GCS Forum: new SGF acquisitions - GCS Forum

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1

new SGF acquisitions Kobsukh's heat tolerant cymbidiums

#1 User is offline   dinosaurr 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 592
  • Joined: 17-October 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:West

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hi all,

I just got 3 of Kobsukh's lovely cyms.

Grcym Indrajit
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7122/7547596764_eb44aea525.jpg

Cym Little Black Sambo 'Black Magic'
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7119/7547595936_22881486a5.jpg

Cym atropurpureum
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7247/7547594906_5e890ec5ef.jpg

any suggestions on how to pot up the ones that are currently dry-rooted?
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7129/7547595532_1455fe3b3d.jpg

TIA :flowers:/>
0

#2 User is offline   Skechid 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 580
  • Joined: 01-June 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bt Panjang
  • Interests:Anything that's easy to grow and doesn't require CRAZY amounts of sun, water, care and can take a lil neglect. *ahem*

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Oooo I think I was at the stall when you bought them. *lol*
0

#3 User is offline   dinosaurr 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 592
  • Joined: 17-October 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:West

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

View PostSkechid, on 11 July 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

Oooo I think I was at the stall when you bought them. *lol*




oooo ahhah hello! :welcome:/> :flowers:/>
0

#4 User is offline   boonboon 

  • Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 5385
  • Joined: 13-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Singapore
  • Interests:Roses, Orchids, Cacti and Succulents, Gesneriads, Fragrant Plants etc

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

Hi Diana, your plants are so very healthy. Pot them in clay aggregates in the picture below in tall pots. Put them under filtered sun and slowly more sun. I have amended your title a little so that that Kobsukh can comment on their specific requirements. :flowers:/> I find that they look nice even without flowers. :closedeyes:/>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/boonboon0406/Clayaggregate01.jpg
0

#5 User is offline   hohcs 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 74
  • Joined: 06-September 08
  • Gender:Male

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:30 AM

View Postboonboon, on 11 July 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

Hi Diana, your plants are so very healthy. Pot them in clay aggregates in the picture below in tall pots. Put them under filtered sun and slowly more sun. I have amended your title a little so that that Kobsukh can comment on their specific requirements. :flowers:/> I find that they look nice even without flowers. :closedeyes:/>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/boonboon0406/Clayaggregate01.jpg


Hey friends,

Do these need full sun? Will balcony growing supplemented with T5 lights work?

Chung Shih
0

#6 User is offline   boonboon 

  • Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 5385
  • Joined: 13-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Singapore
  • Interests:Roses, Orchids, Cacti and Succulents, Gesneriads, Fragrant Plants etc

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

View Posthohcs, on 12 July 2012 - 07:30 AM, said:

Do these need full sun? Will balcony growing supplemented with T5 lights work?

How many hours of direct sun does your balcony have? Mine receives morning sun from 7-12pm and so far so good.
0

#7 User is offline   dinosaurr 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 592
  • Joined: 17-October 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:West

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

View Postboonboon, on 11 July 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

Hi Diana, your plants are so very healthy. Pot them in clay aggregates in the picture below in tall pots. Put them under filtered sun and slowly more sun. I have amended your title a little so that that Kobsukh can comment on their specific requirements. :flowers:/> I find that they look nice even without flowers. :closedeyes:/>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/boonboon0406/Clayaggregate01.jpg


Thanks Boon for editing the title! I think I have a lot of potting to do this weekend!

here are 2 pics of Kobsukh's Pakkret Horizon (need to check label!) which bloomed in Feb 2012. I got it at WOC 2011.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7114/7553801066_5757e1a952.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8006/7553800672_4dbcf33aef.jpg
0

#8 User is offline   cym. ensifolium 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 144
  • Joined: 02-July 09

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

View Postdinosaurr, on 12 July 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

Thanks Boon for editing the title! I think I have a lot of potting to do this weekend!

here are 2 pics of Kobsukh's Pakkret Horizon (need to check label!) which bloomed in Feb 2012. I got it at WOC 2011.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7114/7553801066_5757e1a952.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8006/7553800672_4dbcf33aef.jpg



thats an awesome bloom you have there! gives me confidence that the plants I bought from Kobsukh will bloom here!
It looks like Cym Udaigiri which is pendulous with deep crimson and yellow lining than pakkret adventure which has a yellow base.
0

#9 User is offline   dinosaurr 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 592
  • Joined: 17-October 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:West

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

View Postcym. ensifolium, on 12 July 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

thats an awesome bloom you have there! gives me confidence that the plants I bought from Kobsukh will bloom here!
It looks like Cym Udaigiri which is pendulous with deep crimson and yellow lining than pakkret adventure which has a yellow base.


aaaaaa you are absolutely right! :hitmyself:/> :hitmyself:/> it IS the Cymbidium Udaigiri that i got! :blush:/>
i definitely have been neglecting them since i forgot their names! all are currently in 'growth' phase now!
0

#10 User is offline   dinosaurr 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 592
  • Joined: 17-October 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:West

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hi Kobsukh,

I've potted the plants I got from you. Here they are
Just sharing my potting process...

