GCS Forum: Indoor Garden - Mango tree - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Indoor Garden - Mango tree

#1 User is offline   karnagec 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:17 PM

Hi all, my first post and its to start a new topic... cause I couldnt find any posts related to what I want to ask...

Anyway I'm a young indoor gardener started last July. I've been experimenting with various indoor vegetables and flowering plants using artificial lighting.

My question is, when I planted a mango seed from an australian fruit a while back, 4 plants sprouted from the one seed... now I'm seeing a fifth sprouting out. What is the cause of this, is this something normal? Couldn't find any info on multiple shoots from one seed when I googled so I thought I'd try it here.

Ps: I had previously sprouted 2 other local seeds and they all yielded one plant per seed.

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   Green Baron 

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

View Postkarnagec, on 05 January 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

Hi all, my first post and its to start a new topic... cause I couldnt find any posts related to what I want to ask...

Anyway I'm a young indoor gardener started last July. I've been experimenting with various indoor vegetables and flowering plants using artificial lighting.

My question is, when I planted a mango seed from an australian fruit a while back, 4 plants sprouted from the one seed... now I'm seeing a fifth sprouting out. What is the cause of this, is this something normal? Couldn't find any info on multiple shoots from one seed when I googled so I thought I'd try it here.

Ps: I had previously sprouted 2 other local seeds and they all yielded one plant per seed.

Thanks!

I have never seen more than 1 shoot growing out from a single mango seed. Can you post a photo of the seed/plants ?

#3 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:33 PM

Try typing "multiple embryo mango seeds" in google and you may find some articles.I've not observed mango seedling closely, but I've noticed multiple shoots often occurs in Citrus aurantifolia seeds.

#4 User is offline   karnagec 

• PipPip

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:05 AM

@ Green Baron: Hi, yes, I took a photo of it yesterday... below is the pic from my wordpress, sorry, its abit out of focus... lousy camera (and skills) heh...

http://singaporecontainergarden.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/img_8942.jpg

So as you can see there are 4 stalks with leaves up and if you look closely, a 5th stalk inching up from the base. All the leaves are greening up nicely and looks like new leaves are on the way also so they are healthy (for now).

@ Ah Seng: Thanks, I will look it up see if any mention of mango seeds

#5 User is offline   asamjawa 

• PipPip

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

Hi there, try looks for the answer in YouTube about growing mango tree, maybe will find the relevant answer to your quiry.. Good luck.

#6 User is offline   Ah Pek 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:Vasco da Gama/Singapore/Bangalore/Johor Bahru/Houston
  • Interests:[FIG COLLECTOR]
    [RARE FRUITER]

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:05 AM

Just bumping this up.

Does anyone do container mango?

or any other fruits ?

View Postasamjawa, on 26 August 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

Hi there, try looks for the answer in YouTube about growing mango tree, maybe will find the relevant answer to your quiry.. Good luck.

#7 User is offline   Click 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Only Edibles -- fruits, veggies, plants and herbs please.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostAh Pek, on 14 September 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

Just bumping this up.

Does anyone do container mango?

or any other fruits ?

I think BaliStyle does...

#8 User is offline   Ah Pek 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    [RARE FRUITER]

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

Dude you mean Mango Balistyle ?

:unsure:/> Sorry i am noob and sound dumb.

View PostClick, on 14 September 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

I think BaliStyle does...

#9 User is offline   Muskmint 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Baking up a storm of puffs and cheesecakes
    Fostering kittens and cat-sitting
    Western dining
    Speed-reading
    Anatomy
    Biology
    Organising

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

Hi:)

Like AhSeng said, 'multiple embryo is correct'.

Poly-embryonic seed result from both fusion of gametes from two parents and a diploid/polypoid ovum from the mother plant in a single ovule. Not sure how it happens, the first to shoot up, or the stronger, healthier seedlings are genetically identical to the mother plant, meaning the seed 'breeds true'. They grow faster too. Happened to my lime and lemon seedlings. Mango seems to be the most common poly-embryonic seed I have seen, mainly Western varieties? Hope they have grown well!!http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/flowers.gif

Do update on what has happened in the two years to your 'special case'.

Cheers
Muskmint

#10 User is offline   karnagec 

• PipPip

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

Hi regarding the mango plant, it's growing up well, I still have it! I cut off all shoots except for the strongest. It was stunted for the longest time until i transplanted it to bigger pot and gave it better lighting. Now, It has a main trunk and branches into Y about 0.5 metres up. Its total height is about 1.6m. I still keep it in a pot about 5 or 6 L. Yeah it's full potential isn't fulfilled because of lack of space to grow. I am thinking of further pruning the two branches to make the main stem and branches stronger (Praxxus pruning logic, if anyone has heard of him from YouTube).

If I ever get a community garden plot, I intend to donate and plant it there and hope it fruits haha

#11 User is offline   Ah Pek 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    [RARE FRUITER]

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

Thanks, now I have more stuff to read. Thats what makes this forum so useful.

View Postkarnagec, on 08 June 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

am thinking of further pruning the two branches to make the main stem and branches stronger (Praxxus pruning logic, if anyone has heard of him from YouTube).

#12 User is offline   karnagec 

• PipPip

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

@Ah Pek, yes aren't we all students of mother nature? For me listening to other gardeners onYoutube gives me something to do while driving, cus I don't listen to music. If you are interested can look up two of my favourite YouTube gardeners, Praxxus55712 and Growingyourgreens. They are different in some ways yet similar in their zest for organic gardening.

This post has been edited by karnagec: 08 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

#13 User is offline   Ah Pek 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    [RARE FRUITER]

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:05 PM

Thank you karnagec for sharing / introducing two Youtube Gardeners.

Il watch them.

Yes we are students of Mother Nature.

View Postkarnagec, on 08 June 2014 - 04:01 PM, said:

@Ah Pek, yes aren't we all students of mother nature? For me listening to other gardeners onYoutube gives me something to do while driving, cus I don't listen to music. If you are interested can look up two of my favourite YouTube gardeners, Praxxus55712 and Growingyourgreens. They are different in some ways yet similar in their zest for organic gardening.

This post has been edited by Ah Pek: 09 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

#14 User is offline   vanessafrida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

View Postkarnagec, on 08 June 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

Hi regarding the mango plant, it's growing up well, I still have it! I cut off all shoots except for the strongest. It was stunted for the longest time until i transplanted it to bigger pot and gave it better lighting. Now, It has a main trunk and branches into Y about 0.5 metres up. Its total height is about 1.6m. I still keep it in a pot about 5 or 6 L. Yeah it's full potential isn't fulfilled because of lack of space to grow. I am thinking of further pruning the two branches to make the main stem and branches stronger (Praxxus pruning logic, if anyone has heard of him from YouTube).

If I ever get a community garden plot, I intend to donate and plant it there and hope it fruits haha

Karnagec, how is your mango tree going? do share pictures

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users