Educational Community Herb Garden Advice and help sought

#41 User is offline   Dnn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

I have the following in my garden:
2/3 big Aloe Vera
2/3 big Tradescantia spathacea and some dwarf version (the ones sold in market for liang teh)
1 pot of Vitex trifolia

The Aloe Vera and Tradescantia are grown in the ground and I have to dig it up and put in bags for you if you want it. Collection have to be by 21st April otherwise they will be thrown away. Let me know if you want them and I will get it ready for you.

#42 User is offline   Calvinlim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:07 AM

Hi Lavendergarden,

Thanks. Will plan around 8-10 cuttings and get them to save the cost of the lemon balm.

I am having difficulty getting the landscape people to plan the layout of my proposed herb garden, the last plan they proposed had the locations of the rosemary and lavender in the area exposed to rain where the soil is often clayey. This is because the landscape layout designer is not a trained botanist, the site staff not bothering to take into account the actual growing conditions and lighting conditions of the site and passing on this information. Wonder how many rounds I have to go through before they can start planting.

Hi Dnn,

Can I arrange to come by on sunday the 15th? Let me know via pm. Thanks alot!

#43 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

That what I suspect , that why I suggest soil budget . May be try not to be ambitious cover the whole area . If the purposal does not include free drain soil . U might end up having poor looking plant. To put things in proper prospective , it rain 170 days out of 365 days locally . In another words , every other day it is raining . So far the plant in your list are v exotic and not able to handle clay soil . It take 2 days for the soil to be dry up and wet feet is very common ..

#44 User is offline   Calvinlim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

Sorry Tian, but I think that you may have read me incorrectly. As I have posted many times, the area that I had proposed for rosemary and lavender will have draining soil and not clay soil. It will also be sheltered from the rain.

The problem I am facing is that my landscape guys apparently are not listening and ended up suggesting to grow the plants in the wrong places, in the unsheltered part where the soil may be clayey.

View Postdigitalgate, on 14 April 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

That what I suspect , that why I suggest soil budget . May be try not to be ambitious cover the whole area . If the purposal does not include free drain soil . U might end up having poor looking plant. To put things in proper prospective , it rain 170 days out of 365 days locally . In another words , every other day it is raining . So far the plant in your list are v exotic and not able to handle clay soil . It take 2 days for the soil to be dry up and wet feet is very common ..

#45 User is offline   lavendergarden 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Associate Member
  • Interests:Lover of Lavenders. Huge Country Music Fan. Endorphin Junkie.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hi Calvin

How's your community herb garden coming along? The lavenders I promised you are ready. Got some lovely pink hidcotes and grosso lavenders all rooted. They are small now though. Anyone keen on growing these can pm me too.

cheers

Joyce

#46 User is offline   Calvinlim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

Hi all,

After much trouble with my condo's managing agent (which we eventually changed) and the landscaping contractor, I am pleased to report that my lavender and rosemary plants are doing well. My basils and mints are not doing so well though, I thought that they were easy plants and did not watch over their maintenance so tightly. I just feel that the landscaper is just not good at maintaining culinary plants.

Will try to post some pictures when I can figure out how to download the photos from my S3 to my computer.

Apologies for the lack of updates as I have been really busy at work. Almost thought of giving up when the landscaper just failed to maintain certain parts of the garden, but fortunately my newly appointed managing agent managed to fix many of the defects.

Hi Lavendergarden,

Hope I am not too late to pick up the plants from you.

Best regards

Calvin

#47 User is offline   Calvinlim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

Here are some photos

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-NjL0DKheu6g/ULy2QpE1EMI/AAAAAAAAACo/HC5RECKW0Kw/s800/20121102_164156.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-30CsEt_0PL8/ULy2RxjokzI/AAAAAAAAACw/rXF8EDnaDhk/s800/20121102_164204.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FWuJbV7ejUI/ULy2kWR1naI/AAAAAAAAADA/ZkG7YIH48g0/s800/20121102_164207.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wfJ2kwShsx0/ULy2k_9bX0I/AAAAAAAAADM/u4nvLSgv2pM/s800/20121102_164344.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-AqKCOa6y6vw/ULy2qXE0eCI/AAAAAAAAADY/5FPQ11E3LQw/s800/20121102_164348.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-V0iiYdWTsXk/ULy2k2jbkVI/AAAAAAAAADI/QEj6d0QcAJ4/s800/20121102_164226.jpg

View PostCalvinlim, on 03 December 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

Hi all,

After much trouble with my condo's managing agent (which we eventually changed) and the landscaping contractor, I am pleased to report that my lavender and rosemary plants are doing well. My basils and mints are not doing so well though, I thought that they were easy plants and did not watch over their maintenance so tightly. I just feel that the landscaper is just not good at maintaining culinary plants.

Will try to post some pictures when I can figure out how to download the photos from my S3 to my computer.

Apologies for the lack of updates as I have been really busy at work. Almost thought of giving up when the landscaper just failed to maintain certain parts of the garden, but fortunately my newly appointed managing agent managed to fix many of the defects.

Hi Lavendergarden,

Hope I am not too late to pick up the plants from you.

Best regards

Calvin

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users