GCS Forum: Fittonia Terrarium - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Fittonia Terrarium 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th

#1 User is offline   lolandra 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:37 PM

It's me again. Just wanna share a couple of photos of my latest fittonia terrariums.

Blue one is as a farewell gift for a colleague, the orange and pink ones are as X'mas gifts for another two colleagues and the last one in the Prego jar is actually an accident but now intend to give to a friend as birthday present.

The three glass jars were from Daiso and they are narrower compared to my previous two terrariums. Went to IKEA to get the fittonia and I miscalculated. In the end, I bought three pots with 6 stalks each and ended up with 18 stalks. I can only fit three stalks max into each container and so I was left with 9 stalks.

Recalled I have a Prego glass jar and so used that to do another one with 2 stalks. Added 2 stalks to my own terrarium and so now I'm left with 5 stalks in a pot.

Will probably need to look for a couple more glass jars or other containers to house the remaining stalks otherwise they are going to dry up by the time i return from my 11 days trip. :(/>

Unless there are takers but need to collect before Thursday (24 Nov) next week. If.. IF.. there are takers, PM me ba. :P/>
(Remaining fittonia all taken up)

Anyway, enjoy the photos. :)/>

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f267/kiki_soh/IMGP0544.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f267/kiki_soh/IMGP0545.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f267/kiki_soh/IMGP0546.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f267/kiki_soh/IMGP0547.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f267/kiki_soh/IMGP0548.jpg

My second terrarium can be found below

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f267/kiki_soh/IMGP0339-Copy.jpg

while my very first is here

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f267/kiki_soh/IMGP0294.jpg

This post has been edited by lolandra: 20 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

#2 User is offline   pino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

you may need to trim them when they grow too tall....

#3 User is offline   lolandra 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

View Postpino, on 18 November 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

you may need to trim them when they grow too tall....

True bt that will be the receivers problem by then. :P/>

Don't really like this batch of fittonia I bought coz they are very big and tall compared to the previous two pots I bought for the earlier terrariums.

When I was workin on the terrariums, I thought the glass containers from Daiso were shorter but after comparing, they were the same height as the one I bought from IKEA.

#4 User is offline   successnowhere 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

Hi lolandra,

Well done! Nice Terrarium and healthy fittonia you have chosen for your Terrariums.

The Fittonia are too big for your Terrarium's bottle, perhaps next time you might consider to choose a smaller leaves Fittonia.

Just want to share with you my experience during my Terrariums making journey. HaHa! Perhaps those who are the expert in Terrariums can join in on this topic.

My this Terrarium almost show more than 3 differents species of Fittonia, left hand side the red leaves Fittonia are those smaller leaves and shorter in height species, you can always use that for smaller bottle. The greener type are those which are bigger in leaves and can grows very fast too.

http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/9211/2478316630105881756S500x500Q85.jpg

I got a very bad experience with the pink leaves Fittonia(below pix), looks very healthy and nice when you first bot them back home, but within 2 weeks, they start to rot away 1 by 1 but surprising the green fittonia still remain strong. But this weekend, I will remove all plants inside including the centipede mini bamboo and change all the media used to prevent fungus from spreading.

http://inlinethumb31.webshots.com/20830/2375953240105881756S500x500Q85.jpg

#5 User is offline   lolandra 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

View Postsuccessnowhere, on 18 November 2011 - 04:51 PM, said:

Hi lolandra,

Well done! Nice Terrarium and healthy fittonia you have chosen for your Terrariums.

The Fittonia are too big for your Terrarium's bottle, perhaps next time you might consider to choose a smaller leaves Fittonia.

Just want to share with you my experience during my Terrariums making journey. HaHa! Perhaps those who are the expert in Terrariums can join in on this topic.

My this Terrarium almost show more than 3 differents species of Fittonia, left hand side the red leaves Fittonia are those smaller leaves and shorter in height species, you can always use that for smaller bottle. The greener type are those which are bigger in leaves and can grows very fast too.

I got a very bad experience with the pink leaves Fittonia(below pix), looks very healthy and nice when you first bot them back home, but within 2 weeks, they start to rot away 1 by 1 but surprising the green fittonia still remain strong. But this weekend, I will remove all plants inside including the centipede mini bamboo and change all the media used to prevent fungus from spreading.

Hello hello successnowhere, thanks thanks. :)/> i like yours too and the centipede mini bamboo looks so cute. i dun think i hv seen them before. can they grow in enclose terrariums? I like the mushrooms too. where did u get the decos from? and the glass containers? im nt very creative in this and so the patterns are always the same thing. :(/>

i went to Giant at Vivo to chk the plants but think there was only one kind, the red ones and they had big leaves. So that's why I went to IKEA to get coz I got the smaller leaves ones from there for my first two terrariums. But when i was there, almost all the pots there had big, tall fittonia so no choice and bought them for my terrariums.

gotto admit that im the kancheong kind, also coz i will be away next thu onwards for 11 days so wanted to quickly finish up the terrariums so i can give away the birthday one before my trip and the farewell one right after my trip. as for the xmas ones, tho' there are still time, i thot i might as well do them too and let the terrariums stablise.

to tell the truth, i still prefer my first two most. hehe...

hope to see more members posting phtotos of their terrariums too. we can share ideas and tips on the setting up as well as where to get materials.

