GCS Forum: Calanthe species in flower - GCS Forum

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1

Calanthe species in flower

#1 User is offline   Ben Naden 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 469
  • Joined: 23-February 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northvale Condominium, Choa Chu Kang
  • Interests:Orchids, Birds, Dogs, Scuba diving, photography

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:01 AM

A Calanthe species that is so hard to flower for me. Sometimes once or twice a year and on some years absolutely nothing at all. Boo!

Calanthe rubens
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7262/7788161458_b38077b6b3.jpg


http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8440/7746594772_c2f00d520b.jpg

0

#2 User is offline   Il Pirata 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 957
  • Joined: 19-December 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North
  • Interests:Low Maintenance plants which do well in a very limited space on a HDB corridor that receives seasonal sunlight

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

This is great. But doesn't calanthe rubens go dormant in SG?
I've been looking for the evergreen calanthe sylvatica and calanthe triplicata for a long time already.... :(/>

View PostBen Naden, on 16 August 2012 - 12:01 AM, said:

A Calanthe species that is so hard to flower for me. Sometimes once or twice a year and on some years absolutely nothing at all. Boo!

Calanthe rubens
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7262/7788161458_b38077b6b3.jpg


http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8440/7746594772_c2f00d520b.jpg

0

#3 User is offline   Ben Naden 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 469
  • Joined: 23-February 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northvale Condominium, Choa Chu Kang
  • Interests:Orchids, Birds, Dogs, Scuba diving, photography

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Not sure what you mean by dormant, but this plant is deciduous and sheds its leaves before spiking. After which it goes thru a 2 month siesta before spouting a new leaf shoot. I can get it to flower about twice a year max which is already an achievement for me. :)/>

View PostIl Pirata, on 16 August 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

This is great. But doesn't calanthe rubens go dormant in SG?
I've been looking for the evergreen calanthe sylvatica and calanthe triplicata for a long time already.... :(/>






0

#4 User is offline   Il Pirata 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 957
  • Joined: 19-December 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North
  • Interests:Low Maintenance plants which do well in a very limited space on a HDB corridor that receives seasonal sunlight

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

View PostBen Naden, on 16 August 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

Not sure what you mean by dormant, but this plant is deciduous and sheds its leaves before spiking. After which it goes thru a 2 month siesta before spouting a new leaf shoot. I can get it to flower about twice a year max which is already an achievement for me. :)/>



dormant = 2 month siesta.... :)/>
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users