GCS Forum: Mint in Singapore? - GCS Forum

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2

Mint in Singapore? Can it really grow?

#1 User is offline   choodah 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 59
  • Joined: 14-June 09

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:55 AM

Hi herb experts,
Can we really grow mint here? Tried several times when I was living in HKG...alright during winter, but as soon as the weather gets hot the plant goes gangly and the leaves become really tough and tiny. At the moment got Bay, Rosemary, Sage, Basil, Oregano and Dill growing in the garden, but I wouldn't say they are thriving.... Saw a fresh batch of mint at the garden center the other day, really tempted...should I?

Cheers,
Choodah
0

#2 User is offline   skyfiery 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2513
  • Joined: 19-May 08
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Singapore
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

Hi choodah,

Mint can definitely be grown here, and in many cases, will thrive. Others, and I, have grown various species of mint without much problem other than the fact that spider mites are attracted to them during the hot and dry weather.

Sky
0

#3 User is offline   Abby Lim 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6061
  • Joined: 17-July 08
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Bukit Merah
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

View Postskyfiery, on 18 March 2011 - 12:22 PM, said:

Hi choodah,

Mint can definitely be grown here, and in many cases, will thrive. Others, and I, have grown various species of mint without much problem other than the fact that spider mites are attracted to them during the hot and dry weather.

Sky


A lot of mint are doing very well here, friends from GCS bot those from Hortpark and they grow like a bush now.
0

#4 User is offline   ButterflyPea 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 420
  • Joined: 07-June 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Hillview

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:53 PM

Hi choodah, I'm growing mint. A couple of my neighbours are growing them too. ;)/>
0

#5 User is offline   Chawanmushi 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2116
  • Joined: 11-February 06
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Hougang
  • Interests:Trying to get green things to grow at Chawan's Landing!

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

I have grown mints and basils without any problem. These herbs need at least 4-6 hours of sunlight for them to grow well. Some mints like the chocolate mints prefer less direct sunlight. Just need to know which ones.
The thing with mints and basils ... you need to trim them often to get them to grow real bushy. If the flowers of the basils are allowed to form, that means they will deteriorate soon. So you need to cut away the flowers to get them to continue growing or regenerate for you.

As for rosemary .... and the other medittarenean herbs ... these are more tricky to grow in our weather but not impossible. They need well drain rich soil, direct sunlight for some hours but they don't like the heat here.So if you can provide these conditions, they will grow well for you.

Happy growing your herbs!

This post has been edited by Chawanmushi: 18 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

0

#6 User is offline   skyfiery 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2513
  • Joined: 19-May 08
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Singapore
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:13 PM

View PostChawanmushi, on 18 March 2011 - 02:41 PM, said:

The thing with mints and basils ... you need to trim them often to get them to grow real bushy. If the flowers are allowed to form, that means they will deteriorate soon. So you need to cut away the flowers to get them to continue growing or regenerate for you.


Actually, Chawan, I think that mints don't suffer from this; only basils do. Mints can flower all they want and not die after.

Sky
0

#7 User is offline   Chawanmushi 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2116
  • Joined: 11-February 06
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Hougang
  • Interests:Trying to get green things to grow at Chawan's Landing!

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

View Postskyfiery, on 18 March 2011 - 05:13 PM, said:

Actually, Chawan, I think that mints don't suffer from this; only basils do. Mints can flower all they want and not die after.

Sky


Oh yes, that's right .... my write up was a bit unclear ... will correct.
Tks!
0

#8 User is offline   seesaw 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 24-November 10

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

the only problem i had with mint is they drinks lots of water.
try put them under shade.
0

#9 User is offline   skyfiery 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2513
  • Joined: 19-May 08
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Singapore
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:29 AM

View Postseesaw, on 25 March 2011 - 03:00 PM, said:

the only problem i had with mint is they drinks lots of water.
try put them under shade.


Putting mints under shade will result in them being etiolated and unhealthy. Mints actually like full sun. Unfortunately, yes, they are water guzzlers as well.

Sky
0

#10 User is offline   gummie 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: 07-October 10

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:51 AM

My mints from the market, possible spearmint, grows like a weed.

However, the pineapple mint and apple mints from hort park seems to be temperamental. Especially the pineapple mints. They were growing OK for a while, then started dying. Someone can help? What's wrong?
0

#11 User is offline   Lionel Teng 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 317
  • Joined: 06-March 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toa Payoh Kim Keat Avenue block 194 #03-398
  • Interests:Plants that I started growing:

    Herbs:
    Climbing Gyruna, Rose Catcus, Cat's Whisker
    Plantain Herbs, Chinese Knotweed, Patchouli

    Culinary Herbs:
    Thyme, Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Bay Leaf and Lemon Myrtle, Mint including Bergamot Mint, Tashkent Mint Corn Mint.Mexican Tarragon

    Currently Growing: Orchid Both Sun Loving and Shade Loving

    Including:

    Hybird
    LC,Laeliocattleya BLC, Brassolaeliocattleya

    Brassavola Codrata

    and also Jewel Orchids including Macodes Lowii,
    Anoectochilus Formansanus and also Roxburghii

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

View PostChawanmushi, on 18 March 2011 - 02:41 PM, said:

I have grown mints and basils without any problem. These herbs need at least 4-6 hours of sunlight for them to grow well. Some mints like the chocolate mints prefer less direct sunlight. Just need to know which ones.
The thing with mints and basils ... you need to trim them often to get them to grow real bushy. If the flowers of the basils are allowed to form, that means they will deteriorate soon. So you need to cut away the flowers to get them to continue growing or regenerate for you.

