Stevia plant

#1 User is offline   sharon123 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:anything to do with health

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:45 PM

hi,
I have just learnt of a plant named Stevia.
It is 200 to 300 sweeter than sugar! and it is natural!!
http://www.healthgur...ased-sweetener/

I googled and I am glad that such plants can grow quite well in our local climate. Anyone know where to buy such plant?

thanks!

#2 User is offline   sharon123 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:anything to do with health

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:48 PM

hi,
I have just found a post earlier on stevia plant. now, how do i delete this thread of mine?

The strange thing is that before I started this thread, i used the "search" function for "stevia" and it showed nothing.

This post has been edited by sharon123: 04 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

#3 User is offline   Heian Edenwood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:06 AM

Where'd you find the post on stevia? I'm kinda looking for the plant, myself.

Where'd you find the post on stevia? I'm kinda looking for the plant, myself.

#4 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

World Farm should have stevias for sale. The last time I was there a few years back, they had two kinds for sale. Call them up to check first.

Sky

#5 User is offline   Heian Edenwood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:04 AM

Thanks for the info sky!

#6 User is offline   jzkv98 

• Pip

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

I have many stevia plants, all started from seeds. Order some seeds, fill a pot with a good quality potting soil and moisten it. Sprinkle the seeds over the soil but do not cover them. They need light to germinate. You will begin to notice very small, very bright green specks in a few days. These are your stevia seedlings. When you water them do so by misting the soil, not the plants. Once they are a couple of inches tall you can water them in a normal manner.
I have had problems when ordering plants due to the difference in weather conditions between where they were started and where I live. To eliminate this problem I started my own seeds. I had much better results.
I have also found that my seed-started plants seem to be more winter-hardy; they come back each spring even though they are supposed to die when the temperature falls below 40 degrees F. I have some extra seeds, but I don't know if it is legal to mail them across the big pond.

#7 User is offline   johnson smith 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, Making this world green and beauty.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:09 AM

Everybody can enjoy stevia farming whether you are leaving in confines of apartment or condominium. Hydroponic gardening makes possible to have unforgettable experience of Stevia farming. These stevia plants can be grown hydroponically either in small pots at your home or any sunny friendly hydroponic room.

A properly fertilized hydroponic unit or container garden can provide you with as much Stevia as an outdoor garden, if not more.

I am going to share some snaps of my kids(Plants)which are having fun at my little garden palace.

http://www.advancednutrients.com/article_pics/lettuce-hydro-two-tanks.jpg

http://www.homehydroponics.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/home-hydroponics-setup2.jpg

This post has been edited by johnson smith: 01 December 2011 - 01:10 AM

#8 User is offline   herbaldiet 

• Pip

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

Absolutely Sharon. This plan is useful for people who are not allowed to have sugar or other sweet products.

#9 User is offline   Click 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Only Edibles -- fruits, veggies, plants and herbs please.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

View Postjzkv98, on 30 November 2011 - 02:33 PM, said:

I have many stevia plants, all started from seeds. Order some seeds, fill a pot with a good quality potting soil and moisten it. Sprinkle the seeds over the soil but do not cover them. They need light to germinate. You will begin to notice very small, very bright green specks in a few days. These are your stevia seedlings. When you water them do so by misting the soil, not the plants. Once they are a couple of inches tall you can water them in a normal manner.
I have had problems when ordering plants due to the difference in weather conditions between where they were started and where I live. To eliminate this problem I started my own seeds. I had much better results.
I have also found that my seed-started plants seem to be more winter-hardy; they come back each spring even though they are supposed to die when the temperature falls below 40 degrees F. I have some extra seeds, but I don't know if it is legal to mail them across the big pond.

Thanks for the tip! I have many stevia seeds but never managed to grow even one of them!
Will try your method soon.

Is there another way to propagate stevia? By planting a branch or something? Anyone can help?
Thanks!

#10 User is offline   SalmanTropical 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Subtropical plants and love all plants

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

You can propagate stevia from cuttings.
However, the sweetness will gradually become reduced.
Best way to propagate is by saving seeds from your sweetest stevia plants and then grow them.

Salman

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users