Potting Cym Indrajit in a tall pot:
The pot, inner pot and mesh.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8018/7566420546_bc54f43739.jpg

block the hole so that creepy crawlies do not make this their home
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8007/7566421114_348b95b827.jpg

I placed a black basket over the hole to increase aeration at the root area. err- found this tip on some taiwanese website and since my chinese is so bad- i just looked at the pictures.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8293/7566421626_13caba4abf.jpg

cymbidium potting media
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7136/7566422366_801c830da8.jpg

fill with potting media -yup some of the smaller pieces fell thru.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7277/7566422942_2b634bb6a2.jpg

place the orchid in when the black basket is covered. I also placed a support wire in the pot.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8286/7566423658_9d7abf69d9.jpg

trying to poke the media in between the roots...
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7125/7566424356_80a959b1f9.jpg

fill up with media up to the part where the roots meet the plant. (not shown, tying the plant to wire support)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8156/7566425144_1b69c676c5.jpg


These are the other 2 that I potted in squat pots according to your advice. Thanks!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8151/7573303014_97cabf56dd.jpg http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8018/7573315720_64e2741858.jpg
0

#11 User is offline   boonboon 

  • Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 5385
  • Joined: 13-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Singapore
  • Interests:Roses, Orchids, Cacti and Succulents, Gesneriads, Fragrant Plants etc

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

Learn something new today. Upright inflorescence pot in tall pots. Pendulous one in squat pots? Diana, am I right? :blush:/>
0

#12 User is offline   dinosaurr 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 592
  • Joined: 17-October 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:West

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

View Postboonboon, on 15 July 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Learn something new today. Upright inflorescence pot in tall pots. Pendulous one in squat pots? Diana, am I right? :blush:/>


ummmmm..... Kobsukh told me to pot it like that :P/> i'm figuring that the roots needed to breathe for the dark red ones, cos the cym udaigiri is the same - potted in a squat pot- altho i should repot - since i potted it in plastic (all i had then!). BTW, FEF, Pioneer AND WF are out of orchid pots (the ones with perforated holes). Apparently the Malaysian suppliers raised prices. So they are sourcing from Thailand. Stocks expected to be in in 2 weeks time.

In the mean time (wicked laughter) i found out where to get them! (haahaaa!)
0

#13 User is offline   crazyjellie 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2614
  • Joined: 31-October 06

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

hi dinosaurr,

that's a very pretty tall pot you had there
where did you get it from? how much is it?

where did you get the pumice stone from?
may need to get more
0

#14 User is offline   dinosaurr 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 592
  • Joined: 17-October 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:West

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

View Postcrazyjellie, on 16 July 2012 - 08:29 AM, said:

hi dinosaurr,

that's a very pretty tall pot you had there
where did you get it from? how much is it?

where did you get the pumice stone from?
may need to get more



I got the pot at Ji Mei (not cheap at $21 or $22?) It was awfully hard to find a proper cym pot and I got an ordinary tall terracotta initially before finding this.
The pumice rocks - I saw some at World Farm. For the bag in the pic- i got it some time ago- can't recall exactly where but I suspect at World Farm.
0

#15 User is offline   cp 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 26
  • Joined: 23-June 05
  • Location:Singapore

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hi dinosaurr,

Do you mind sharing where you got the orchid pots (the ones with perforated holes)? I am looking for the black color square/cubical pot with perforated holes.

Thanks,
cp


0

#16 User is offline   dinosaurr 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 592
  • Joined: 17-October 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:West

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

View Postcp, on 16 July 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

Hi dinosaurr,

Do you mind sharing where you got the orchid pots (the ones with perforated holes)? I am looking for the black color square/cubical pot with perforated holes.

Thanks,
cp

Hi CP,

no probs.
the plastic black baskets (of different sizes) are available at World Farm (Bah Soon Pah area)
tall dark brown terracotta cym pot from Ji Mei (thomson area)
regular terracotta orchid pots with holes on the side from Ji Mei (FEF, WF, Pioneer are out of stock)
0

#17 User is offline   cp 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 26
  • Joined: 23-June 05
  • Location:Singapore

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

Thanks:)

View Postdinosaurr, on 16 July 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

Hi CP,

no probs.
the plastic black baskets (of different sizes) are available at World Farm (Bah Soon Pah area)
tall dark brown terracotta cym pot from Ji Mei (thomson area)
regular terracotta orchid pots with holes on the side from Ji Mei (FEF, WF, Pioneer are out of stock)

0

#18 User is offline   crazyjellie 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2614
  • Joined: 31-October 06

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

Thanks dinosaurr
that's a pretty blooming red cym you have there :flowers:/>
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users