It is based on instructions from:
1. http://www.instructa...ing-and-easy-s/ and
Instead of building a wooden frame (like in Instructables), I used Ikea Antonius parts (like in rkimedes.livejournal.com) to construct the frame.
I chose to make a worm bag as I could sew and had access to a sewing machine. The size could also be customized accordingly.
What my worm bin looks like:
How the worm bag is attached to the wire basket:
How the worm bin is covered:
I did not make a cover in the beginning and had many fruit flies visiting my bin as a result. After covering the top with a netting, my fruit fly problem was greatly reduced.
Loosened drawstring to harvest castings:
I find that the castings are light and fluffy. They keep soil aerated plus retain water well when I add them to my plants.
Castings has lots of visible eggshell fragments as I was too lazy to grind it up. http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m495/yiid/felt%20worm%20bin/2011-07-21131823.jpg?t=1311237495
Some observations from using the fabric worm bag for 7 months.
1. Able to deal with all the kitchen scraps produced by a family of 5. Does not turn sour if I add enough browns. I think that the aeration provided by the fabric keeps the worms active and prevents the decomposition of food from turning anaerobic easily.
2. At first I was afraid that mold would grow on the felt since it is constantly moist. So far, I have not had any problems with mold.
3. The contents of the worm bin do not all fall out when the drawstring is loosened as contents are moist and tends to clump together.
4. Easy to harvest and produces lots of castings. There was a time when I could harvest castings every 3 or 4 days.
5. Easy to care for. I just water it with a watering can once a week.
6. Does not produce leechate, so there is no liquid to pour away regularly.
The only problem is that it is HUGE. I made a smaller and improved version recently. Will post pics later.
This post has been edited by yiid: 25 July 2011 - 12:11 AM