GCS Forum: HTCs in bloom - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

HTCs in bloom

#1 User is offline   PreSam 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

Finally my first heat tolerant cymbidium hybrids have bloomed. I have Pratabong and Lilliput in bloom now and Pakkret Muffin and Dutchman's Gold should bloom shortly. The Lilliput has a lovely fragrance.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7022/6706630357_12ef125fc2_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7030/6706630339_b2f1b49a51_b.jpg

#2 User is offline   Alfredo Tan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

View PostPreSam, on 16 January 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

Finally my first heat tolerant cymbidium hybrids have bloomed. I have Pratabong and Lilliput in bloom now and Pakkret Muffin and Dutchman's Gold should bloom shortly. The Lilliput has a lovely fragrance.

Congrats! Your orchids are elegantly beautiful.I would love to grow one some day:)

#3 User is offline   dinosaurr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

View PostPreSam, on 16 January 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

oooh aaahh.. looking at these make me wish i had bought up Insigne's stock!

#4 User is offline   Il Pirata 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Low Maintenance plants which do well in a very limited space on a HDB corridor that receives seasonal sunlight

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:23 AM

Good job bro! I'm still struggling with mine. They got too much sun, and i've no other place to put them..

#5 User is offline   PreSam 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostIl Pirata, on 17 January 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

Good job bro! I'm still struggling with mine. They got too much sun, and i've no other place to put them..

Pirata, you should move them immediately to shade with a little air movement and let them get past the hottest months.During the monsoons you can shift them back to their old positions so that they get enough light without sunburn and reward you with flowers after the monsoons. When I received my plants via my vendor after a week he purchased it from Kobsukh in October of 2010, they hardly had any roots. I was dejected when I didn't see much improvement and they seemed to get worse during the hottest months. But once the monsoons began and I got my medium right, the recovery was amazing. After that there has been no looking back and I'm hooked to these beauties.

#6 User is offline   PreSam 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

Alfredo, don't just stop with one!!!

Dinosaurr, I guess most of Kobsukh's varieties should be available in Singapore now that many of the forum members had purchased one or two. Within a year or two, all of you must have divisions to exchange among yourselves. Once established, they grow pretty fast and you should be able to make up to 4 divisions in two years from a mature plant.

#7 User is offline   dinosaurr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostPreSam, on 18 January 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

Alfredo, don't just stop with one!!!

Dinosaurr, I guess most of Kobsukh's varieties should be available in Singapore now that many of the forum members had purchased one or two. Within a year or two, all of you must have divisions to exchange among yourselves. Once established, they grow pretty fast and you should be able to make up to 4 divisions in two years from a mature plant.

hi Presam,
thanks! haha - that's another burning question i have- should one make divisions? i.e. is it healthier to divide, or to let it grow into a big clump?!
That would go for the cyms i have and the ones frm the cycnodes/clowesia family - i hv biggish clumps! Anyone cares to share their thoughts and experiences?

#8 User is offline   PreSam 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:58 AM

View Postdinosaurr, on 18 January 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

hi Presam,
thanks! haha - that's another burning question i have- should one make divisions? i.e. is it healthier to divide, or to let it grow into a big clump?!
That would go for the cyms i have and the ones frm the cycnodes/clowesia family - i hv biggish clumps! Anyone cares to share their thoughts and experiences?

I generally divide when the plant fills the pot and is sending new growths off the edges. It would also be prudent to divide varieties that have spikes shorter than the leaves for better presentation as a big clump would hide most of the spikes.

#9 User is offline   insigne 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Heat Tolerant Cymbidiums

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

Have you decided what to cross with the blooms?? ^_^/>

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad156/kkaenrat/DSC_9159.jpg

#10 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

Wah nice! I've got one and still waiting more than a year already.

#11 User is offline   PreSam 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

View Postinsigne, on 02 February 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

I tried a lot of things on Pratabong but none took. Finally VA 'Salinas Sunset' from Andy seems to have worked and the pod is swelling nicely but still too early to tell. Even Lilliput and Dutchman's Gold didn't work on it. Are diploids difficult to work with? I didn't have anything nice to use on the Lilliput so I used the VA on that too. I've also crossed dayanum album with grandiflorum and Red Star from U.C.Pradhan which I presume is 2n. Another is Pakkret Muffin x Red Star. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and waiting to see how many will hold.

Can you flask the pods for me if I were to send them to you? Can I send by mail and what are the charges? How long does it take from sowing to deflasking?

#12 User is offline   insigne 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Heat Tolerant Cymbidiums

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

View PostPreSam, on 07 February 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

I tried a lot of things on Pratabong but none took. Finally VA 'Salinas Sunset' from Andy seems to have worked and the pod is swelling nicely but still too early to tell. Even Lilliput and Dutchman's Gold didn't work on it. Are diploids difficult to work with? I didn't have anything nice to use on the Lilliput so I used the VA on that too. I've also crossed dayanum album with grandiflorum and Red Star from U.C.Pradhan which I presume is 2n. Another is Pakkret Muffin x Red Star. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and waiting to see how many will hold.

Can you flask the pods for me if I were to send them to you? Can I send by mail and what are the charges? How long does it take from sowing to deflasking?

Yes, I can do the flasking of pods. The charge right now for Cymbidium seed sowing is 80 Baht per flask. It takes about one year.

#13 User is offline   peter-zheng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

View Postinsigne, on 02 February 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad156/kkaenrat/DSC_9159.jpg

I am interested in this one.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic