GCS Forum: YAM plant - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

YAM plant About growing Yam purchased from supermarkets.

#1 User is offline   raintree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Location:Bedok Reservoir & Bedok Town Park happily & willingly sandwiched in between
  • Interests:Admiring plant & trees for their beneficial effects to mankind

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

Wht is the type/name of yam plant that was planted along the primeter of Orchard Central that was removed shortly thereafter. They were very luxuriant with beautiful green leaves and I do see them outside the showroom of the EUhabiat sho/townhouse by FAr East along ubi road now.

The big edible yam tuber that is from Thailand and sold at Sheng Shiong supermarket, what is the name/ype and can it be planted in that condition.

The edible small egg yam that is available during August to November from China during moon festival, can ib be grown and what is the name/type and how do they look with leaves on.

Thank you.

#2 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

The small egg-size yam is Colocasia esculenta. It is also called Taro or cocoyam. wild ones can be found growing at some places locally. I saw some one dig the wild ones before, and it is about the same size, but I donno how edible is the wild ones. maybe it is the same thing, maybe it is different from cultivated ones.
The bigger size yam at the market... it seems to be a variety of Colocasia esculenta too. anyone knows ?

I didn't travel to the place mentioned, so I donno which plant it may be. There are a few of these type of ornamental plants used for landscaping. The most common one is Alocasia macrorrhizos, which grows feral in the wild. I've seen green stem ones and some with quite dark colour stem, near to black colour but not black. donno whether it is Alocasia macrorrhizos as these type of plants look the same to me. These plant's sap will cause skin irritation if it contact the skin while chopping off the leaves. I've handled it a few times, nothing happens to me just that it is itchy.

This post has been edited by AhSeng: 08 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

#3 User is offline   raintree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:Bedok Reservoir & Bedok Town Park happily & willingly sandwiched in between

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

View PostAhSeng, on 08 May 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

The small egg-size yam is Colocasia esculenta. It is also called Taro or cocoyam. wild ones can be found growing at some places locally. I saw some one dig the wild ones before, and it is about the same size, but I donno how edible is the wild ones. maybe it is the same thing, maybe it is different from cultivated ones.
The bigger size yam at the market... it seems to be a variety of Colocasia esculenta too. anyone knows ?

I didn't travel to the place mentioned, so I donno which plant it may be. There are a few of these type of ornamental plants used for landscaping. The most common one is Alocasia macrorrhizos, which grows feral in the wild. I've seen green stem ones and some with quite dark colour stem, near to black colour but not black. donno whether it is Alocasia macrorrhizos as these type of plants look the same to me. These plant's sap will cause skin irritation if it contact the skin while chopping off the leaves. I've handled it a few times, nothing happens to me just that it is itchy.

#4 User is offline   raintree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

Has anyone tried growing them fresh from the market ?

#5 User is offline   zaq 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Fragrant plants

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

View Postraintree, on 08 May 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

Has anyone tried growing them fresh from the market ?

Hi Raintree !!

Me! I bought the corms from Tekka market and buried them into the soil. They sprouted in just a few days!

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj556/zakey907/IMG_1597.jpg

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj556/zakey907/IMG_1598.jpg

#6 User is offline   raintree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

Can you be specific please.

Did you buy the BIG one or the small one.

What you bought did it have roots.

If not how can it take root.

When leaves are matured can you post a pic. I would prefer a plant where the Tuber can be seen above the soil.

Thank you.

#7 User is offline   MichaelP 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:just about all exotic weird plants

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hundreds of cultivars of taro , some with small tubers , some with massive tubers . Size can also depend on amount of rain and soil nutrition available. Most people cannot tell an Alocasia from a Colocasia . Smooth rootless tubers will sprout roots very fast in tropical climate once planted . They are not true yams . Coco-yam is name usually given to related Xanthosoma , but with as with all common names is usually mixed up and used for similar plants .

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users