• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what is moringa

#1 User is offline   king 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

Moringa is an amazing plant. A Moringa leaf contains 7 times the vitamin C in oranges and 4 times the calcium in milk and 4 times the vitamin A in carrots and two times the protein in milk and 3 times the potassium in bananas. So it so good plant on the earth also we can say it is the gift of god. And other major elements which cause the deterioration or destruction are oxygen and light. However other is you have any confusion about it what is moringa go one time in above site and read the product of moringa, article of moringa and more.......
Thank You.http://www.treesforlife.org/sites/default/files/images/Moringa-diagram.jpg

#2 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:00 AM

Where can I get this plant?

#3 Guestlewis williams_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Moringa is a plant which is derived from Tamil word Murungai.
It contains species from both tropical and subtropical climates.

#4 User is offline   gdns4dummies 

• PipPip

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

Poison Ivy @ Bollywood serves moringa leaves tempura the last time I was there... quite yummy!

#5 User is offline   Skechid 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that's easy to grow and doesn't require CRAZY amounts of sun, water, care and can take a lil neglect. *ahem*

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

Isn't it that drumstick bean thing that features prominently in Indian dishes? I remember I ate it for the first time, skin and all and wondered why the people there served such overripe long beans. It was quite strange.

#6 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

I've eaten the leaves both raw and cooked and tasted quite good. The fruits or seed pods are also very tasty when cooked. But the seeds are not to be eaten.

#7 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

Greyfingers, are the cuttings able to grow ? rather embarrassing, all my moringa cuttings failed to grow.

#8 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

View PostAhSeng, on 19 October 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

Greyfingers, are the cuttings able to grow ? rather embarrassing, all my moringa cuttings failed to grow.

Ha ha ha that makes two of us! :hysterical:/>

Anyway I'm trying out some seeds now. A distant neighbour gave me some. You want to try?

#9 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

View PostGreyfingers, on 24 October 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

Ha ha ha that makes two of us! :hysterical:/>

Anyway I'm trying out some seeds now. A distant neighbour gave me some. You want to try?

haha..no need, my block downstairs have a few trees. sorry make you waste a trip. :hitmyself:/>

This post has been edited by AhSeng: 24 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

#10 User is offline   philgoh 

• Pip
  • Interests:Mulberry, Dragon Fruit, Yam, Moringa, Sweet Potatoes, Medicinal Plant (白鹤灵芝, 地胆头, 苦藤, 黑面将军 )

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

View PostAhSeng, on 19 October 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

#11 User is offline   philgoh 

• Pip
  • Interests:Mulberry, Dragon Fruit, Yam, Moringa, Sweet Potatoes, Medicinal Plant (白鹤灵芝, 地胆头, 苦藤, 黑面将军 )

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

[quote name='AhSeng' timestamp='1350657630' post='344738']

Ah Seng,
Just started planting Moringa recently. Tried 3 attempts using cuttings, 2 are successful.

1. 18" long, size of last finger planted in 8" flower pot 4 months ago. - survived and transplanted to guound. First harvest of leaves a week ago, quite tasty.

2. Meter long, size of index finger, planted direct into ground two months ago. Survived

3. 18" long, size of chopstick, planted in 6" flower pot. Failed to survive.

Tips:
1.Top part of Moringa cutting tends to rot easily, especially in rainy season, tying a small plastic bag on top of the stem cutting helps to prevent rotting.

2. The one that didn't survive is probably due to insufficient depth or soil around cutting not
compacted properly, resulting in loosened cutting.

Hope this info is helpful to you. Try again and wishing you success at the next attempt.

#12 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

View Postphilgoh, on 19 November 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

Ah Seng,
Just started planting Moringa recently. Tried 3 attempts using cuttings, 2 are successful.

1. 18" long, size of last finger planted in 8" flower pot 4 months ago. - survived and transplanted to guound. First harvest of leaves a week ago, quite tasty.

2. Meter long, size of index finger, planted direct into ground two months ago. Survived

3. 18" long, size of chopstick, planted in 6" flower pot. Failed to survive.

Tips:
1.Top part of Moringa cutting tends to rot easily, especially in rainy season, tying a small plastic bag on top of the stem cutting helps to prevent rotting.

2. The one that didn't survive is probably due to insufficient depth or soil around cutting not
compacted properly, resulting in loosened cutting.

Hope this info is helpful to you. Try again and wishing you success at the next attempt.

Thanks. I've used 8-10cm diameter cuttings, but couldn't survive, maybe need thicker ones. maybe soil problem, and various reasons.

#13 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostAhSeng, on 20 November 2012 - 07:35 AM, said:

Thanks. I've used 8-10cm diameter cuttings, but couldn't survive, maybe need thicker ones. maybe soil problem, and various reasons.

10cm diameter!? Wow that's huge.

#14 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

View PostGreyfingers, on 20 November 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

10cm diameter!? Wow that's huge.

I take a look at my ruler, made a mistake in estimation, it is 6cm diameter.

#15 User is offline   somya sharma 

• Pip
  • Interests:Reading

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Since moringa is an all-natural product with these vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and proteins naturally occurring in the plant, the nutrition contained in the products is easily absorbed and readily used by the body.

Our capsules contain 100% pure and natural Moringa Oleifera pulverized leaf powder. Moringa Oleifera is extremely rich in Vitamins, Minerals and Amino-Acids so crucial for our body. This makes Moringa leaves capsules an ideal natural organic source for all Vitamins, Minerals and Energy our body craves to.

#16 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

Nah I think natural is best. Just how many of those compound leaves goes into each pill? And how many of those pills does one have to take for it to be of any benefit? In my opinion this stuff ain't any good for us who have plenty to fill everyday. It can only be of benefit if one eats the equivalent of a few hundred pills at one go. Am I not right?

#17 User is offline   philgoh 

• Pip

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Isn't this a site for gardeners and DIY hobbyist, rather than an on-line pharma store? What I gather from google and youtube is that production of moringa powder is quite simple:

1) Remove branches from tree. The plant tolerates well to pruning, the tree could be pollarded for easy harvesting of leaves.
2) Rinse in clean water. Allow the branches c/w leaves to air dry in a shade and on a tray or mesh. After sometime, the leaves will either fall off naturally or become easier to remove. There's really no need to remove the fresh leaves manually or individually, as this is too labourious for most of us. Discard damaged or discoloured leaves.
3) Pulverize the dried leaves manually by pounding with a mortar & pestle, or by using a blender.
4) Collect the green powder into a air-tight jar or plastic bag for storage in a cool, dark place. Do be aware of shelf life and storage conditions. Discard the powder when it becomes mouldy or foul smelling.

Moringa Leaf powder is an excellent nutritional supplement and can be added to any dish. Nutrient content of Moringa Leaf Powder decreases if exposed to heat, add a few spoonfull of the powder after the food or drink has been prepared or just before serving.

Reference : miracletrees.org

#18 User is offline   eircsmith 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Such benefits from plant!! Where can I get this???

#19 User is offline   philgoh 

• Pip

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

You can get it from HERE I just started planting it 6 months ago and I actually brought the stem cutting all the way from across the causeway.

#20 User is offline   Ah Pek 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:Vasco da Gama/Singapore/Bangalore/Johor Bahru/Houston
  • Interests:[FIG COLLECTOR]
    [RARE FRUITER]

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

You brought or bought ?

I ordered them across the Causeway at Tampoi near Mydin.

View Postphilgoh, on 30 January 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

You can get it from HERE I just started planting it 6 months ago and I actually brought the stem cutting all the way from across the causeway.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users