• 2 Pages +

Grow LED Lights

#1 User is offline   raphael raymond 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hi,
May i know is having a Grow LED Light beneficial to orchids? it has red or magenta LEDs which will boost blooming. Has anyone tried it? It's rather expensive so really hope to know if it's beneficial before buying

#2 User is offline   mobile 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

no point getting these LEDs , way too much expensive.

View Postraphael raymond, on 11 June 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

Hi,
May i know is having a Grow LED Light beneficial to orchids? it has red or magenta LEDs which will boost blooming. Has anyone tried it? It's rather expensive so really hope to know if it's beneficial before buying

#3 User is offline   xhedrickx 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Registered Merchant
  • Interests:Cattleya orchids, herbs (Edible and naughty) and Earthworm culture

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

no true. I am in touch with the owner of the VTX solutions. I am using his lights for our SGF display. The owner, KP was a former orchid fan in his younger days and I have talked to him about the possibility too. He is keen and open to ideas. I think it would be great to try it out on the Malaysian Phalanopsis as its smaller in size and most people do like to grow them. Give it a shot and said I recommend you to him. His prices are very reasonable.

http://vtxsolutions.webs.com/

#4 User is offline   raphael raymond 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

View Postxhedrickx, on 15 June 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

no true. I am in touch with the owner of the VTX solutions. I am using his lights for our SGF display. The owner, KP was a former orchid fan in his younger days and I have talked to him about the possibility too. He is keen and open to ideas. I think it would be great to try it out on the Malaysian Phalanopsis as its smaller in size and most people do like to grow them. Give it a shot and said I recommend you to him. His prices are very reasonable.

http://vtxsolutions.webs.com/

Called and smsed but didn't get any reply. maybe they aren't interested in doing business.
anyway i found out another supplier, LEDPRINCESS.com, the sales person, Christopher, I talked to and ordered from is so much helpful and friendly!
got my LED grow lights from him. they are having promotion now. :)/>

#5 User is offline   raphael raymond 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

This is my newly-bought LED grow lights for my ORCHID rack. Those interested may look for LEDPRINCESS.COM, look for Christopher, I'm sure he will be very helpful :)/>, a very nice sales person. Currently they have promotion now, and there's even warranty for a year. when I asked ecocityhydroponics, no warranty at all unless you get Kessil LED which is more expensive. this is the lights after turning on which I got: RED LED said to encourage flowering and BLUE LED to encourage growth. Ratio of RED to Blue is 8:1. The light output is about 4000 Lumens. :)/>

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh588/raytan12/photo3.jpg

This post has been edited by raphael raymond: 21 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

#6 User is offline   warus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

hi Raphael,

You obviously have done quite a bit of research on this.

I have a question, does the white LED lights work just as well? I mean from a display point of view, the hue of blue and red does not make the display very appealing. I am working on a project to both see if it is possible to continously grow orchids in a tank in a close environment to enhace the look and feel of my living room.

#7 User is offline   Phantom 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:cp
    Miniature orchid

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

View Postraphael raymond, on 21 June 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

This is my newly-bought LED grow lights for my ORCHID rack. Those interested may look for LEDPRINCESS.COM, look for Christopher, I'm sure he will be very helpful :)/>, a very nice sales person. Currently they have promotion now, and there's even warranty for a year. when I asked ecocityhydroponics, no warranty at all unless you get Kessil LED which is more expensive. this is the lights after turning on which I got: RED LED said to encourage flowering and BLUE LED to encourage growth. Ratio of RED to Blue is 8:1. The light output is about 4000 Lumens. :)/>

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh588/raytan12/photo3.jpg

beautiful....
but I somehow feel that we should not isolate the plants from other spectrum like red.?

#8 User is offline   raphael raymond 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

I read that blue is used for growth enhancement and red is to encourage flowering. White is basically for aesthetic purpose. It works but may not be as effective as red/blue

#9 User is offline   raphael raymond 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

The LED lights are on during the day, on top of the day light we get, not under direct sunlight.

#10 User is offline   raphael raymond 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

I was quite skeptical if the LED grow lights would work. After using it for a month, i could see new leaves on my phalaenopsis, new leaves on my paphiopedilums which had no signs of growth for 2 months, many keikis and very healthy roots on my doritis pulcherrima.

Hoping to see better and more results soon. :)/>

#11 User is offline   raphael raymond 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

Update photo of new growths on my orchids since I got LED Grow Lights on 21 June.
New roots, new leaves, new keikis - on my mini cattleyas, brassavolas, phalaenopsis, tolumnia and paphs.
Before using the LED Grow Lights, I hardly see such new growths on any of them.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh588/raytan12/photo-2.jpg

#12 User is offline   passion 

• PipPip

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for sharing, Raphael. Which model did you buy and how much is it?

#13 User is offline   raphael raymond 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

I really can't recall my model. You may call Chris 82016588 from LED Princess. Mine is either 90 or 100 LEDs

#14 User is offline   raphael raymond 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

I put extremely close to my orchids and no worry about burns or rainy days. The lights have fans and so it won't be hot.

#15 User is offline   passion 

• PipPip

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

Thanks. In your set up, how far is the bottom plant from the light? Does the light feel hot? Is there a min or max distance to place the plants?

Thks u just answered.

This post has been edited by passion: 15 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

#16 User is offline   raphael raymond 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

The bottom Are phalaenopsis. At least 3 ft away. The lights aren't hot at all

#17 User is offline   corwinlame 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Music,Reading.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

Grow LED lights is best for orchid so I suggest you to use this for growing your orchid plants. You have to only set this LED light 3 or 4 ft away from your orchid so its more beneficial. I also use LED lights for growing my orchid plants.

#18 User is offline   raphael raymond 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

View Postcorwinlame, on 10 September 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

Grow LED lights is best for orchid so I suggest you to use this for growing your orchid plants. You have to only set this LED light 3 or 4 ft away from your orchid so its more beneficial. I also use LED lights for growing my orchid plants.

3-4 ft seems pretty far for my orchid rack

#19 User is offline   corwinlame 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Music,Reading.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

View Postraphael raymond, on 10 September 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

3-4 ft seems pretty far for my orchid rack

If its so far for your orchid rack than you have to extend your light from your plant. I only know this way because I also use this this light for growing my plants. Now you have to decided what you have to do?

#20 User is offline   drektster 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

View Postwarus, on 24 June 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

hi Raphael,

You obviously have done quite a bit of research on this.

I have a question, does the white LED lights work just as well? I mean from a display point of view, the hue of blue and red does not make the display very appealing. I am working on a project to both see if it is possible to continously grow orchids in a tank in a close environment to enhace the look and feel of my living room.

actually white led contains the necessary spectrum for the growth of plants. you can try keeping fish below and orchid higher above the tank, with over head lighings.i think it would work as the tank provide the humidity needed for orchid.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users