Page 1 of 1

How to get rid of red ants

#1 User is offline   CCT 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

Hi

Wonder anyone here have experience in getting rid of red ants.

They are building nest on the leaves of the taller plants like mango trees or money plants on the palm. Lately, more are swamping the ground and it's getting very irritating.

The only thing I am doing right now is to spray insecticide or ants power to the nest but on higher branches, they are beyond reach.

Hope someone can share a more effective solution to solve this problem.

#2 User is offline   kw3822 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Registered Merchant

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:45 PM

View PostCCT, on 17 March 2011 - 09:36 PM, said:

Hi

Wonder anyone here have experience in getting rid of red ants.

They are building nest on the leaves of the taller plants like mango trees or money plants on the palm. Lately, more are swamping the ground and it's getting very irritating.

The only thing I am doing right now is to spray insecticide or ants power to the nest but on higher branches, they are beyond reach.

Hope someone can share a more effective solution to solve this problem.

use ant powder sparingly, a little will kill them in about 5 mins but a good powdering will kill them in < 1 min.
the next possible solution is using a slow killing ant control chemical.

#3 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:20 AM

These red ants (genus Oecophylla commonly called weaver ants) are nasty creatures and they bite ferociously and then splash the bite wound with formic acid.
somemore, they stink with a nasty stench.
funny thing is, they are eaten in parts of borneo. ants, and their larvae are grounded into a paste with other spice condiments. *YUCKS*
And, they are a natural pest controller cos they keep the tree free from caterpillars.

Can feed them with ant baits.. but I think needs to be in liquid form. They don't like dry stuff.

#4 User is offline   CCT 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hi

Thanks for the advise.

In this case, i probably have to use the combination of both. Ant power on visible nest (if reachable) and chemical to control those beyond reach.

I took a pic of Ant nest at the top of the money plant leaves

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l505/tcc39/Antsnest-1.jpg

Hi kw3822

Mind to advise where I can get the slow killing chemical? Are they harmful to plants?

#5 User is offline   John123john 

• Pip

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:45 AM

We have this unusual fire ant infestation (probably built a nest in the walls or something) and last year, one of the most effective solutions was some kind of white dusting powder. If you sprinkle it where the ants traffic, they die when they walk on it or eat it i guess and it can be used to create little "barricades" to prevent ants from crossing. The ants are back again and i'm keeping a post-it note for crushing and sticking ants whenever one walks across my desk. I wonder where that ant powder is.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users