GCS Forum: My Balcony Farm - GCS Forum

Jump to content

  • 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7

My Balcony Farm

#121 User is offline   soethe 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 63
  • Joined: 13-March 12
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Woodlands
  • Interests:Traveling, gardening and photography

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:08 AM

View PostPhytomania, on 02 June 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

Wow! How long have you had the papaya, soethe?


Hi Phytomania,
I have this papaya for about two months now. I adopted it from my friend who wanted to throw it away because it's a male plant. It has grown a lot bigger after I've changed into bigger pot.
0

#122 User is offline   karnagec 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: 05-January 12

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

Whoa, impressive setup!

I hope to get my garden up to your standards as well! And may be plant some crops and varieties more rare in singapore. Good job and keep posting updates! You're an inspiration!
0

#123 User is offline   Ah Pek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: 21-August 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vasco da Gama/Singapore/Bangalore/Johor Bahru/Houston
  • Interests:[FIG COLLECTOR]
    [RARE FRUITER]

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

I whole heartedly agree.

lovely garden to say the least.

View Postkarnagec, on 08 June 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

Whoa, impressive setup!

Good job and keep posting updates! You're an inspiration!

0

#124 User is offline   Muskmint 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 48
  • Joined: 23-May 14
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:East side of Singapore
  • Interests:Baking up a storm of puffs and cheesecakes
    Fostering kittens and cat-sitting
    Western dining
    Speed-reading
    Anatomy
    Biology
    Organising

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

So pretty :wub:/> :wub:/>
Hello I'd like to ask how's your peanut growing in a pot? I'm moving to a smaller place so I have to pot all my peanuts(I love them:)) but I'm not too sure of growing root vegetables and edibles with large root systems in pots. You don't seem to have trouble with that. Could you share with us? Also do you hand pollinate your chillies and tomatoes? :wacko:/>
Do you place leca in the pot before or after seeds have sprouted? It seems to be a good method to prevent soil splatter and prop up the seedlings at the same time:) my kailan are all leggy creatures:(
All your plants are potted? What's your biggest pot and what's growing in it?

Thank you!

Regards
Muskmint
0

#125 User is offline   soethe 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 63
  • Joined: 13-March 12
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Woodlands
  • Interests:Traveling, gardening and photography

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

View Postkarnagec, on 08 June 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

Whoa, impressive setup!

I hope to get my garden up to your standards as well! And may be plant some crops and varieties more rare in singapore. Good job and keep posting updates! You're an inspiration!


View PostAh Pek, on 08 June 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

I whole heartedly agree.

lovely garden to say the least.


Thank you, karnagec and Ah Pek. I will try my best with the updates.:)/>
0

#126 User is offline   soethe 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 63
  • Joined: 13-March 12
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Woodlands
  • Interests:Traveling, gardening and photography

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:10 AM

View PostMuskmint, on 18 June 2014 - 08:59 PM, said:

So pretty :wub:/>/> :wub:/>/>
Hello I'd like to ask how's your peanut growing in a pot? I'm moving to a smaller place so I have to pot all my peanuts(I love them:)) but I'm not too sure of growing root vegetables and edibles with large root systems in pots. You don't seem to have trouble with that. Could you share with us? Also do you hand pollinate your chillies and tomatoes? :wacko:/>/>
Do you place leca in the pot before or after seeds have sprouted? It seems to be a good method to prevent soil splatter and prop up the seedlings at the same time:) my kailan are all leggy creatures:(
All your plants are potted? What's your biggest pot and what's growing in it?

Thank you!

Regards
Muskmint


Hi Muskmint,
Thank you! My peanuts just sprouted and growing well in the pot so far.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o638/soethe/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06-16151432.jpg
This is my first time growing peanut so I am not sure with root systems as well. I am testing peanut to fertilize the used soil. Have you harvested your peanuts before? I heard boiled fresh peanuts are the best.
I don't hand pollinate any of my pants (except bitter gourd) so far I don't have any problem with fruiting. I don't grow tomato anymore. I got like 5 tomatoes from my previous plant, but it attracts white flies so I got rid of it. Now I am growing tomatillo instead.
I put leca only when seedlings are a about 1-2 inch tall. I am not sure it will help prop up the seedlings but it helps with soil splatter and weeds propping up. All my plants are in pots. The biggest pots I have are curry leaf, Kyoho grape and papaya plants. I will post some photos of those when I have time.
0

#127 User is offline   Muskmint 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 48
  • Joined: 23-May 14
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:East side of Singapore
  • Interests:Baking up a storm of puffs and cheesecakes
    Fostering kittens and cat-sitting
    Western dining
    Speed-reading
    Anatomy
    Biology
    Organising

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:28 AM

View Postsoethe, on 21 June 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

Hi Muskmint,
Thank you! My peanuts just sprouted and growing well in the pot so far.
This is my first time growing peanut so I am not sure with root systems as well. I am testing peanut to fertilize the used soil. Have you harvested your peanuts before? I heard boiled fresh peanuts are the best.
I don't hand pollinate any of my pants (except bitter gourd) so far I don't have any problem with fruiting. I don't grow tomato anymore. I got like 5 tomatoes from my previous plant, but it attracts white flies so I got rid of it. Now I am growing tomatillo instead.
I put leca only when seedlings are a about 1-2 inch tall. I am not sure it will help prop up the seedlings but it helps with soil splatter and weeds propping up. All my plants are in pots. The biggest pots I have are curry leaf, Kyoho grape and papaya plants. I will post some photos of those when I have time.


Thanks for your reply! It's my first time growing as well:) but I'm pretty impatient. Didn't label the sowing date so I guess it's been two months max? Mine is around 30+ cm tall but the root system was pretty damaged when I transplanted them from the ground. So all four are recuperating now.. I love love love freshly steamed peanuts! All the more makes me want to grow them:))) I'm just really blur.... Still a long way to grow... I have only 1/2 my kailan seedlings left from my carelessness. Left them out battered by the rain. Apparently peanut is self/insect pollinated so not much to worry about.

I'm not a tomato fan but tomatillo sounds interesting. First time hearing something like that. Could you share? :flowers:/>
Thank you!

Cheers
Muskmint
0

#128 User is offline   soethe 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 63
  • Joined: 13-March 12
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Woodlands
  • Interests:Traveling, gardening and photography

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

View PostMuskmint, on 24 June 2014 - 01:28 AM, said:

Thanks for your reply! It's my first time growing as well:) but I'm pretty impatient. Didn't label the sowing date so I guess it's been two months max? Mine is around 30+ cm tall but the root system was pretty damaged when I transplanted them from the ground. So all four are recuperating now.. I love love love freshly steamed peanuts! All the more makes me want to grow them:))) I'm just really blur.... Still a long way to grow... I have only 1/2 my kailan seedlings left from my carelessness. Left them out battered by the rain. Apparently peanut is self/insect pollinated so not much to worry about.

I'm not a tomato fan but tomatillo sounds interesting. First time hearing something like that. Could you share? :flowers:/>/>
Thank you!

Cheers
Muskmint


Hi Muskmint,
Tomatillos are same family as gooseberry, widely used in Mexican food like salsa verde. It's very easy to sprout and fast growing but difficult to set fruit. I did some research and found that it needs at least two plants for cross-pollination. so I am growing second plant and will see what happens. Let me know if you want to try growing them, I got a few seeds left.
0

#129 User is offline   Camou 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 42
  • Joined: 09-March 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampines
  • Interests:Aquascaping,DIY

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:28 PM

Awesome thread!!!
i shall not show this to my wife... :P/>/>

This post has been edited by Camou: 12 March 2015 - 06:28 PM

0

Share this topic:


  • 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users