Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bread

#1 User is offline   newbie123 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

I made bread a few days ago but after proofing the bread for 1 1/2 hrs(recipe said so) the dough smells fermented like alcohol. i used active dry yeast. When i baked it the smell was in the bread and it tasted horrible. how do i get rid of the smell?

#2 User is offline   Shireen 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

View Postnewbie123, on 21 September 2011 - 10:49 AM, said:

I made bread a few days ago but after proofing the bread for 1 1/2 hrs(recipe said so) the dough smells fermented like alcohol. i used active dry yeast. When i baked it the smell was in the bread and it tasted horrible. how do i get rid of the smell?

When I use active dry yeast, the brand that I choose is a European one called DCL in a red and white tin. The one time I used a local brand it turned out badly. I keep the tin in the freezer and it lasts years.

In addition, I never follow the amounts recommended by the recipe because the writers generally live in cooler climates which causes the yeast to be less active. If 1 tablespoon is recommended in the recipe, I will use 3/4 tablespoon. In our warm weather, this is usually enough and the bread will rise as fast or even faster than the recommended times. For most breads, the rising time is about an hour which is enough for the bread to double if it is a simple loaf without too many additions. I tablespoon is a precise measure, by the way, and you should not guesstimate but use a proper measuring spoon.

When the dough is about double the size it was originally, then it is ready for the next step, whatever the time it took to get there. Sometimes, my bread can double in less than an hour. This is not so good, actually, and a slower rising time is preferable for a better taste. I put my bread in an aircon room if one happens to be on. A sweet bread that has a lot of butter, milk etc. should never be more than double as that would mean that there is over-rising (logical, right? The part that the yeast must act on is the flour.)

My guess is that you may have used too much yeast?

#3 User is offline   micheal78 

• Pip
  • Interests:Games

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

Add less amount of yeast next time.

#4 User is offline   Tarence 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Love all unusual plants generally but currently into Cps....cheers folks

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

I tried making my own bread previously without a good mixer. Always failed no matter what even though I went for classes. Reason : I couldn`t knead the dough well.

After failing for like 10 consecutive times & wasting a lot of flour + $$$, I invested in a breakmaker ( Breville, an Oz brand ) & we`ve been making seriously scrumptious bakery-quality bread ever since. + bun dough, pasta dough etc. I follow the exact amount of yeast in the recipes given & it works out fine.

#5 User is offline   selele 

• Pip

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

interesting hehe... good luck for the next time

#6 User is offline   Tarence 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Love all unusual plants generally but currently into Cps....cheers folks

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Shireen , btw, whi is a slower rising time better for taste ? The texture comes out better ?

#7 User is offline   wellythompson 

• PipPip

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:44 AM

It was incredible!! I've tried some many recipes but never made as good a loaf as the one I made today. Kneeding for 10 minutes did it. I never kneeded that long before and the bread always had a focchia type crumb. This truely was bread. My partner tasted one bite and said "this tastes like some really good white bread", end quote.

#8 User is offline   simchoonseng 

• PipPip

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

Tried no knead bread and it was great! Try it ;)/>
http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users