GCS Forum: My pertunia seeds have sprout - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

My pertunia seeds have sprout how to control water level?

#1 User is offline   aquareef 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:53 PM

My Horti petunia seeds have finally sprout after a week. I'm seeing tiny hair of growth coming out. I've follow the instruction to remove the cover of my plastic container.

My question is, how do i know if the pot is due for watering? I'm currently using a spray bottle and spray a tiny bit of water per day. I'm scared to over or under water. How do i know if i have water enough?

I cannot stick my finger into the potting mix as the new growth is way too fragile.

Please help. Thanks.

#2 User is offline   aquareef 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:50 AM

Anyone?

#3 User is offline   Il Pirata 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Low Maintenance plants which do well in a very limited space on a HDB corridor that receives seasonal sunlight

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:01 AM

I normally use peatpots on trays to germinate seedlings of petunia etc in florabella peatmoss. With a bit of morning sun and generous daily morning water spraying, they grow quickly. Within 3 weeks their roots start to poke out of the peat pot and i plonk the entire pot into the final growing pot. Success rate this way is very high, but need to spend $2 on peatpots (Daiso has lots of cheap peatpots). Once in the plastic pot, water only if the soil dries out. Its safer to underwater than overwater. Make sure you use lighter medium.

#4 User is offline   aquareef 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:13 AM

View PostIl Pirata, on 30 May 2011 - 11:01 AM, said:

I normally use peatpots on trays to germinate seedlings of petunia etc in florabella peatmoss. With a bit of morning sun and generous daily morning water spraying, they grow quickly. Within 3 weeks their roots start to poke out of the peat pot and i plonk the entire pot into the final growing pot. Success rate this way is very high, but need to spend $2 on peatpots (Daiso has lots of cheap peatpots). Once in the plastic pot, water only if the soil dries out. Its safer to underwater than overwater. Make sure you use lighter medium.

Il Pirata,

Thanks for the reply. Is there any reason to use peatpots instead of normal small plastic pot? You are right that it is safer to underwater than overwater. Controlling the amount of moisture is my biggest headache now while trying to grow the sprout.

Thanks.

#5 User is offline   fluffymutt 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Registered Merchant

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

Lol this is a really late reply but I hope it may be useful still. Using the daiso cardboard pots means you can just bury the whole pot in the soil mix of the new pot. With normal plastic pot (I assume for seeds you'll use thumbpots) there will be more transplanting shock and higher risk of damaging the seedling esp the roots.

#6 User is offline   Jambu 

• Pip

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

Try cardboard egg crates too. They work just as well :-D and it's free!

This post has been edited by Jambu: 14 August 2011 - 02:06 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users