Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:24 PM
Off topic: found a worm escape from the bin this morning. Ants were crowding around it. going mad!!! how come my worms are escaping?
Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:16 PM
1. What is your purpose of starting a compost bin?
2. Who did you get the worms from? I ask this because, instead of waiting to get answers from this forum, which you may receive after a few days, your worms supplier should provide you with information on how to care for your worms. If not call him for help. He should provide you this service!!
3. 60 worms for a compost bin, in my experience is something that I have not come acrossed. Normally, we are talking in a range of 500 to 1000 worms.
4. Ants control is simple, keep your worm bedding moist but not too wet. The best way is to cover it with newspaper. If it is dry, or not moist enough the ants would come. The best way to ensure that the bin is not too wet is to have a proper drainage.
5. worms would normally try to move out from areas that they are not happy with, so if you are seeing your worms moving out of your bin, it is likely that they are not happy and something is wrong with the system. However, there are some compost worms that will move everywhere without a reason.
Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:50 PM
Next time ask for at least 1.5 to 3kg of worm bedding that the worm came from. This allows the worms a place to hide and feel safe if they are not happy with the bin environment and the new food.
There are a number of members in this forum that have worm bins, hopefully they can sell the extra worms to you at a much lower price. I get 1000 worms for $10 in Perth.
Another source is Organic origins. Call to check the price.