http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r580/robbrobbins/98f4684f.jpg

This post has been edited by Dude: 24 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

#2 User is offline   Daddel 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Plants, photography, travel

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

Very nice ... plant tanks were really popular few years back especially amano style of aquascaping.

#3 User is offline   Dude 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

Thanks, Daddel. Within recent years, planted tanks have become very popular in the 'states' (lighting technology has greatly improved, CO2 set-ups have become affordable, and Florida's aquatic nurseries are now raising many plants - that were once considered rare and expensive - selling them at reasonable prices). Amano's style of aquascaping was also very popular here, and still has a large following. A lot of people are shifting back to more of a 'Dutch' style approach, along with a trend toward creating natural bio-tope scapes. Freshwater shrimp seem to be the present fad.

#4 User is offline   hotsummer 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Very beautiful,You should spend a lot of thought.

#5 User is offline   Dude 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for your compliment, hotsummer! I was sort of laughing (in a good way) about your quote "spend a lot of thought". In today's tight economy, thinking & thought is still free, hey? Kind of ironic: as I was reading your post, my stereo was playing a Moody Blues song in the background... part of the lyrics in the song ~ "thinking is the best way to travel". I like your screen name by the way.

#6 User is offline   shirleycox 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, Reading Books, Shopping and Cooking

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

Very nice.. you have a wonderful collection. I love the Pogostemon erectus, looks awesome. Pogostemon erectus has found a place in many aquariums over the last several years. It is superficially similar to R. verticillaris and some forms of Rotala mexicana, but can be distinguished as a submersed plant in part by its more vertical growth and somewhat larger size.

#7 User is offline   Dude 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:05 AM

Thanks, Shirley. The nice green color of P. erectus, and the way it grows vertically with its pine-needle looking leaves, has always intrigued me. Some of the whorls on this plant get about 6" around. You are definitely 'right on the mark' (along with being very knowledgeable about the subject)... Pogostemon erectus was once confused with Rotala verticillaris (similar appearance), but is somewhat larger in submerged size. Distinguishing between the two was partly due to natural habitat locations (I think either SE Sir Lanka or SW India). Pogostemon erectus does very well with good light, CO2, and water column fertilizers. Another very nice species of Pogostemon (worth checking out) is 'yatabeanus'. A very beautiful light green vertically growing stem that really does well once established.

#8 User is offline   shirleycox 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, Reading Books, Shopping and Cooking

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

P. yatabeanus looks beautiful with red stem and green leaves, it is the fastest growing plant, its young stems stay slender with narrower leaves and the older ones grow quite thick, with leaves that become longer and fatter. It is not recommended for small tank but will do good in a larger tank. Limnophilia, aromatica, pogostemon stellatus will be a perfect companinon for yatabeanus.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users