As for rosemary .... and the other medittarenean herbs ... these are more tricky to grow in our weather but not impossible. They need well drain rich soil, direct sunlight for some hours but they don't like the heat here.So if you can provide these conditions, they will grow well for you.

Happy growing your herbs!


Rosemary doesn't neccessary need rich soil, just take note water it accord to the weather is either to hot or cool in singapore, then when ur see aerial root grow on the stem of the plants can just simply pile soil on the stem this encourage them to grow more root and do spray water on them kept them wet if the weather is too hot for the cuban oregano. i use rosemary as a sheath for my cuban oregano and both of them doing well either.
0

#12 User is offline   Hjst 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 43
  • Joined: 15-April 12

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

View PostLionel Teng, on 11 March 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

Rosemary doesn't neccessary need rich soil, just take note water it accord to the weather is either to hot or cool in singapore, then when ur see aerial root grow on the stem of the plants can just simply pile soil on the stem this encourage them to grow more root and do spray water on them kept them wet if the weather is too hot for the cuban oregano. i use rosemary as a sheath for my cuban oregano and both of them doing well either.

Hi hi,

I've just started growing mints on my balcony, and it grows well! It gets abt 4 hours sun everyday, and 2 full cups of water, once in the morning and once at night. Getting bushy!! ;)/>
0

#13 User is offline   autumnsnow 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 235
  • Joined: 01-March 12
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Punggol
  • Interests:Flowers & edibles

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Hi everyone,

Is it true that peppermint is the one that has purplish stems and spearmint have spear (long) shaped leaves? I'm suddenly confused about my own pot of mints :(/>
0

#14 User is offline   lavendergarden 

  • Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Associate Member
  • Posts: 1252
  • Joined: 26-July 06
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:742 Evergreen Terrace Springfield
  • Interests:Lover of Lavenders. Huge Country Music Fan. Endorphin Junkie.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

Maybe you could try smelling them. Peppermint smells like candycane and spearmint perhaps abit like toothpaste?
0

#15 User is offline   Glory2 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 24-June 14

  Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:33 PM

Hi. I watch ucooking demos where they pluck leaves straight fr d pot in their kitchen. Thot of doing so w mint leaves. My Singapore kitchen is v tiny tho.
Questions:
1) how do I get hold of such a plant?
2) how do I grow it?
3) how to take care of it?

I assume it'll fragrance my kitchen. But if too troublesome, mayb I shd jus buy mint leaves fr supermart?
0

#16 User is offline   Ah Pek 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 674
  • Joined: 21-August 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vasco da Gama/Singapore/Bangalore/Johor Bahru/Houston
  • Interests:[FIG COLLECTOR]
    [RARE FRUITER]

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

My wife says the same.

Save time & money.

Buy from Cold Storage.

Then again, gardening gives you a lot of satisfaction and happiness.

So it depends which way u look at it.

For ease of use nothing beats supermarkets.

If u wanna grow them, get them from a nursery like World Farm @ Bah Soon Pah or Thong Hup @ Jurong.

FEF also carries them.

Call before you make ur way down.

View PostGlory2, on 24 June 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

Hi. I watch ucooking demos where they pluck leaves straight fr d pot in their kitchen. Thot of doing so w mint leaves. My Singapore kitchen is v tiny tho.
Questions:
1) how do I get hold of such a plant?
2) how do I grow it?
3) how to take care of it?

I assume it'll fragrance my kitchen. But if too troublesome, mayb I shd jus buy mint leaves fr supermart?

0

#17 User is offline   Laurence 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 51
  • Joined: 13-January 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Siglap
  • Interests:British Personal Trainer growing veg and herbs on my roof in singapore.

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:09 PM

I have mint thriving in my roof top. I will give anyone a plant if they come and get it and give me something in return. Up to you what. Even just some good advice...


My advice on my thriving mint in Singapore on my blog
http://laurencemanch...-grow-mint.html
0

#18 User is offline   Jbbaby 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 26
  • Joined: 20-September 14
  • Gender:Female

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:22 PM

View PostLaurence, on 26 September 2014 - 11:09 PM, said:

I have mint thriving in my roof top. I will give anyone a plant if they come and get it and give me something in return. Up to you what. Even just some good advice...


My advice on my thriving mint in Singapore on my blog
http://laurencemanch...-grow-mint.html



Hi Laurence,

Your rooftop garden is beautiful.... I have some mint cuttings in water since last friday from my sister-in-law; can i start to plant them in soil or shall i wait for a few more days? I have some soil leftover from my boy's sunflower & my butterfly pea plant; can i mix them together and start planting the cutting in a 5.5inch pot? I think i will only plant 1 cutting in a pot instead of a few cuttings in 1 pot. Really hope u can help me with this..... Thanks in advance:)

https://www.dropbox....132935.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox....132222.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox....151313.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox....132523.jpg?dl=0
0

#19 User is offline   sthh 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1862
  • Joined: 13-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sembawang

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:51 PM

Nice roots developing on your mint in water. Maybe you can consider growing them hydroponically? Oh Chin Huat also sell these mints in NTUC, and they are grown hydroponically as well.
0

#20 User is offline   Jbbaby 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 26
  • Joined: 20-September 14
  • Gender:Female

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:14 AM

View Poststhh, on 13 March 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

Nice roots developing on your mint in water. Maybe you can consider growing them hydroponically? Oh Chin Huat also sell these mints in NTUC, and they are grown hydroponically as well.


Hi sthh,
Oh really......:)/> So can u teach me how to grow mint hydroponically? Thanks
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users