GCS Forum: Propagate Red Palm - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Propagate Red Palm can this be done?

#1 User is offline   aquareef 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

I have a small red palm growing out from the mother palm. Can i propagate it by cutting away the small red palm (and hopefully include some of the root)?

Will the small red palm survive?

BTW, what is the official name of red palm? I can't find it on the net.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx70/aquareef12345/Gardening/ResizeofRotationofIMG_0325.jpg

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:03 PM

Cyrtostachys renda, commonly known as lipstick palm or sealing wax palm.

#3 User is offline   leancl 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

I think you can try but unless you get sufficient root, it may not survive.

For plantlets that I want to propagate, I will usually remove them when they are smaller: more root to plant ratio. For larger plants you may not be able to get sufficient root out of the ground.

Just my 2 sen....

#4 User is offline   Mae 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:09 AM

Chances of it surviving is very, very low. Don`t try,you end up killing it instead!

#5 User is offline   kw3822 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Registered Merchant

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:08 AM

from what i know they do that in muar years ago when the price was good.
you got to wait for it to get bigger as smaller suckers will die due to lack of roots and you also need a good shade and lots of watering.

#6 User is offline   aquareef 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

View PostMae, on 24 March 2011 - 12:09 AM, said:

Chances of it surviving is very, very low. Don`t try,you end up killing it instead!

Is this true? Can someone help to confirm as I have just brought out my saw and ready to put it undergo the operation.

#7 User is offline   leancl 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:39 PM

Your mother plant should not have any problems assuming that you do not cut too much into it. It's only the sapling that's the issue.

In my experience, when I have broken pots (I prefer my plants in pots...) of these sealing wax palms, I would separate the plants into different pots, depending on how many stems there are and whether the roots allow easy sawing. This means that I saw through the root area to get a decent amount of root for each stem or each group of stem. Success rate is more than 75% for me when I separate my mature plants. In the same process I would get many plantlets from 3 inches or so right to 3 feet. The problem with these plantlets is that they typically do not have that much root directly attached to them as they are connected to the main root system. Even so, success rate is estimated from 25% (for smaller ones) to 50% (for larger ones) for me. Remember that I usually do these from broken pot plants which means that I can saw off what I think is sufficient roots for each plantlet where necessary.

Plantlets pulled directly from pots (I used to do that quite often as I prefer fewer numbers of stems rather than a bushier plant) can also be successfully propagated, but requires sufficient roots. In most cases I discard most pulled plantlets as I find that propagating through more mature plants (sawed with sufficient roots) is both faster and offers better success rates.

#8 User is offline   samuelphan 

• Pip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

It is not easy to propagate lipstick palm using your intended method. As mentioned by many, the plantlets usually don't carry enough roots to allow them to establish themselves well in the new pot. The roots are usually short, stumpy and hard. I have tried numerous times in the past, only being successful about 20% - 30% of the time.

Nowadays, I find it easier to just look under my matured mother plants for tiny plantlets grown from seeds.

If you still plan to go ahead with your operation, go for those that have the root area under the surface of the soil. It probably stands better chance having roots that are viable. Those plants that you find sticking out from the sides and above ground, probably won't work.

#9 User is offline   eekia 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:00 AM

use changkul?? instead of a saw..

many many years back my cousin (fm singapore)propagated a lipstick palm for our garden back home in malaysia.

I only saw him wif that changkul came back after hunting in our kampung.

and is alive till now..more than 20 years

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users