This post has been edited by lolandra: 18 November 2011 - 08:29 PM

#6 User is offline   successnowhere 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:23 PM

Hi Iolandra,

Thanks for your compliments. I am still working out on my Terrarium project with my web designer who is also my partner now, most probably will launch my Terrarium website live next week if not by end of the month. Really hope to see members here to give me the fullest support and valuable comments or feedback thru facebook.

The reason why am I sudden go into Terrarium is partly my outdoor balcony already no space to put in additional plants and those mealy really give me big headache as I need to destroy most of my episcais again during September. During the past few months, I have been do research and study into details on the growing of Terrarium, Mr. Wilson - our boss also did give me some advice on Terrarium. As you all will know my pattern, anything I start, I like to do alot, so now those Terrariums are lying everywhere in my house. After some planning and discussion with my friend who is a web designer, I decided to come out some design to share with everyone. Gardening is my passion and hobby and I do forecast that Terrarium will be our next trend in growing plants....

Thanks.

#7 User is offline   lolandra 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

View Postsuccessnowhere, on 18 November 2011 - 10:23 PM, said:

Hi Iolandra,

Thanks for your compliments. I am still working out on my Terrarium project with my web designer who is also my partner now, most probably will launch my Terrarium website live next week if not by end of the month. Really hope to see members here to give me the fullest support and valuable comments or feedback thru facebook.

The reason why am I sudden go into Terrarium is partly my outdoor balcony already no space to put in additional plants and those mealy really give me big headache as I need to destroy most of my episcais again during September. During the past few months, I have been do research and study into details on the growing of Terrarium, Mr. Wilson - our boss also did give me some advice on Terrarium. As you all will know my pattern, anything I start, I like to do alot, so now those Terrariums are lying everywhere in my house. After some planning and discussion with my friend who is a web designer, I decided to come out some design to share with everyone. Gardening is my passion and hobby and I do forecast that Terrarium will be our next trend in growing plants....

Thanks.

O.o wow! neat! i think your terrarium is good for selling. can consider. ;)/>

"Mr. Wilson - our boss" -- ok, im officially confused.

yep, i also think that its gg to the in-thing, esp for office workers who hardly see any green during work. and most of the time, they hardly lunch out so having a terrarium in the office will help to relax the eyes and the mind. at least i know it does for me... hehe..

look forward to your new website!

#8 User is offline   successnowhere 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:39 AM

Aiya! What I meant 'Boss' here means GCS Forum founder. So, Mr. Wilson is our boss = Founder of the GCS. Understand? Sorry to confuse you.

He did told me that not all plants can be used for Terrarium.

I treat every single piece of Terrarium in my house now is a piece of Art, I am the designer of the Art. Whether can sell or not is not a big issue.

#9 User is offline   lolandra 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

View Postsuccessnowhere, on 19 November 2011 - 02:39 AM, said:

Aiya! What I meant 'Boss' here means GCS Forum founder. So, Mr. Wilson is our boss = Founder of the GCS. Understand? Sorry to confuse you.

He did told me that not all plants can be used for Terrarium.

I treat every single piece of Terrarium in my house now is a piece of Art, I am the designer of the Art. Whether can sell or not is not a big issue.

hahaha... paiseh paiseh... this just shows that im still not familiar with the around-here to know the lingo. ="<

ic... so far i only know fittonia and they are the most easliy accessible type given they are sold in common places. some other members did suggest other plants the other time i asked but i just dunno where to find or how they look like base on the name they hv given.

wow... im really impressed and cant wait to see all your art pieces. :flowers:/>

really envy members with lots of space and bright environment. I only hv my small utility room to play with and i cannot convert the whole thing to a mini garden coz still nd space to hang clothes. oops... :hitmyself:/>

#10 User is offline   kuxz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:16 PM

View Postsuccessnowhere, on 18 November 2011 - 04:51 PM, said:

Hi lolandra,

What are the media that you use for the fittiona terrarium?
Only soil?

#11 User is offline   lolandra 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:37 PM

View Postkuxz, on 10 December 2011 - 01:16 PM, said:

What are the media that you use for the fittiona terrarium?
Only soil?

The first layer is pebbles, followed by charcoal, the last layer is the soil for mine, if u wanna know. Hehe...

This post has been edited by lolandra: 11 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

#12 User is offline   kuxz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:20 AM

View Postlolandra, on 11 December 2011 - 12:37 PM, said:

The first layer is pebbles, followed by charcoal, the last layer is the soil for mine, if u wanna know. Hehe...

Pebbles on the bottom, charcoal in the middle and soil is the upper most layer right? What type of charcoal do you use? Is it normal or gardening charcoal? Thanks.

#13 User is offline   lolandra 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:28 AM

View Postkuxz, on 12 December 2011 - 01:20 AM, said:

Pebbles on the bottom, charcoal in the middle and soil is the upper most layer right? What type of charcoal do you use? Is it normal or gardening charcoal? Thanks.

Hi, yes, that was what I meant. i used those that people buy to put in their cupboards to get rid of smell and moisture. they are available in daiso. the last i was there, i also saw garden charcoal. if u used charcoal often for gardening, better to get those coz they come in bigger packs.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users