GCS Forum: Very expensive watering - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Very expensive watering 3 spoon of water nearly kill the plant

#1 User is offline   aquareef 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

I bought 3 pots of Gerbera from nurseries. Prior to this, i did all the researching and read every thread on GCS to make sure i fully understand Gerbera.

I placed the Gerbera in a shaded location at my car porch to make sure no direct sunlight that could burn the plant. I also understand that they do not like wet feet. So I've been very careful to keep it dry. I did not water for 2 days, and plant was doing well.

On the 3rd day, i use a small long nose watering can to water the place. The amount of water i put was no more than 3 spoon per pot.

On the 4th day, all of the flower started to bend over, the stem became so soft it was like cooked noodle. I used a satay stick to keep them up, but after 2 days, they are still the same. Is this the beginning of the end?

Now i know why people say they only use spray can to spray the leaves. It was so silly of me.

Anyone can help?

#2 User is offline   lavendergarden 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Associate Member
  • Interests:Lover of Lavenders. Huge Country Music Fan. Endorphin Junkie.

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

View Postaquareef, on 17 May 2011 - 12:48 PM, said:

I bought 3 pots of Gerbera from nurseries. Prior to this, i did all the researching and read every thread on GCS to make sure i fully understand Gerbera.

I placed the Gerbera in a shaded location at my car porch to make sure no direct sunlight that could burn the plant. I also understand that they do not like wet feet. So I've been very careful to keep it dry. I did not water for 2 days, and plant was doing well.

On the 3rd day, i use a small long nose watering can to water the place. The amount of water i put was no more than 3 spoon per pot.

On the 4th day, all of the flower started to bend over, the stem became so soft it was like cooked noodle. I used a satay stick to keep them up, but after 2 days, they are still the same. Is this the beginning of the end?

Now i know why people say they only use spray can to spray the leaves. It was so silly of me.

Anyone can help?

Im guessing your gerbera doesnt have enough to drink. On my end here, they get lots of water every morning and they are out in full sun. U didnt water for 2 days and on the 3rd day its only gets 3 spoons? I think its way too little. Give it a good drink and place it out in the sun and see what happens. :)/>

#3 User is offline   dabbid 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Fragrant flowers or vines, plants that bloom non-stop, rapid growers.

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:35 PM

View Postlavendergarden, on 17 May 2011 - 01:19 PM, said:

Im guessing your gerbera doesnt have enough to drink. On my end here, they get lots of water every morning and they are out in full sun. U didnt water for 2 days and on the 3rd day its only gets 3 spoons? I think its way too little. Give it a good drink and place it out in the sun and see what happens. :)/>

hi,
i have to agree with lavendergarden.
they'll do ok in full morning sun.... but need to have adequate watering (just don't drench the crown too much)...
on the plus side, they can rebound quite quickly from being too dry but giving them a good drink.

hope it helps.
cheers

#4 User is offline   aquareef 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:01 PM

Thanks Bros,

You have saved my plants. Your are both correct. It seems that my gerbera are doing better after given a good drink. However the stem is still soft. Is this ever going to recover?

In the future, should I water once every 2 days like the nursery suggested or water every day?

#5 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

my Gerbera is full afternoon sun! It will not sun burn the plant.water is very essential. Either you water a lot or you dont water at all.

#6 User is offline   dabbid 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Fragrant flowers or vines, plants that bloom non-stop, rapid growers.

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:25 PM

View Postaquareef, on 17 May 2011 - 04:01 PM, said:

Thanks Bros,

You have saved my plants. Your are both correct. It seems that my gerbera are doing better after given a good drink. However the stem is still soft. Is this ever going to recover?

In the future, should I water once every 2 days like the nursery suggested or water every day?

i think it depends on how much sun/heat it's exposed to, and the size of yr pot too. given the same plant size, the smaller the pot, the more frequent u need to water.

you can experiment with one good watering and see how long it takes before the plant a bit looks tired (ie the flower stem wilts a bit)... i think that's the best gauge... then just time yr watering so that they don't have to go thru this stress cycle over and over. but bear in mind that it can also look tired just from heat stress even if soil is wet... then don't worry lah.. that one, by night time will recover one.

about whether the stem will recover, give it overnight and see.... if not, no worries... there will be many future blooms! :flowers:/>

cheers, and good luck

#7 User is offline   aquareef 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:12 AM

View Postdabbid, on 17 May 2011 - 05:25 PM, said:

i think it depends on how much sun/heat it's exposed to, and the size of yr pot too. given the same plant size, the smaller the pot, the more frequent u need to water.

you can experiment with one good watering and see how long it takes before the plant a bit looks tired (ie the flower stem wilts a bit)... i think that's the best gauge... then just time yr watering so that they don't have to go thru this stress cycle over and over. but bear in mind that it can also look tired just from heat stress even if soil is wet... then don't worry lah.. that one, by night time will recover one.

about whether the stem will recover, give it overnight and see.... if not, no worries... there will be many future blooms! :flowers:/>

cheers, and good luck

Dabbid,

I have learned a great deal from you guys. Thanks for all the help.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users