GCS Forum: Aloe Vera - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Aloe Vera Propagation

#1 User is offline   Rygalin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:36 AM

I have an Aloe vera plant given to me by my neighbour. May I know what is the best way to propagate it? Also, is it safe to consume the pulp and what is best way? Do I blend it?Thanks.

#2 User is offline   exotic n easy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:nature, tradition, theosophy, art, creation, design...

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

How to best propogate it:
removal and planting out of offsets around it in 40/60 sand/compost mix. Those without roots can be planted too--they will not take long to develop roots.

It is safe to eat the gel, so long as you remove the green-yellow slime around it.
Here's how I eat it:
-slice away the green skin and cut it into chunks
-place the chunks in a plastic basket and soak them in water, washing gently till there is no more green-yellow slime
-place the chunks in water and cook with rock sugar/ honey till the rock sugar melt
-let it cool out, then refrigerate it
-squeeze in some lime and add some ice before serving

This post has been edited by exotic n easy: 18 August 2011 - 12:39 PM

#3 User is offline   Rygalin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:06 PM

View Postexotic n easy, on 18 August 2011 - 12:28 PM, said:

removal and planting out of offsets around it in 40/60 sand/compost mix. Those without roots can be planted too--they will not take long to develop roots.

It is safe to eat the gel, so long as you remove the green-yellow slime around it.
Here's how I eat it:
-place the chunks in a plastic basket and soak them in water, washing gently till there is no more green-yellow slime
-place the chunks in water and cook with rock sugar/ honey till the rock sugar melt

Thank you !

#4 User is offline   lydialynn 

• Pip

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

There are several benefits of Aloe vera. It is one of the natural products which are not only effective for the skin but also prevents us from several health disease. You can find more Aloe Vera benefits here.

#5 User is offline   bridgehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

Here's how I eat it:

Hi
I just got a Aloe Vera plant and saw your post. When u mentioned the soil mix, can the sand part be volcanic sand? If no, should I get " mixed soil"?

Bridgehouse

#6 User is offline   Lionel Teng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Plants that I started growing:

Herbs:
    Climbing Gyruna, Rose Catcus, Cat's Whisker
    Plantain Herbs, Chinese Knotweed, Patchouli

Culinary Herbs:
    Thyme, Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Bay Leaf and Lemon Myrtle, Mint including Bergamot Mint, Tashkent Mint Corn Mint.Mexican Tarragon

Currently Growing: Orchid Both Sun Loving and Shade Loving

Including:

Hybird
    LC,Laeliocattleya BLC, Brassolaeliocattleya

Brassavola Codrata

and also Jewel Orchids including Macodes Lowii,
    Anoectochilus Formansanus and also Roxburghii

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

it can growth on any type of soil best if you use the soil that you familliar with and also with determination it might bloom flower after a long time cause olden days my neighbour aloe vera has bloom 2-3 time

#7 User is offline   RosaMills 

• Pip

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

Aloe vera did so much change in my skin for the past 12 years, aloe vera soap and even lotion are great especially when Aloe vera for hair are out in the market. Only few people knows this but I recommend this one to all.

#8 User is offline   Green_noob 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

i saw supermarket got sell aloe vera, so meaning i can buy it n plant? how do i know it will grow roots?

#9 User is offline   hogsforce 

• PipPip

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

Have a pot of aloe vera that I grew for about a year. When I bought it it was baby size, now its so big that I can finally harvest them for desert making.

But something weird happen. The aloe vera looks normal. But after cooking (with some rock sugar and nothing else), the soup turned pinkish red! The aloe still remain translucent, just the entire soup based turn pinkish. It taste normal and nothing out of the ordinary. But just the look abit weird.

Anyone encounter this before and perhaps can shed some information on why its like this?

#10 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

View Posthogsforce, on 16 May 2014 - 03:10 PM, said:

Have a pot of aloe vera that I grew for about a year. When I bought it it was baby size, now its so big that I can finally harvest them for desert making.

But something weird happen. The aloe vera looks normal. But after cooking (with some rock sugar and nothing else), the soup turned pinkish red! The aloe still remain translucent, just the entire soup based turn pinkish. It taste normal and nothing out of the ordinary. But just the look abit weird.

Anyone encounter this before and perhaps can shed some information on why its like this?

Shouldn't happen. Got a pic?

#11 User is offline   hogsforce 

• PipPip

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:53 AM

Nope. Didnt take pic.
:(/>

#12 User is offline   mintygarden 

• Pip

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

hogsforce, i also encountered such problem. I google it and there are two school of thoughts. One say its impurities. The other say its vitamins. So see which one u want to believe ;)/>

#13 User is offline   HenryH 

• PipPip

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:57 AM

Here's how I eat it:

thanks for the advice. will grow this this weekend too. remember when i was young and got burn by hot water, grandma will take 1 fresh aloe vera and apply to my wound to relieve it.
sooo useful!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users