GCS Forum: Daun Kencur (sand ginger) - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Daun Kencur (sand ginger) UK update with pics and harvesting advice needed

#1 User is offline   rob600 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

Hey guys I just wanted to give you an update on some plants ive been growing here in the UK and also get some advice on when to harvest the Rhizomes.

I took a trip to tekka market last time i was in singapore in january this year in search of some good rhizomes for growing. I brought them back home to London in the hope of growing them indoors.
(the outside temperature was below zero!)

I potted and kept the rhizomes indoors for months but nothing really seemed to happen and I almost gave up on them, some of the rhizomes did not grow at all and seemed to die off. It wasn’t until about 4 months later when the rhizomes began to show very slow signs of growth as the temperature slowly got better and we were getting more hours of daylight. By summer we were getting better weather so I moved the plants to my conservatory where it gets nice and hot during the day and there is a good amount of filtered natural light.

The plants have grown well...see the pictures here:

progress pics

It is now autumn and soon to be winter so the temperatures are beginning to drop and the hours of daylight are less. I plan to try and keep some of the plants in a grow tent to get them through the cold winter season but I also want to harvest some of the roots and use in my cooking.

I am unsure of how to get the best out of the roots. Currently I’m watering the plants once every 2-3 days and they seem pretty healthy. In order to get some good rhizomes I read somewhere that I should reduce the frequency that I water the plants so the leaves reduce in size and rhizomes increase in size before harvesting them? Or do I just carry on watering as normal and dig up some of the roots when I want to use them? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

This post has been edited by rob600: 09 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

#2 User is offline   Mamat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Plants, Cats, Fish

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:07 AM

hw r the kencur now?? still ok?

#3 User is offline   Shireen 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

View Postrob600, on 06 October 2011 - 07:03 PM, said:

Hey guys I just wanted to give you an update on some plants ive been growing here in the UK and also get some advice on when to harvest the Rhizomes.

I took a trip to tekka market last time i was in singapore in january this year in search of some good rhizomes for growing. I brought them back home to London in the hope of growing them indoors.
(the outside temperature was below zero!)

I potted and kept the rhizomes indoors for months but nothing really seemed to happen and I almost gave up on them, some of the rhizomes did not grow at all and seemed to die off. It wasn’t until about 4 months later when the rhizomes began to show very slow signs of growth as the temperature slowly got better and we were getting more hours of daylight. By summer we were getting better weather so I moved the plants to my conservatory where it gets nice and hot during the day and there is a good amount of filtered natural light.

The plants have grown well...see the pictures here:

progress pics

It is now autumn and soon to be winter so the temperatures are beginning to drop and the hours of daylight are less. I plan to try and keep some of the plants in a grow tent to get them through the cold winter season but I also want to harvest some of the roots and use in my cooking.

I am unsure of how to get the best out of the roots. Currently I’m watering the plants once every 2-3 days and they seem pretty healthy. In order to get some good rhizomes I read somewhere that I should reduce the frequency that I water the plants so the leaves reduce in size and rhizomes increase in size before harvesting them? Or do I just carry on watering as normal and dig up some of the roots when I want to use them? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

It seems to me that as it is winter and the plant does not do at all well in the cold, that you would have to reduce watering quite a bit or they may rot. I am not too sure how a grow tent works, though. Over here, I grow them in pots and use the leaves rather than the roots, which are bigger when the plants are older. When you dig up the roots, you could always replant those that you do not use so as to get new plants? Anyway, you would need to divide the plants once they get big and outgrow their containers. I find bonemeal helpful.

#4 User is offline   rob600 

• PipPip

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

Hey Guys thanks for the replies,

Well the average temperatures here are now around 10-12 degrees celcisus ans lower during the night and average hours of daylight are reduced
as a result ive reduced the watering frequency down to about once every 10 days or so

the larger plants still seem to be managing but the leaves are starting to brown on the edges. see pics
bigger plants

the smaller plants are not doing as well, the leaves are starting to loose their deep green colour ans several of the leaves have shrunk away and turned brown which you can see below

smaller plants in grow tent

ive put these ones in a grow tent which will hopefully provide enought light and heat required to bring them back to full strength before i split the plants and keep some for cooking.

#5 User is offline   johnson smith 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, Making this world green and beauty.

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

Hey rob,
I am growing my plants hydroponically, should this use in Hydroponic method?

As Hydroponic method doesn't need soil and can work in any temperature!

http://www.advancednutrients.com/article_pics/lettuce-hydro-two-tanks.jpg

http://www.hydroponicssupplies.co/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/hydroponic-cabbage-150x150.png

http://www.hydroponicssupplies.co/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Hydroponic-growing-300x251.jpg

#6 User is offline   rob600 

• PipPip

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:30 AM

View Postjohnson smith, on 29 November 2011 - 10:57 PM, said:

Hey rob,
I am growing my plants hydroponically, should this use in Hydroponic method?

As Hydroponic method doesn't need soil and can work in any temperature!

http://www.advancednutrients.com/article_pics/lettuce-hydro-two-tanks.jpg

http://www.hydroponicssupplies.co/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/hydroponic-cabbage-150x150.png

http://www.hydroponicssupplies.co/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Hydroponic-growing-300x251.jpg

Hi Johnson,

Thanks for the post.

Im new to te world of hydropnics but ive been doing some research and i have been planning to grow these plants hyroponically but dont have all the answers yet.

I plan to transfer the gingers to a hydroponic system once i get it set up. Ive not found much information about growing root vegetables like ginger hyroponically so it will be a bit of an experiment for me.
Do you have any advice for growing ginger hydroponically?

I planned try a drip irrigation system. For the growing medium, coco fibre seems to be the most commonly mentioned growing medium for plants like ginger so i though i would try using this. The only thing i wasnt sure about is how long the coco fibre lasts as i beleive it is not inorganinc like other growing mediums.

Also going back you your comment on hydro systems working in any temperature. So are you saying that provided the hydro system is all set up correcly and the nutrient levels are correct and all the variables such as light/water etc are all correct, you can succesfully grow plants and yield crops regardless of temperature??

thanks
Rob

This post has been edited by rob600: 11 December 2011 - 02:44 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users