GCS Forum: Terrarium - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Terrarium

#1 User is offline   kuxz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

I would like to know what other types of plants is suitable to be grow together with fittonia in a terrarium ?

#2 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

Try some ferns.

#3 User is offline   Myso 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:19 AM

Bromeliads and small orchids are a common choice. Nepenthes can do well too.

#4 User is offline   kuxz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:14 AM

Does anyone know where to buy the glass and mini decorative stuff for terrarium ?

#5 User is offline   dinosaurr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

here you go - some plants recommended here e.g. ferns, gesneriads, begonias, and carnivorous plants- but i think u must look for the mini-sized ones since its hard to find a big jar
pinecrestgardenguy

#6 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

some glass containers are seen at FEF or Jimei, and other nurseries. Sometimes,you can find at daiso, small containers usually, or you can recycle a glass bottle.

I also looking for decorative stuff, what are the objects you are looking for ? Figurines, pagodas, bridge ,fake insects... ?

I find it rather hard to find them. During this CNY period, if there are any outdoor stalls or exhibitions, maybe look out for some miniature bonsai figurines.I see mostly chinese style pots. Small turtle figurines may be more easy to find at some places. The aquarium shop at Jalan kayu, Nanyang aquarium, has some ape , buffalo figurines . I bought a miniature clay pavilion from there before.
These figurines is something I feel like making myself, but alot of work.Simple figurines may be possible, like ants and mushrooms using air-dry clay and painted. Human figurines are tough to DIY.
Any suggestions of places to find decorative stuff ?

This post has been edited by AhSeng: 17 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

#7 User is offline   kuxz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostAhSeng, on 17 January 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

some glass containers are seen at FEF or Jimei, and other nurseries. Sometimes,you can find at daiso, small containers usually, or you can recycle a glass bottle.

I also looking for decorative stuff, what are the objects you are looking for ? Figurines, pagodas, bridge ,fake insects... ?

I find it rather hard to find them. During this CNY period, if there are any outdoor stalls or exhibitions, maybe look out for some miniature bonsai figurines.I see mostly chinese style pots. Small turtle figurines may be more easy to find at some places. The aquarium shop at Jalan kayu, Nanyang aquarium, has some ape , buffalo figurines . I bought a miniature clay pavilion from there before.
These figurines is something I feel like making myself, but alot of work.Simple figurines may be possible, like ants and mushrooms using air-dry clay and painted. Human figurines are tough to DIY.
Any suggestions of places to find decorative stuff ?

I am thinking of looking for cute animals, figurines and some special decoration. And should be small in sizes.

#8 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:21 AM

The young man selling the marimo ball @ hortpark have alot of those cute cute thingy, I think they run under the giveaplant.com or something like that, always can't remember their website.

#9 User is offline   lolandra 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

For me, usually I will get the containers from IKEA or Daiso. But of course, choices limited. Otherwise, like what AhSeng said, recycle glass bottles.

Yep Abby, u're right. It's giveaplant.com. They used to sell those cute cute thingy in their mini stalls in Toy Outpost but now no more liao, only selling marimos in those places.

Personally i find those thingy v expensive so i usually use things that i can find, eg seashells, those small deco (plastic ones) on cakes, etc.

#10 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

Look at my micro-mini Sinn and Achimenes in a big 'wine' glass container, it leave them open, the Achemenes will be tall so have to live in the open galss.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h457/AbbyGohab/IMG_0832.jpg
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h457/AbbyGohab/IMG_0831.jpg
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h457/AbbyGohab/IMG_0830.jpg

This is a pot of the Sinn in a thumb pot, I put the whole pot in with the moss cover up the pot and I have took out some for use for my new sundew seeds sowing, so now can see the pot, this way easy to do maintenance and tyriming of the plant.
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h457/AbbyGohab/IMG_0837.jpg

#11 User is offline   kuxz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

Anyone tried growing terrarium in a wine glass bottle ? Is it suitable for growing terrarium ?

#12 User is offline   kuxz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

Is Leca a suitable medium for terrarium as the base medium (most bottom level) because I saw a shop selling terrarium that uses leca as the base medium.

#13 User is offline   chocoholic 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

View Postkuxz, on 06 February 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

Anyone tried growing terrarium in a wine glass bottle ? Is it suitable for growing terrarium ?

The tiny opening is a real challange. I would love to try but have not found any suitable plant to squeeze in. Do post photos or even any suggestions. Thanks!

#14 User is offline   kuxz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

View Postchocoholic, on 06 February 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

The tiny opening is a real challange. I would love to try but have not found any suitable plant to squeeze in. Do post photos or even any suggestions. Thanks!

I am planning to try fittonia and currently sourcing for suitable wine glass bottle.

#15 User is offline   schroedingers katze 

• PipPip

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

I think it it possible sow seeds into bottles with narrow openings, so the plants can grow into the containers, instead of being transplanted and risk damage. For gravel and medium, these are easier to get into bottles than plants. Has anyone tried it?

I have tried something similar by placing tiny plantlets of bryophyllum into narrow bottles, but they grow so rapidly that I end up with a mess of leaves that produced more plantlets that fall off and grew. Since there was no way to get them out the whole thing had to be discarded when it starts to look like an orgy in there.

Anyway, I suppose my concept has been proven, and this has potential with seeds of slooooowww growing plants.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users