#1 User is offline   Astarz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:58 PM

Blue Ginger
Dichorisandra thyrsiflora
Family: Commelinaceae

Blue Ginger is a beautiful tropical plant in the spiderwort family. It grows to about 5 feet tall and blooms in late summer with clusters of pure blue flowers atop stems of dark green spiraling leaves.

This plant needs shade, moisture and a well drained soil. It is suitable as a patio plant or can be planted out in the garden in protected shaded areas. source: http://caldwellhort.com

http://www.alohafriendsphotos.com/web%20art/flower_ginger_blue02v_small.jpghttp://www.crabapplelane.net/roblog/archives/100304a.jpg

#2 User is offline   Salley Goh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:20 AM

Hi, Astraz,
Just wondering if this blue ginger the same as the one we used for cooking? I have so called "blue ginger" but did not realise that it has such nice color flowers.

#3 User is offline   Han Chong 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:landscaping

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:07 PM

I don't think it is the one used for cooking. Because my Dichorisandra thyrsiflora doesn't have rhizomes that looks like the true ginger. Anyway, it likes cool and moist environment.

#4 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:17 PM

Hi All,

This is not the blue ginger used for cooking. This so-called blue ginger isn't a true ginger at all. It belongs to the Commelinaceae family of plants. It needs to be grown in a shaded but humid place in the outdoors and needs to be cool too, in order to bloom. It does better in the subtropics rather than in the hotter tropics.

Hope that helps and clarifies,

Wilson

#5 User is offline   superfinefeline 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

How big will the Blue Ginger plant (lam kieu / galangal) grow? I guess the flowers are blue?

#6 User is offline   patricia 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Flowering Plants

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:46 PM

View Postsuperfinefeline, on Jan 1 2008, 07:32 PM, said:

How big will the Blue Ginger plant (lam kieu / galangal) grow? I guess the flowers are blue?

Well this galangal plant is very big. And the flower, well, there's 2 type but none of them are blue.. :P/>

Follow the below link, will show you how the plant and flower look like..Don't know this is the big or small variety.. http://pachome1.paci...hia/pict12.html

This post has been edited by patricia: 01 January 2008 - 08:00 PM

#7 User is offline   superfinefeline 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:44 PM

Thanks Patricia for the link. I love gingers for the pretty flowers (though I'm not sure which genre the beautiful flowers belong to) and also for consumption.

I tried growing the regular ginger (saw on the website that you linked that its official name is Zingiber officinale), cool! Its sprouting and I have no idea how big it will get and if it will bear any flowers at all.

#8 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:03 PM

Hi All,

Just to clarify, the blue ginger discussed in this topics is botanically known as Dichorisandra thyrsiflora. It is not related in anyway to the so-called "lam kiew" which is Alpinia galanga.

Dichorisandra thyrsiflora is not a ginger at all. On the other hand, Alpinia galanga, is a true ginger that bears sprays of white flowers.

Hope this clarifies the confusion,

Wilson

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users