sphagnum moss medium is moist but not soaking wet. I feed with fertilizer sparingly with Osmocote. The location of this is on my window ledge that is bright but not harsh light throughout the day, meaning that the shadow cast is fuzzy and not hard edged. Please see the picture of my rabbit's foot a year ago and now. It is so sad looking now!
Before: http://www.flickr.co...N08/8011388570/
After: http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

The same thing happened to my pteris fern. Not as lush as before.
http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Are my plants sick? Any advice?

#2 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

I have not much experience in ferns. But they keep growing well and wild at my place.

What I would do is to change the media to something that allows you to water everyday and you have to put them in the sun. Use any type of foliage fertilizer will do.

#3 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

The plant will need more water .

#4 User is offline   myherb 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Herbs, fragrant plants, jewel orchids, ferns-platycerium.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

I'll used fern root and zero osmocote for small fern like these.

#5 User is offline   fattlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

View Postdigitalgate, on 22 September 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

The plant will need more water .

More water? Ok. Maybe I increase the watering frequency to twice a week. Thanks!

View Postmyherb, on 22 September 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

I'll used fern root and zero osmocote for small fern like these.

Hi. What is fern root? Where to get them?

#6 User is offline   fattlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostGreyfingers, on 22 September 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

I have not much experience in ferns. But they keep growing well and wild at my place.

What I would do is to change the media to something that allows you to water everyday and you have to put them in the sun. Use any type of foliage fertilizer will do.

The ferns on my flower bed in my balcony is big and wild. But the miniature ones in the pot not doing so well. Maybe I increase fertilizing. I have liquid foliage fertilizer and increase watering as digital gate diagnosed that my ferns not enough water.
Btw, will potted plants eventually grow smaller and smaller as they age? Asking this on behalf of my friend. Her heliconia used to be lush and free flowering. Now what is left are small little babies only.

This post has been edited by fattlady: 22 September 2012 - 11:17 PM

#7 User is offline   myherb 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

View Postfattlady, on 22 September 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

More water? Ok. Maybe I increase the watering frequency to twice a week. Thanks!

Hi. What is fern root? Where to get them?

you can use those fern root slabs, chop it into smaller pieces and a bit of soil, the drainage be excellent. There are not much nutrient in sphagnum moss and because it absorb water well it is not a good idea (for ferns) to have fertitizer there. I see some burnt leafs in your pictures. Most fern can't handle fertilizer well. You know all those tree ferns you see on the way up to Cameron Highland... Most nurseries would dearly love to have the stem (fern root). They are filled with nutrients for growing young plants. That is also the reason the tree fern are protected. :)/>
oh! most fern loves shade. (less sun)

This post has been edited by myherb: 23 September 2012 - 01:39 AM

#8 User is offline   myherb 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

View Postmyherb, on 22 September 2012 - 11:58 PM, said:

you can use those fern root slabs, chop it into smaller pieces and a bit of soil, the drainage be excellent. There are not much nutrient in sphagnum moss and because it absorb water well it is not a good idea (for ferns) to have fertitizer there. I see some burnt leafs in your pictures. Most fern can't handle fertilizer well. You know all those tree ferns you see on the way up to Cameron Highland... Most nurseries would dearly love to have the stem (fern root). They are filled with nutrients for growing young plants. That is also the reason the tree fern are protected. :)/>

In certain packs of Osmocote there are quick releasing fertilizer added. For all ferns, discard the white colored ones you see in this picture.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee30/adfoo/plants/P1010885a_zps78cbc5f4.jpg

#9 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

Those white pellets are added for flowering. I'm not sure if they are fast release. But I believe Osmocote won't give you something that's fast release and claim their fertilizer to be slow release.

Each heliconia plant flower only once. Thereafter it will die back. Ask your friend to spruce up the young plants for the next generation of flowers.

This post has been edited by Greyfingers: 23 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

#10 User is offline   myherb 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostGreyfingers, on 23 September 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

Those white pellets are added for flowering. I'm not sure if they are fast release. But I believe Osmocote won't give you something that's fast release and claim their fertilizer to be slow release.

Each heliconia plant flower only once. Thereafter it will die back. Ask your friend to spruce up the young plants for the next generation of flowers.

Osmocote can be use for a lot of flowering plants too.

#11 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

rabbit foot and pteris need daily watering. They like water so usually cannot suffer from root rot

This post has been edited by digitalgate: 23 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

#12 User is offline   fattlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

View Postmyherb, on 22 September 2012 - 11:58 PM, said:

OIC!!! Ok will go chop some slabs. Just curious, will chopped pine bark give the same kind of natural nutrients? Asking because I have some leftover which I bought to pot orchids.

#13 User is offline   fattlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

View PostGreyfingers, on 23 September 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

Ohhh! Each heliconia plant flower only once!. Means the big parent plant died of old age already is it? Ok, I will pass the info to my friend and ask her to sayang the baby plants for the next generation of flowers. Thanks!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users